Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

The strength of the Ozzie Dollar Vs the British Pound

The strength of the Ozzie Dollar Vs the British Pound

Old Oct 1st 2002, 1:45 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The strength of the Ozzie Dollar Vs the British Pound

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Chris:
"pommie bastard" wrote in message
news:427047.1033135995@britishexpats-
.com
    > Also do not forget UK is in the worlds biggest market the EEC which is
    > still growing , Australia is just the arse end of world and unloved by
    > all Asian countrys around it.

lol What a tosser.

Chris
You could be right then again , right about what ?
Do you mean that your average Aussie is a Tosser I would back you up on that so would so would Asian countrys God Bless Them.
Old Oct 1st 2002, 1:52 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Robert Edwards:
What a sad life you have having to live such a paupers life in Australia
when you could return from whence you came and live like a King.

What a good idea UK here I come , before the Micky Mouse Dollar is devalued again.
Live like a king no Bobby but better than here YES, thank God they took the Queens head off the notes here , just left it on coins at lest they have scrap value .

Old Oct 1st 2002, 3:20 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by stay or go ?:

because bananas you can eat / smoke (if u have been to Uni, you will understand !). This mickey mouse australian peso - you cant do anything to it - its 100% waterproof / tear proof / fire proof, everything !!!! A point to the english coming over - buy a few monopoly games, as this is an effective method of currency smuggling ! And the exchange rate is quite good....

sarcasm aside, i have seen the $Aud crawl up from $2.51 to a knats fart under $3 to the pound......and there are no indicators of it coming down. makes life interesting to say the least when you are planning your Plan B escape route.
Dont want to be pedantic or anything but the Aussie dollar moving from $2.51 to $3 is a downward movement in the dollar, not upward. Each quid is worth $3 now, rather than $2.51, so the pound is the one thats gone up.

There are so many factors effecting the exchange rate that for us laymen to try to predict its movement is futile. There are so called professionals who are paid a fortune for spouting drivel about which way the exchange rate will move.

OK, so the dollar has always been a commodity backed currency, driven by movements in price/demand for Australian exports which are increasingly lagging behind imports. But there are many other factors at play such as the performance of the Australian stock exchange, interest rate differentials with Europe/US and the economic performance of Japan (which drives the demand for coal, which drives the price Australian coal exporters can negotiate with Japan in annual price fights, which drives the demand for dollars etc etc).

OK, I'm rambling, but this is just a tiny example of some of the drivers of the exchange rate.

Conclusion? If I was able to predict exchange rate movements I would be a very rich man but I would be probably be arrested for witchcraft and devilry.
Old Oct 1st 2002, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman:

Dont want to be pedantic or anything but the Aussie dollar moving from $2.51 to $3 is a downward movement in the dollar, not upward. Each quid is worth $3 now, rather than $2.51, so the pound is the one thats gone up.

couldnt resist Herman - numerically it is an upward movement !

sorry - having an arse of a day at work, one of those you want to write off before you lift back the duvet cover.

Witchcraft and Devilry ? Or a successful FX Trader (ok, a witch / devil in a suit !).

i'll go back to bed now.
Old Oct 1st 2002, 3:41 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

couldnt resist Herman - numerically it is an upward movement !

sorry - having an arse of a day at work, one of those you want to write off before you lift back the duvet cover.

Witchcraft and Devilry ? Or a successful FX Trader (ok, a witch / devil in a suit !).

i'll go back to bed now.
Yep, I probably should have said a 'weakening' but lets not argue over semantics. At the end of the day it means my savings, which i transferred across getting $2.65 are now worth less in pounds, and I need to move the savings back again because like you, we've been thinking "stay or go?" and the decision is "go". I look at the exchange rate several times a day on Bloomberg.co.uk but so far I do not like what I see. We've got 6 months for the dollar to buck up its ideas.
No such thing as a successful FX trader or a successful investment advisor or a successful analyst - they are all sheep who react to the past rather than predict the future and in their world "success" = "lucky gambler". They all get caught out in the end. I spend half my working life tearing their reports to bits and laughing at them.
Old Oct 1st 2002, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Yep, I probably should have said a 'weakening' but lets not argue over semantics. At the end of the day it means my savings, which i transferred across getting $2.65 are now worth less in pounds, and I need to move the savings back again because like you, we've been thinking "stay or go?" and the decision is "go". I look at the exchange rate several times a day on Bloomberg.co.uk but so far I do not like what I see. We've got 6 months for the dollar to buck up its ideas.
No such thing as a successful FX trader or a successful investment advisor or a successful analyst - they are all sheep who react to the past rather than predict the future and in their world "success" = "lucky gambler". They all get caught out in the end. I spend half my working life tearing their reports to bits and laughing at them.
i hear you. we have decided that rather than putting our savings back into sterling, we have purchased a car worth $30k here, and can secure a buyer for the value of c25k sterling. as we have had the car for 6mths (and checked out relative import costs etc at the Uk end), it was a good fallback plan to get our currency out of australia in some meaningful form. worth considering for your situation ?

only a contingency, but the numbers work for us. i shudder at the $2.84 to the pound it is now....
Old Oct 1st 2002, 3:59 am

i hear you. we have decided that rather than putting our savings back into sterling, we have purchased a car worth $30k here, and can secure a buyer for the value of c25k sterling. as we have had the car for 6mths (and checked out relative import costs etc at the Uk end), it was a good fallback plan to get our currency out of australia in some meaningful form. worth considering for your situation ?

only a contingency, but the numbers work for us. i shudder at the $2.84 to the pound it is now....
Interesting idea. I did contact HMC&E to ask about taxes on importing a car and was told that there would be none if we had owned it for more than 6 months. We've got a Mazda MX5, 2 years old, which we paid $33k cash for. Problem is that I think used car prices here are so high that we would get much less than $33k for it in the UK - I reckon it would fetch about 10k sterling so probably not worth the hassle for that car. What car can you buy for $30k thats worth 25k sterling? I'll take 3 of them! We've got quite a big problem actually as we have just over $200k to move back so the exchange rate can swing us thousands of pounds either way. I found a website once for a company that guarantees to give a better rate than highstreet banks. I'm going to look into that if the rate does'nt improve.
Old Oct 1st 2002, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Interesting idea. I did contact HMC&E to ask about taxes on importing a car and was told that there would be none if we had owned it for more than 6 months. We've got a Mazda MX5, 2 years old, which we paid $33k cash for. Problem is that I think used car prices here are so high that we would get much less than $33k for it in the UK - I reckon it would fetch about 10k sterling so probably not worth the hassle for that car. What car can you buy for $30k thats worth 25k sterling? I'll take 3 of them!

anything good from Daimler Chrysler - already priced up prospective buyers in the UK! *grin*
Old Oct 1st 2002, 4:08 am

anything good from Daimler Chrysler - already priced up prospective buyers in the UK! *grin*
With just over 6 months until we leave you have sparked my interest. Must investigate further. Examples? - Jeep Cherokee, others?
Old Oct 1st 2002, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

With just over 6 months until we leave you have sparked my interest. Must investigate further. Examples? - Jeep Cherokee, others?
Wrangler Jeeps seem popular...but all you have to do is think about what DECENT cars you dont see in the UK.

My other halfs step-dad fell in love with one of the top of the range Falcons when he was over here, worked out it would cost him 11k GBP to purchase in Aus, leave with me for 6mths then export. way cheaper than purchase over in the UK....
Old Oct 1st 2002, 4:42 am
Banned

Wrangler Jeeps seem popular...but all you have to do is think about what DECENT cars you dont see in the UK.

My other halfs step-dad fell in love with one of the top of the range Falcons when he was over here, worked out it would cost him 11k GBP to purchase in Aus, leave with me for 6mths then export. way cheaper than purchase over in the UK....

Food for thought whats wrong with buying Mondeos and shipping that back what second hand price on them?Otherwise these on list are most sort after in UK.

FORD Mondeos were yesterday voted Britain’s best second-hand cars.

They are fantastic value and well built, say motoring experts.

Mondeos cost up to £15,000 new, but an X-reg, 1.8 LX with 20,000 miles on the clock is around £8,000.

The number available keeps down the price.

The range, famous for prompting the phrase Mondeo Man — meaning the average person — won TWO awards in a What Car? survey.

It was best family second-hand car and top used model overall.

What Car? editor Rob Aherne said: “Canny buyers seeking a quality motor at a bargain price cannot go wrong.�

The What Car? used car winners were:

Car of the Year: Ford Mondeo 1.8;
Supermini: Peugeot 206 1.4;
Small Hatch: Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec;
Family Car: Ford Mondeo 1.8;
Compact Exec: Mercedes C200 Elegance;
Exec: BMW 523i SE;
Luxury: Jaguar XJ8 3.2;
4x4: Mercedes ML320;
MPV: Ford Galaxy TDi 115 Zetec;
Estate: Volvo V70 2.5;
Sports: Ford Puma 1.7;
Hot Hatch: Citroen Saxo VTR.
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 9:07 am
Chris

"Ceri" wrote in message
news:428567.1033299540@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by Chris:
    > > "Robert Edwards" wrote in message
    > > news:an29h0$18tc$1@austar-ne-
    > > ws.austar.net.au
    "]news:an29h0$18tc$1@aust--
    > >

> > ar-news.a-
    > > ustar.net.au[/url]...
    > > > What a sad life you have having to live such a paupers life in
    > > > Australia
    > > > when you could return from whence you came and live like a King.
    > >
    > > hehe My guess is he was just as unhappy in the UK - people like this
    > > are
    > > never happy, no matter what the circumstance.
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >
    > > > "pommie bastard" wrote in message
    > > > news:427047.1033135995@british-
    > > > expats.com
    "]news:427047.1033135995@br--
    > > >

> > > itishexpa-
    > > > ts.com[/url]...
    > > > > When we came 9years ago Micky Mouse Dollar was 2 to a pound so we
    > > > > have
    > > > > lost 50% of our money that we came with.
    > > > > The Aussie Dollar will weaken due to a the fact its imports will
    > > > > never
    > > > > match its exports its debts are getting bigger not smaller ,the
    > > > > bigger
    > > > > its economy gets the more it will owe.
    > > > > The pound will gain because the oil revenues are drying up so the
    > > > > British economy will turn back to whats its best at making things
    > > > > and
    > > > > finance.
    > > > > Also do not forget UK is in the worlds biggest market the EEC
    > > > > which is
    > > > > still growing , Australia is just the arse end of world and
    > > > > unloved by
    > > > > all Asian countrys around it.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > --
    > > > > Posted via http://b-
    > > > > ritishexpats.com/http://britishexpats.com

> > > >
    > >
    > PB is 100% correct in this case... the Aussie dollar is weak against the
    > pound.

I don't think anyone disputed this.

> I ma de money by bringing pounds (TT) to Australia, I'm waiting for the
    > Aussie dollar to go back up to send Aussie dollars back to Britain.

Australia's not a good choice to make loads of money and send it back to the
UK.

> He's correct , nothing to do with "unhappiness" etc,

I was more referring to his general bullshit, and such silly claims as:
"Australia is just the arse end of world and unloved by all Asian countrys
around it"

Possibly Indonesians and Malyasians, but that'd be about as far as you could
push that line.

Chris

Old Oct 3rd 2002, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Hi everyone,

Great thread. Keep it going.

For any of you poor expats, if you'd like to see some current used car prices have a look at the attached link to Autotrader.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/

I'm expecting my Visa around Dember-March, though I have to admit I'm beggining to have second thoughts about coming over to sunny Melbourne.

Old Oct 4th 2002, 1:34 am
Banned

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Chris:
was more referring to his general bullshit, and such silly claims as:
"Australia is just the arse end of world and unloved by all Asian countrys
around it"

Possibly Indonesians and Malyasians, but that'd be about as far as you could
push that line.

Chris

Lets forget that a countries worth is in its currency ,which as ex -PM Keating said would make Australia a Banana Republic, this good man spent years arse licking to Asian countries only to be told to sod off .Thank God the convicts voted to keep the Queen what would the Mickey Mouse Dollar worth with out her on it?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 4th 2002 at 7:08 am.