Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

State sponsorship vs. family sponsorship - what's the difference?

State sponsorship vs. family sponsorship - what's the difference?

Old May 16th 2008, 4:10 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default State sponsorship vs. family sponsorship - what's the difference?

I have enough points for my Skilled Worker Migrant visa application if I obtain either State OR Family sponsorship - both of which are otions that are open to me.

I've tried to read through the http://www.immi.gov.au web-site to see what, if any, difference there is but as far as I can tell, the restrictions in both cases are exactly the same. An immigration agent has told me in the past, however, that there are more restrictions on you when you apply for family sponsorship compared to state sponsorship. He told me, for example, that family sponsored visa applicants have medicare restrictions, and that you are tied to working in the same dedicated area for 2 years, and that it's just a temporary visa which means you have to apply for a permanent visa after 3 years, whereas none of these restrictions apply if you come in under state sponsorship.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

- CDM
Old May 16th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: State sponsorship vs. family sponsorship - what's the difference?

We had 2 options- a 175 skilled independent visa which is a permanent visa and allows you to go anywhere in Oz or a 176 skilled sponsored visa (sponsored by my OH sister) which is pretty much the same but if a 175 visa is refused it's tough luck whereas if a 176 is refused you have the right to appeal.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:16 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I have enough points for my Skilled Worker Migrant visa application if I obtain either State OR Family sponsorship - both of which are otions that are open to me.

I've tried to read through the http://www.immi.gov.au web-site to see what, if any, difference there is but as far as I can tell, the restrictions in both cases are exactly the same. An immigration agent has told me in the past, however, that there are more restrictions on you when you apply for family sponsorship compared to state sponsorship. He told me, for example, that family sponsored visa applicants have medicare restrictions, and that you are tied to working in the same dedicated area for 2 years, and that it's just a temporary visa which means you have to apply for a permanent visa after 3 years, whereas none of these restrictions apply if you come in under state sponsorship.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

- CDM
Dear CDM,

The rules relating to regional sponsored general skilled migration visas changed last year with the introduction of the new system on 1 September. You ought to update your advice with that in mind.

Generally the biggest advantage of family sponsorship is that you don't need to make a written application to your uncle or sister and wait 4-6 weeks for them to agree to sponsor you.

Also true that with family sponsored there is a right of review, and we've helped two families with MRT cases recently, cases which wouldn't have been possible if either independent applicants or state sponsored.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old May 17th 2008, 1:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Generally the biggest advantage of family sponsorship is that you don't need to make a written application to your uncle or sister and wait 4-6 weeks for them to agree to sponsor you.
I thought you do have to do that with family sponsorship. But there is an application process for state sponsorship too.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM

The advice given about the family sponsored visa does not apply to the permanent sponsored visa, subclass 176.
Old May 18th 2008, 6:03 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

So, just to make sure I understand this correctly, since I have a skill that's on the SOL and my relatives (first cousins) are more than happy to sponsor me, it seems that the "Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)" is the visa that I should be applying for?

Since I'm a UK citizen and can obviously speak English natively, do I automatically qualify for the 25 points or must is pass the English speaking test?

With either the 15 or 25 points for English language, I have 110 points or better with family sponsorship.

Assuming my visa application for subclass 176 is successful, will there be any particular restrictions on me compared to other visa types? Will I, for example, have any problem getting a mortgage because of the type of visa? Is the 176 a temporary visa that I need to renew or would I otherwise have to apply for a new, permanent visa after a period of time?

- CDM
Old May 18th 2008, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Harry_Elaine is just really niceHarry_Elaine is just really niceHarry_Elaine is just really niceHarry_Elaine is just really niceHarry_Elaine is just really niceHarry_Elaine is just really niceHarry_Elaine is just really niceHarry_Elaine is just really nice

My understanding / interpretation (and i am a novice....early stage of applying) is that in terms of conditions / entitlements etc there is no real difference. They are almost identical visa's except the pass mark is lower, probably because you are joining family that can support you if it all goes pearshaped. From waht i can see you ahve the same medicare and right to apply for citizenship etc. Just a small amount of hassle for your family getting docs certified and completing the form (which isnt too bad).

We are goin down the same road, OH is a nurse and has sister over there but we dont want to be obligated for her to work, originally thought about 175 but now going down 176 route as it will save us money getting my skills assessed and save her doing an english test, we have 115 points and obviously the lower 100 pass mark for 176 puts us well in the frameins tead of tryign to muster up ther other 5 points for 175.

I may be well off the mark......but i think i have understood it correctly, also heard of 176 visa being processed a bit quicker, but not too sure how much truth is in that.

Be good to hear what others think...........???

H & E
Old May 19th 2008, 1:37 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by CDM
So, just to make sure I understand this correctly, since I have a skill that's on the SOL and my relatives (first cousins) are more than happy to sponsor me, it seems that the "Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)" is the visa that I should be applying for?

If you check the requirements you may see that first cousins cannot sponsor for the 176, so you may have to look at one of the temporary options instead.

Or get a state/territory to sponsor you for the 176.
Old May 19th 2008, 4:13 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you check the requirements you may see that first cousins cannot sponsor for the 176, so you may have to look at one of the temporary options instead.

Or get a state/territory to sponsor you for the 176.
Doh! I was sure I'd read in the past that first cousins were able to provide sponsorship but this must have been for a different visa. This is a real blow, as it now means that I have to 'rely' on state sponsorship, which isn't a given.

What are the 'temporary options' you are referring to? Perhaps this is what the immigration agent was referring to originally (all those strings attached).

- CDM
Old May 19th 2008, 4:49 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

OK, I think I now finally understand. The immigration agent had previously advised me to apply for the following visa:

Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subcladd 475)

It looks like I'll have sifficient points for this visa. I can get the 60 points for being on the SOL (going through the RPL procedure at the moment). 25 points for being a native English speaker (if I read the website correctly, UK nationals don't need to take the English test?). 15 points for my age. 10 points for specific work experience. So that's 110 points. My sponsoring relatives are first Cousins.

Although my skill (UNIX Sysems Manager) is not listed per se on the MODL, the same ASCO code IS listed - but I'm assuming that BOTH the ASCO code AND the description need to match before I can get the additional MODL points?

So, the real question that I'm still grapling with is whether this is the correct visa I should be applying for after all?

- CDM