Stressing out...sooo much to do!

Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant future
Unhappy Stressing out...sooo much to do!

Ok so i'm new on here but have spent the last 3 hours reading all the amazingly helpful posts and so i though i'd register in the hope that someone might be able to answer some questions and make this whole process a teeny bit easier! I've ended up in tears a good few times about all this!
Heres a bit of background info:
My name is Hannah and i'm an american citizen with the right to abode for the uk as my father is british. My partner is Karl - an aussie who is moving back to Sydney in October when his visa for here ends and wants to take me with him as his Fiancee (woo-hoo!). We've only been together for 6 months but have decided that we are the ones for eachother and we want to be married and live together in Australia. We have been living together here in the UK for about a month and have a joint bank account and he is a cardholder on one of my credit cards as well so we are very committed. We have decided to go for the Prospective Marriage Visa for me to enter oz and then we'll apply for the spouse visa after we're married.
I'm just so bewildered by the whole process - where do i start? I have printed every booklet and form that i think i need from the website www.immi.gov.au (and also some that i don't!) but i don't know what to attempt to do first. I was planning to go to Sydney in November (as i have a wedding to be in here at the end of October) and obviously want to get there to be with Karl as soon as possible!
There are so many things to read on this site i just am so confused and feel like i'm never going to be able to get it all done!
The main things i'd like to know is:
If anyone else has been in a similar situation - what did you start with?
When should i get my health checks done and where? What is the process?
When should i get my police checks done? What is the process?
Does everything we write down about our relationship have to be on Statuatory Declaration forms? Does this have to be actually watched by someone as we're writing them or do they just have to signed as being true?
Who can certify copies of these things and what needs to be certified?
We have a friend who is a police officer - can he certify everything? If so, how?
How do i find and Marriage celebrant in Sydney and what do i need to do with the NOIM?
I know there are a million questions and i have read so many answers to these but all have said contradicting things! If anyone can help me at all i'd be sooo grateful. Or maybe put me into contact with someone who can help me.
I'm stressing out - all i want to do is be with the one i love and its so much work! Hopefully it'll all be much less stressful than i am anticipating and we can be together asap!!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help - i make the best chocolate fudge brownies ever and will gladly send some to anyone who can help me!
Hannah xxx (email me if its easier at: EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED, please contact using private message facility

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 10th 2006 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stressing out...sooo much to do!

Oh and forgot one thing....we live together but at my mothers house so none of the utility bills or anything are in our names. We don't pay rent and only contribute to utility bills in cash paid straight to my mom so there's no activity of that kind on our bank account. Anyone know of any ways we can show our commitments to the household with out these things?
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:01 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hannah-Banana
Oh and forgot one thing....we live together but at my mothers house so none of the utility bills or anything are in our names. We don't pay rent and only contribute to utility bills in cash paid straight to my mom so there's no activity of that kind on our bank account. Anyone know of any ways we can show our commitments to the household with out these things?
Hi Hannah,

Don't know how much use I can be as I am currently sponsoring my OH to move to Australia under a de-facto spouse visa. Just wanted to wish you all the best.

We've got the applications all done - just waiting on the police clearance. It can take up to 40 days so make sure you get it in a timely manner. 40 days will be up on friday and we still haven't recieved my OH's yet

We got photocopies of heaps of stuff today - credit card bills, bank accounts, utility bills, tickets to concerts we both went to, etc.

We have 2 Statutory decs from Aussie friends/family members and another on the way from OZ right now.

Tomorrow we call the Notary public about getting some documents certified.

OH had his x-rays today £40 at Ealing Hospital and on Thurs we go to the Panel Dr in Ealing £110 plus £8 courier fee.

I cannot advice you much as you are doing the fiance/e visa and that is different to the de-facto spouse one. We couldn't do that as we have been together since 1998 and engaged since 2001

Anyway all the best.

Feel free to PM if you like.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hannah,
Well, the best news from your point of view is that in order to get a Prospective Marriage Visa you don't need to have lived together - the fact that you have, and that you have paperwork with joint names, is an excellent bonus.
Theres a list of approved doctors on the www.immi.gov.au DIMA site. Make sure that they know you are applying through London, and for which visa, and that the medical results should be sent there.
Police checks - you need a form from your local police HQ, may well be on their website (give me a yell if you're not sure which force covers you) - and thats for a Subject Access (Data Protection) check. You will probably also need an FBI check - that can take longer, details of how to apply on on the DIMA site as well under the police check section.

You can probably find a celebrant in Sydney via the net - just do a search and send some emails, thats all I did to find a Brisbane one. They can sort out the NOIM for you and send it over. You don't have to use that celebrant in the end by the way, if you find someone you prefer. THE NOIM gets filed with your application, but doesn't get submitted to the Australian registrar, so you can change the date before the evnt - as long as you marry within the 9 months. Most people submit a completely new NOIM nearer to the date.

The certifying can be done by a JP - ring your local magistrates court, and they should do it for free.

Hope that helps for now - I got my Pros Marriage visa3 years ago, but I don't think very much has changed. Give me a yell when you need more help!

Polly
Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

How do i find and Marriage celebrant in Sydney and what do i need to do with the NOIM?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help - i make the best chocolate fudge brownies ever and will gladly send some to anyone who can help me!
Hannah xxx (email me if its easier at: EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED, please contact using private message facility

Hi there,

First thing... Deep breaths!! It all seems really daunting and huge but in the long run as long as you are genuine you will be OK.
I married an Aussie after a whirlwind kind of thing (together 7 months then - now 3 1/2 years!!!). I wasn't even organized enough to go the Prospective marriage route. I just arrived and jumped in with both feet. They do look at you closer when you haven't been together that long but it's completely acheivable. Keep every bit of paper in a big file.

As for a celebrant, we had a great guy called Russell in Sydney who did a fantastic job. I think his website is www.russellhansen.com.au. he was really cool. PM me if I can be useful - I know it's a scary process but it's worth it (says the lady who got PR a couple of weeks ago!!!)
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:21 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prospective Marriage visa application

Hannah,

Your application would probably be lodged at the Australian High Commission in London. If you want to have a freebie chat about what the AHC would be looking for feel able to contact my colleague Lorraine Beaumont who used to work at the AHC handling such applications - you can reach Lorraine via 023 80 488777, or send me an email (alan - at - gomatilda - dot - com) with your telephone number.

Best wishes.

Ok so i'm new on here but have spent the last 3 hours reading all the amazingly helpful posts and so i though i'd register in the hope that someone might be able to answer some questions and make this whole process a teeny bit easier! I've ended up in tears a good few times about all this!
Heres a bit of background info:
My name is Hannah and i'm an american citizen with the right to abode for the uk as my father is british. My partner is Karl - an aussie who is moving back to Sydney in October when his visa for here ends and wants to take me with him as his Fiancee (woo-hoo!). We've only been together for 6 months but have decided that we are the ones for eachother and we want to be married and live together in Australia. We have been living together here in the UK for about a month and have a joint bank account and he is a cardholder on one of my credit cards as well so we are very committed. We have decided to go for the Prospective Marriage Visa for me to enter oz and then we'll apply for the spouse visa after we're married.
I'm just so bewildered by the whole process - where do i start? I have printed every booklet and form that i think i need from the website www.immi.gov.au (and also some that i don't!) but i don't know what to attempt to do first. I was planning to go to Sydney in November (as i have a wedding to be in here at the end of October) and obviously want to get there to be with Karl as soon as possible!
There are so many things to read on this site i just am so confused and feel like i'm never going to be able to get it all done!
The main things i'd like to know is:
If anyone else has been in a similar situation - what did you start with?
When should i get my health checks done and where? What is the process?
When should i get my police checks done? What is the process?
Does everything we write down about our relationship have to be on Statuatory Declaration forms? Does this have to be actually watched by someone as we're writing them or do they just have to signed as being true?
Who can certify copies of these things and what needs to be certified?
We have a friend who is a police officer - can he certify everything? If so, how?
I know there are a million questions and i have read so many answers to these but all have said contradicting things! If anyone can help me at all i'd be sooo grateful. Or maybe put me into contact with someone who can help me.
I'm stressing out - all i want to do is be with the one i love and its so much work! Hopefully it'll all be much less stressful than i am anticipating and we can be together asap!!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Prospective Marriage visa application

Hey everyone!
Firstly, wow! Thank you soo much for all of your replies - my faith in the kindness of strangers has been boosted! Thank you all for taking time out to help me - it is truly appreciated. Each piece of advice has already brought my anxiety levels down about a hundred notches! My OH is so calm as well which certainly helps - i flee to him like a crazy woman with all these worries and concerns and he just makes everything seem so simple - can you tell how great we are together?! He keeps me sane!!
I have made a list (using the requirements lists from the help booklets etc) of all the things that i think we need to have and I am going to get started on the things that you have all suggested straight away - i figure that if we just do a little bit each day then it should be less stressful. I'm sure i will be back on here asking more questions as i go along though!

ElshaUK - thanks for the good wishes and good luck with your application too! You seem to have everything organised - and thanks for the tip about getting the meds done in ealing - i live not far from there at all so that is definately an option.

Pollyanna - You seem to be an advice-angel on here! I'm going to get straight on to the police check process - i live only round the corner from a police station so i can get that going straight away. And that's great advice about the NOIM and celebrant - i had no idea that you could do that!

Un-Co - Its so great to hear that someone else has been in a similar position to me! And congrats on your PR - i can't wait for that to be me! I will definately contact the celebrant you gave me the details for - that was very kind of you ) and you're right - it will all be worth it in the end!

Alan Collett - huge thanks for the contacts you gave me - i will definately be contacting your colleagueand if i have any other questions i will certainly email you too )

Thanks again to everyone - let me know if you have any more pearls of wisdom to help me! And i will certainly contact you if i think of any other questions (which i'm sure i will)! And please let me know if i can help any of you - which i highly doubt but the offer is there anyway!
Take care, Hannah-Banana xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx