STNI & Vic

Old Jul 24th 2005, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default STNI & Vic

Can anyone on the board provide some insight as to the timeframe for an STNI application to Victoria: an impending birthday may well negate an application so words of wisdom are much appreciated.

We have the provisional acceptance from VIC but nothing else as of yet: to proceed we would need to (and please correct me here) get my teaching reg. for Vic (I have NZ reg. so there is a reciprocal arrangement should make this a brief process) but I don't gave a NOOSR assessment. All the paperwork including letters from Uni and course breakdown is in place however: both could be sent tomorrow and the forms are complete.

However if we do then submit our initial visa enquiry and are accepted (110 points at present without a bond) how long might it take? We could pre-load with meds and police certificate but even then ...

I'm 40 in Feb at which point we lose 5 points but if my wife return to work in September we would of course gain the same number of points in 12/24 months time ....

Finally, I am right in thinking that it is my age at the time the decision is made which is more important than when the initial form is accepted etc. i.e. might we be asked for meds (if not pre-loaded) in Jan but then find the time frame has expired ...

Sorry for the visaesque nature of the post but we are set on getting a Visa for Vic and possibly returning to Qld where we have previously spent a year in the longer term. Having returned to Melbourne to study a few years back we were most impressed: has anyone else lived on the Gold Coast/Brisie region and also Vic/Melb. Any views?

Ta

Bezza
Old Jul 24th 2005, 3:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: STNI & Vic

Originally Posted by Berian
Can anyone on the board provide some insight as to the timeframe for an STNI application to Victoria: an impending birthday may well negate an application so words of wisdom are much appreciated.

We have the provisional acceptance from VIC but nothing else as of yet: to proceed we would need to (and please correct me here) get my teaching reg. for Vic (I have NZ reg. so there is a reciprocal arrangement should make this a brief process) but I don't gave a NOOSR assessment. All the paperwork including letters from Uni and course breakdown is in place however: both could be sent tomorrow and the forms are complete.

However if we do then submit our initial visa enquiry and are accepted (110 points at present without a bond) how long might it take? We could pre-load with meds and police certificate but even then ...
What do you mean by "initial visa enquiry"?

Points are not a problem once you have an STNI nomination. Or you could apply for the Skill Matching visa. Either way, as far as I am aware you will need a NOOSR assessment.

Jeremy
Old Jul 24th 2005, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
What do you mean by "initial visa enquiry"?

What I should have said was skills assessment in order to apply for the visa - a New Zealnadish freudian slip perhaps? Is it permissable to apply whilst waiting for your skills assessment? Live in Victoria suggested it was possible but what is the time frame involved by AEI-NOOSR for teaching?

Points are not a problem once you have an STNI nomination. Or you could apply for the Skill Matching visa. Either way, as far as I am aware you will need a NOOSR assessment.

I thought under the STNI we needed 100 points - perhaps you might explain how I have missed this and clearly been rather dim! If so then the birthday is of no consequnce obvioulsy and it can all proceed at a much more logical pace.

Jeremy
So if Vic want me (as tehy seem to) - secondary teacher - and I am assessed as being suitably skilled (NOOSR) - am I right in thinking my application does not need to accumulate any point threshold?

Bezza
Old Jul 24th 2005, 4:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So if Vic want me (as tehy seem to) - secondary teacher - and I am assessed as being suitably skilled (NOOSR) - am I right in thinking my application does not need to accumulate any point threshold?

Bezza

There is effectively no points test for STNI - if you have a state nomination you only need to meet DIMIA basic requirements.

The Skilled Migration booklet is a "must-read."

Jeremy
Old Jul 24th 2005, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red face Re: STNI & Vic

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is effectively no points test for STNI - if you have a state nomination you only need to meet DIMIA basic requirements.

The Skilled Migration booklet is a "must-read."

Jeremy
Having already succesfully applied for a now outdated skilled independent visa application I thought I knew what I was doing!

I have the booklet and will read through once again but I think I have interpreted the below as the STNI threshold not the family/work sponsored pass mark.

Category Current pass mark Current pool mark
Skilled – Independent (subclass 136) visa 120 70
Skilled – Independent Regional (subclass 495) visa 110 110
Skilled – Australian Sponsored (subclass 138) visa 110 105

Thus, in theory, do I have until 45 (I won't be waiting that long) providing my occupation is still in demand and that I meet all of the requirements at the time from DIMA.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

Having already succesfully applied for a now outdated skilled independent visa application I thought I knew what I was doing!
The system in operation now is quite different to that of before 1 July 1999, if you originally applied then.

Did you let your PR visa expire, in that case? I recall you asking about RRVs in the past.

I have the booklet and will read through once again but I think I have interpreted the below as the STNI threshold not the family/work sponsored pass mark.

Category Current pass mark Current pool mark
Skilled – Independent (subclass 136) visa 120 70
Skilled – Independent Regional (subclass 495) visa 110 110
Skilled – Australian Sponsored (subclass 138) visa 110 105

Thus, in theory, do I have until 45 (I won't be waiting that long) providing my occupation is still in demand and that I meet all of the requirements at the time from DIMA.
Technically the 'pass mark' for STNI is 70 (the so-called 'pool mark'), but if you do the maths, you'll see that if you meet the basic requirements you will have at least 70 points anyway.

STNI nominations expire if they are not used within a specific time period, I think 6 months although it may depend on the state. Some people go for the Skill Matching visa instead.

Jeremy
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
The system in operation now is quite different to that of before 1 July 1999, if you originally applied then.

Did you let your PR visa expire, in that case? I recall you asking about RRVs in the past.

Technically the 'pass mark' for STNI is 70 (the so-called 'pool mark'), but if you do the maths, you'll see that if you meet the basic requirements you will have at least 70 points anyway.

STNI nominations expire if they are not used within a specific time period, I think 6 months although it may depend on the state. Some people go for the Skill Matching visa instead.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Our original visa has expired hence the second application.

Guess the best thing to do is proceed with the skills assessment and see where that takes us.

Is the skill-matching employer specific? The flexibility to be employed anywhere in Victoria would be hugely beneficial in securing the right post so …..

Thanks for the clear assistance

Bezza (Berian)

p.s. Any idea how I can change a username but retain the same email?
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

Is the skill-matching employer specific? The flexibility to be employed anywhere in Victoria would be hugely beneficial in securing the right post so …..
The Skill Matching visa is very similar to STNI. Look at the form 47SK and you'll see a box for it (Class BR, subclass 134). Occasionally someone who does not qualify for STNI can qualify for Skill Matching.

As to your other question - can't help - ask an administrator (eg Paul or ptlabs).

Jeremy
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:22 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 40 in Feb at which point we lose 5 points but if my wife return to work in September we would of course gain the same number of points in 12/24 months time ....

Finally, I am right in thinking that it is my age at the time the decision is made which is more important than when the initial form is accepted etc. i.e. might we be asked for meds (if not pre-loaded) in Jan but then find the time frame has expired ...

Sorry for the visaesque nature of the post but we are set on getting a Visa for Vic and possibly returning to Qld where we have previously spent a year in the longer term. Having returned to Melbourne to study a few years back we were most impressed: has anyone else lived on the Gold Coast/Brisie region and also Vic/Melb. Any views?

Ta

Bezza

Hi Bezza,

I'm a bit confused now by your situation - if you've got an STNI nomination then you'd only need 70 points (the minimum on the basic requirements) and could live anywhere in Victoria. Sad that you let your earlier PR slip but very lucky you've got an alternative.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Bezza,

I'm a bit confused now by your situation - if you've got an STNI nomination then you'd only need 70 points (the minimum on the basic requirements) and could live anywhere in Victoria. Sad that you let your earlier PR slip but very lucky you've got an alternative.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
George,

More accurately I've been invited by Live in Vic to formally apply for State Nomination having completed the pre-nomination stage. I have teacher reg. in the bag so to speak from my NZ registration.

From Jeremy's assitance it is clear that I just need to get on with the formal business of NOOSR and then lodging the application.

Had convivned myself that I needed 110 points .... makes you wonder how on earth I'd got the PR in the first place. Great opportunity but at the wrong time!

Very lucky to have an alternative I know so time to sieze the day.

Thanks

Bezza