British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Spouse Visa Thread continued - 2012-2014 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/spouse-visa-thread-continued-2012-2014-a-784125/)

moneypenny20 Aug 7th 2012 10:47 pm

Re: Spouse Visa Circle continued - Dec 2010 onwards

Originally Posted by Alex997_99 (Post 10216405)
Could anyone please recommend any migration agent who has had experience with spouse visa application at the New Delhi high commission?
Thanks

Highly unlikely anyone on here would know but surely a Spouse Visa application is the same the world over. What's so special about New Delhi?

Alex997_99 Aug 8th 2012 2:10 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10216466)
Highly unlikely anyone on here would know but surely a Spouse Visa application is the same the world over. What's so special about New Delhi?

It is special alrite!
We lodged a 309 application in Jan through a MARA reg agent in Jan and lodged a tourist application soon after for my wife;she was granted a single entry visa for 6 months.
In June,we received their letter stating my wife needs to be offshore in order to finalise the application;the letter even stated that we need to be in a country where visa could be evidenced.My wife,then had a tourist visa valid till August end and did not have the 'no further stay condition' which meant we could have possibly applied for an extension of the tourist visa.
Anyways,when my wife left Australia,the case officer got back stating she needed extra photos of the Hindu marriage ceremony and since the marriage is already done,it is a good idea to have these done now,which in her opinion would make the marriage valid,in her opinion! We even submitted these and I made a quick visit for this.Now,upon enquiring over the phone they are quoting the global standard of 12 months!when their service standard is 7!
Our agent,besides voicing his frustration,has been unable to do much and we think,we are in no man's land as my wife cannot enter back to lodge an onshore application and they have no date to give,as to when it could be finalised.
Can they actually cheat someone like that by asking them to leave the country and then stating we are going to take long?
Any insightful suggestions from anyone would be welcome because our agent,sure has NONE!

Cheers,

Alex.

Pollyana Aug 8th 2012 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Alex997_99 (Post 10216833)
It is special alrite!
We lodged a 309 application in Jan through a MARA reg agent in Jan and lodged a tourist application soon after for my wife;she was granted a single entry visa for 6 months.
In June,we received their letter stating my wife needs to be offshore in order to finalise the application;the letter even stated that we need to be in a country where visa could be evidenced.My wife,then had a tourist visa valid till August end and did not have the 'no further stay condition' which meant we could have possibly applied for an extension of the tourist visa.
Anyways,when my wife left Australia,the case officer got back stating she needed extra photos of the Hindu marriage ceremony and since the marriage is already done,it is a good idea to have these done now,which in her opinion would make the marriage valid,in her opinion! We even submitted these and I made a quick visit for this.Now,upon enquiring over the phone they are quoting the global standard of 12 months!when their service standard is 7!
Our agent,besides voicing his frustration,has been unable to do much and we think,we are in no man's land as my wife cannot enter back to lodge an onshore application and they have no date to give,as to when it could be finalised.
Can they actually cheat someone like that by asking them to leave the country and then stating we are going to take long?
Any insightful suggestions from anyone would be welcome because our agent,sure has NONE!

Cheers,

Alex.

If you already have an agent no other reputable agent will advise you except in general terms - its unethical.
A hotline contact centre will only ever give you the generic timeline. Your agent needs to contact the Case Officer, not the hotline, and talk direct to them. OR you can remove your agent, and then contact the CO yourself - or engage a new agent to do this on your behalf.

rackspace Aug 12th 2012 11:12 pm

If sponsor's address, employment status, phone number changes in Australia. Do applicant needs to tell the processing center about this? If yes, how?

Pollyana Aug 13th 2012 1:29 am

Originally Posted by rackspace (Post 10224482)
If sponsor's address, employment status, phone number changes in Australia. Do applicant needs to tell the processing center about this? If yes, how?

As the Spouse will presumably be living with the sponsor by the time the second stage comes along, yes they should be notified of changes in contact details.No need to worry about employment info though.

med Aug 14th 2012 4:58 am

Hi guys,
My wife will apply for a spouse visa from overseas (France) as that's where she is currently. My question is would a scanned stat declaration be considered acceptable by DIAC (i.e form 888 to be signed, sent by email, then printed)? Thanks for your feedback

moneypenny20 Aug 14th 2012 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by med (Post 10227216)
Hi guys,
My wife will apply for a spouse visa from overseas (France) as that's where she is currently. My question is would a scanned stat declaration be considered acceptable by DIAC (i.e form 888 to be signed, sent by email, then printed)? Thanks for your feedback

It needs to be the original document.

med Aug 15th 2012 4:12 am

Thanks Moneypenny20

belles Aug 16th 2012 12:38 am

Originally Posted by MadMuvva (Post 10208916)
I just phoned the High Commission in London today. They said the waiting time is now 8-9 months! What the? Have they made a load of people redundant or is everyone heading to Oz? Will we ever get there? Sending my forms off Monday.

That's interesting as I spoke to them about the same time and they said it's still 5-6 months but we lodged our application mid-June so maybe it's just increased? Then again, our case office being on annual leave for 4 1/2 weeks won't delay the application either according to them. I'd hoped it would come through quickly as they phoned the day after I submitted it to say they had everything they needed and to get checks, but not looking that way. Frustrating as we only need to hand in a month's notice on the flat and hubby at work yet flights are going up all the time and worried lots of accommodation will be booked out for our arrival. Limbo land....

Pollyana Aug 16th 2012 12:56 am

Originally Posted by belles (Post 10230410)
That's interesting as I spoke to them about the same time and they said it's still 5-6 months but we lodged our application mid-June so maybe it's just increased? Then again, our case office being on annual leave for 4 1/2 weeks won't delay the application either according to them. I'd hoped it would come through quickly as they phoned the day after I submitted it to say they had everything they needed and to get checks, but not looking that way. Frustrating as we only need to hand in a month's notice on the flat and hubby at work yet flights are going up all the time and worried lots of accommodation will be booked out for our arrival. Limbo land....

They are only allowed to grant so many each month, so even if the application is all OK it has to wait its turn to be granted. Thats why the CO being away won't impact on it. Frustrating I know, but at least you know they have all they need :)

belles Aug 16th 2012 1:11 am

Assumed that was the case, a hint of whether it's going to be Nov or Dec would be useful though so we can book flights! We want to go travelling in Burma for a month first so would be good to know whether we're likely to hit Chinese New Year or not....

Jord w Aug 16th 2012 1:18 am

Our case officer is away at the moment too. Shes back on Monday though, luckily for us we aren't in a major rush but it would be nice to have my partners visa before we visit in December. We have been told September/October time :)

dreamzz Aug 16th 2012 5:41 pm

Hi,

I applied offshore partner visa for my wife on 1st week of July. We immediately applied for a tourist visa and she has got single entry 6 months, and she came to oz on 3rd week of July.

I understand the CO will contact us after 12 weeks of time. (Initial assessment of partner applications is being undertaken 12 weeks from the date of lodgement. - http://www.india.embassy.gov.au/ndli/vm0311.html)

Can you pls help me on some queries regarding the partner visa?

Does she needs to be in India when CO contacts her?

Will CO ask for police certificate after 12 weeks or at the end of processing (after 6-7 months?) Any first hand experience on this??

Is it advisable if we get police certificate now and keep it ready? If I have to apply for police certificate from Aus, Indian High commission takes 2 months to process.

Will CO ask to do medicals after 12 weeks or at the end of processing (after 6-7 months?)

Can we do medicals from Australia for visa lodged outside oz?

Sorry for so many questions.... the 175 I did some years back was so simple and straight forward !!

moneypenny20 Aug 16th 2012 7:42 pm

Impossible to tell. Your wife could risk getting the PCC considering it takes two months to come through, however she will have to be prepared to move over within a short window of time if the visa is granted but in a longer timescale than that currently suggested.

She will have to inform DIAC of the dates she will be in Aus as the visa can only be granted when she is offshore. If she's already here she should already have told them. If she can give all the information required when asked for it when she is in Aus she can be here but obviously she'll have to give contact details in Aus. If it's email it doesn't make much odds but they may choose to either write or even call - unlikely but you never know.

The CO can ask for both the Meds and PCC whenever they want to, it may be on first contact, it may not. It won't be at the end of processing as they have to be processed, obviously.

The Spouse Visa is way simpler and quicker than the skilled visas ever have been. It's your situation that's creating issues for you.

nevster Aug 28th 2012 7:01 am

Just an update for those waiting on grants from the UK. Submitted application for my wife on 30/03/2012. Visa was granted this morning. So just under 5 months processing time for us.

LizzieTYK Aug 28th 2012 8:13 am

Originally Posted by nevster (Post 10251234)
Just an update for those waiting on grants from the UK. Submitted application for my wife on 30/03/2012. Visa was granted this morning. So just under 5 months processing time for us.

many congrats! I submitted mine 10 days before you, chased my CO last week and she said it would be granted "within the next few weeks", here's hoping it'll be sooner rather than later!

Jord w Aug 29th 2012 10:33 am

Originally Posted by nevster (Post 10251234)

Many congrats, my wifes application was 5 weeks behind yours so we have a little longer to wait. :fingerscrossed:
I am guessing your wife was granted a permanent visa?

Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

dalam Sep 10th 2012 2:17 pm

Hi
My partner has already applied Partner VISA 309/100 from offshore. But due to some misunderstanding between us, we are decided to separate from each other, still we do not think to divorce. Is there any process to temorarily stop the process of VISA for few times until our relation become OK.I am the sponsor of the VISA. Pls suggest me.

Thanks
MD Alam

moneypenny20 Sep 10th 2012 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by dalam (Post 10274260)
Hi
My partner has already applied Partner VISA 309/100 from offshore. But due to some misunderstanding between us, we are decided to separate from each other, still we do not think to divorce. Is there any process to temorarily stop the process of VISA for few times until our relation become OK.I am the sponsor of the VISA. Pls suggest me.

Thanks
MD Alam

You are legally bound to inform DIAC of any change in circumstance. As far as I'm aware the only reason given for an application to be put on hold is medical ie a female requiring the medical but being pregnant so the application is suspended until the birth of the child.

Pollyana Sep 10th 2012 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by dalam (Post 10274260)
Hi

Thanks
MD Alam

No.
If you are no longer in a long-term, committed, relationship with your spouse you cannot apply for a spouse visa - that would defeat the object, as DIAC could well be granting a visa to someone who will split from their partner as soon as they get to Australia.

MadMuvva Sep 13th 2012 4:24 am

Hi folks,

I have been told I could be waiting until next May to get my spouse visa (PR). My husband went in May this year and I can't keep family apart a whole year. I looked at tourist visas. There is one you can get for 12 months. Will it be quite straightforward to get that one and then just hop over to NZ when PR ready to be granted?

Just so fed up. Someone I spoke to other day got a business visa in 1 day and they don't have kids yet we are being treated like this. Just isn't fair on the kids, who are citizens but they can't go til I can.

Thanks

Pollyana Sep 13th 2012 9:04 am

Originally Posted by MadMuvva (Post 10279350)
Hi folks,

I have been told I could be waiting until next May to get my spouse visa (PR). My husband went in May this year and I can't keep family apart a whole year. I looked at tourist visas. There is one you can get for 12 months. Will it be quite straightforward to get that one and then just hop over to NZ when PR ready to be granted?

Just so fed up. Someone I spoke to other day got a business visa in 1 day and they don't have kids yet we are being treated like this. Just isn't fair on the kids, who are citizens but they can't go til I can.

Thanks

Yes you can apply for a tourist visa, as long as you are using it to go for a holiday not to migrate on.You will need to tell your CO what you are doing. No-one can tell you whether they will grant it for the full 12 months though, and remember you will not be able to work during that time. UK timeline does still seem to be around 5 months to get a Spouse visa.

As for the wait being unfair, that's just the way it goes. Many spouse visa applicants going to the US are parted for a couple of years and they are limited to brief visits while waiting.

MadMuvva Sep 13th 2012 9:18 am

Thanks.

Thing is, I will be migrating not taking a holiday. Kids will be going permanently and I won't be returning to the UK so how can I maintain it's for a holiday? It's just a way to get there quicker.

Don't think I'll move to the US then!

Pollyana Sep 13th 2012 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by MadMuvva (Post 10279805)
Thanks.

Thing is, I will be migrating not taking a holiday. Kids will be going permanently and I won't be returning to the UK so how can I maintain it's for a holiday? It's just a way to get there quicker.

Don't think I'll move to the US then!

You will need to arrive with the intention of holidaying here to visit your partner, with the intention of returning home at the end of the holiday - unless the visa is granted while you are here. If you arrive at Immigration and tell them that you do not intend to leave, and are actually arriving to live here they MAY refuse you entry on a tourist visa. That's because tourist visas are designed for holidays and if you want to live here you need to get the right visa first.
Several posters have done as you are proposing though - its all about your intentions when you arrive. If you are just bringing the kids to see their father and then intend to return home again, thats fine ;)

MadMuvva Sep 14th 2012 4:43 am

Hmmm. thanks. No matter what I tell them, I think they will work out what I am doing or is just a case of saying the right thing? Hubby's company are paying for one way tickets. So would I need to present a return air ticket? I don't want to do that for the kids, but they are citizens so could say I would leave them with their Dad. I will also be bringing a shed load of baggage as they are paying excess baggage and the house contents will be going when we do. I think I need to discuss with case officer. I will be up front and honest with her because I do not have the cash to be to-ing and fro-ing from the UK!

Thanks for help:thumbup:

Pollyana Sep 14th 2012 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by MadMuvva (Post 10281114)
Hmmm. thanks. No matter what I tell them, I think they will work out what I am doing or is just a case of saying the right thing? Hubby's company are paying for one way tickets. So would I need to present a return air ticket? I don't want to do that for the kids, but they are citizens so could say I would leave them with their Dad. I will also be bringing a shed load of baggage as they are paying excess baggage and the house contents will be going when we do. I think I need to discuss with case officer. I will be up front and honest with her because I do not have the cash to be to-ing and fro-ing from the UK!

Thanks for help:thumbup:

Discussion with the CO would seem the best plan - certainly better than just getting a touirst visa and turning up - one way tickets and excess baggage would be a major red flag! You may well find that the CO can sort something out, if only by way of giving you a better idea of how long the wait currently is. - good luck :)

MadMuvva Sep 14th 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks Polyanna. :)

LizzieTYK Sep 22nd 2012 10:05 pm

My visa has been granted, woo-hoo! I applied on 19 March and it was granted on 14 September, so just a smidgeon under 6 months and at the outside of the 5/6 months they quoted when I applied.

Hope that gives an idea to others of current processing times!

Now, got to get cracking with organising the move, we have flights booked for early December....

moneypenny20 Sep 22nd 2012 11:37 pm

Congrats.:D

LizzieTYK Sep 23rd 2012 1:11 am

Forgot to say, thanks again for all the helpful people on the forum who answered all my stupid questions quickly and with good spirit. Much appreciated!

Pincher Sep 23rd 2012 2:00 am

I just want to say 'Hi' to all.
As you can see I have been a member of BE for quite a few years now and have had a couple of missed opportunities to emigrate (Me, Canada. The OH, USA). Both long and involved tales of woe and frustration.
However, hopefully we are in a position to fulfill our long awaited dreams. Our lives are now in a position where I can go ahead and, finally, apply for my spouse visa. Going to start getting the paperwork together and fingers crossed.
I've naturally been following this thread for some time now, and found it immeasurably helpful and friendly with great advice.:thumbsup:

Jord w Oct 22nd 2012 12:11 am

We have been told my wife's visa will be approved by the 9th of November :)

brian.w Oct 22nd 2012 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Jord w (Post 10343368)
We have been told my wife's visa will be approved by the 9th of November :)

How do you know this?My wife's visa was submitted if i remember right about may also,with an agent,meds and police certs done about a month ago now which was the final thing needed after baby was born,now wondering how long it takes.

Jord w Oct 22nd 2012 12:28 am

We sent our case officer a quick email and asked, she came back with this date!
Just over the 6 month turnaround, my wife completed her medical around 5 months ago when requested.

jmm2905 Oct 26th 2012 12:52 am

Hi All. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but have been playing the waiting game with DIAC. :whistle:

I'm thrilled to say that my partner migration visa was approved yesterday! WOOHOO! :egyptian:

The processing time was just a smidge under 6 months. My CO at DIAC was incredibly helpful and always kept me in the loop on the progress.

I wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who provided much needed advice and guidance, without your knowledge, the forum would most certainly not exist.

For those still waiting on their applications, all I can say is be patient. As they say, no news is good news.

It was a great pleasure dealing with DIAC, unlike the British Home Office who should clearly learn a thing or two from the Aussies. As I'm now somewhat of an old hand at this, I'd be more than happy to also give my 2 cents worth.

Now the REAL hard work begins! Booking flights, giving notice on our rent, packing up and shipping stuff over to AUS etc. It sure is going to be worth it all in the end. :thumbsup:

old.sparkles Oct 26th 2012 12:54 am

Originally Posted by jmm2905 (Post 10351006)
Hi All. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but have been playing the waiting game with DIAC. :whistle:

I'm thrilled to say that my partner migration visa was approved yesterday! WOOHOO! :egyptian:

The processing time was just a smidge under 6 months. My CO at DIAC was incredibly helpful and always kept me in the loop on the progress.

I wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who provided much needed advice and guidance, without your knowledge, the forum would most certainly not exist.

For those still waiting on their applications, all I can say is be patient. As they say, no news is good news.

It was a great pleasure dealing with DIAC, unlike the British Home Office who should clearly learn a thing or two from the Aussies. As I'm now somewhat of an old hand at this, I'd be more than happy to also give my 2 cents worth.

Now the REAL hard work begins! Booking flights, giving notice on our rent, packing up and shipping stuff over to AUS etc. It sure is going to be worth it all in the end. :thumbsup:

Congratulations :D - as you say, the real work starts now - have fun :)

SillyOldBag Oct 26th 2012 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jmm2905 (Post 10351006)

Congratulations :thumbsup: Good luck with the move! Make plenty of time for saying all your goodbyes and go visit any places you think you'll miss to store up some recent good memories :)

Enjoy your visa celebrations!

Pollyana Oct 29th 2012 8:44 am

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 10343375)
How do you know this?My wife's visa was submitted if i remember right about may also,with an agent,meds and police certs done about a month ago now which was the final thing needed after baby was born,now wondering how long it takes.

Spouse Visas from the UK are one of the few subclasses for which timelines can be predicted. However they can only give you a grant date once they have everything finalised. It then goes into a queue to wait for grant, as only a certain number can be granted each month.

UK timelines have been around 5-6 months for some time now.

Pincher Oct 31st 2012 3:22 am

Query regarding dependent family member over 18 (Form 47A).
I have 2 step children aged 18 and 22. They both have dual citizenship and passports. Our 22 year old is independent and lives on her own, while my 18 year old still lives with us.
Both are still undecided as to whether or not they will emigrate with us.

As neither has to apply for a visa, do they still need to complete a form 47A?

Thanks, P.

moneypenny20 Nov 2nd 2012 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pincher (Post 10359298)
Query regarding dependent family member over 18 (Form 47A).
I have 2 step children aged 18 and 22. They both have dual citizenship and passports. Our 22 year old is independent and lives on her own, while my 18 year old still lives with us.
Both are still undecided as to whether or not they will emigrate with us.

As neither has to apply for a visa, do they still need to complete a form 47A?

Thanks, P.

They should not be involved in the application at all. They're citizens.