Spouse Visa Circle

Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:48 am
Aff
Just Joined

Aff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse Visa Circle

Originally Posted by MiniMe180
Hi Everyone

Congratulations to all of you who have received your visas.

I'm in worry mode again so I thought I'd try and find a shoulder to cry on.

Basically I'm just getting very irritated with how old fashioned the spouse visa application system seems to be. My partner and I have been living together for just over a year now and I'm going to wait a little longer before sending my application, just to be sure that we have enough evidence.

The only thing is that the only evidence we have that really shows we have been living together for the whole of that time is our joint rental agreement. We have bills but they are separate; we each pay for different ones. But the fact is that a lot of utility companies only want one person's name. Also, our landlord just wants rent in a single payment so it's easier for my partner to pay that. It just means that I pay more of the other bills and the food shopping. We also have a joint savings account (set up quite recently) but they send us letters separately (although to the same address). The same happens with our joint credit card; I am the first cardholder so they send all letters to me alone.

It's just so old fashioned to think that couples will automatically have joint accounts for everything. It doesn't mean we're any less together! So basically what I want to know is whether all this will matter as long as we are able to explain and show that we still support each other?

Sorry about the rant and the length of this post.

Thanks for your help.
Thanks for everyone who offered me advice earlier in this thread. I didn't respond to each person individually. I just needed a break from Visa talk but it helped enormously so thank you.

Figured I'd come back and see if I could offer some support and / or advice to others based on what I've thus far been through.

From what I understand, MiniMe, they do take modern relationships into account and any circumstances are accepted so long as they're explained and documented.

I was initially refused and told that I needed to show more evidence. I panicked (you could maybe look up my posts further up this thread) and began to really stress that I couldn't find any more and that I'd sent everything I possibly could.

But after some advice on here and plenty of research, I worked out quite a bit more evidence that I could send along with statements explaining exactly why our relationship is the way it is and why we don't have this, that or the other and can't provide certain things. We lodge with parents, don't have bills in both our names, don't have a car for joint insurance etc. Our joint account even comes in just my name so I rung the bank, explained the situation and they've kindly sent me a letter stating that although it's in my name only, it is in fact a joint account.

I'm a lot more confident now and feel as though I was a bit wet behind the ears initially. They do take circumstances into account and I'm sure you'll be just fine so long as you state everything in as much detail as possible, along with supporting evidence. Try not to panic!

Last edited by Aff; Aug 20th 2008 at 10:51 am.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Congratulations to all of you who have received your visas.

I'm in worry mode again so I thought I'd try and find a shoulder to cry on.

Basically I'm just getting very irritated with how old fashioned the spouse visa application system seems to be. My partner and I have been living together for just over a year now and I'm going to wait a little longer before sending my application, just to be sure that we have enough evidence.

The only thing is that the only evidence we have that really shows we have been living together for the whole of that time is our joint rental agreement. We have bills but they are separate; we each pay for different ones. But the fact is that a lot of utility companies only want one person's name. Also, our landlord just wants rent in a single payment so it's easier for my partner to pay that. It just means that I pay more of the other bills and the food shopping. We also have a joint savings account (set up quite recently) but they send us letters separately (although to the same address). The same happens with our joint credit card; I am the first cardholder so they send all letters to me alone.

It's just so old fashioned to think that couples will automatically have joint accounts for everything. It doesn't mean we're any less together! So basically what I want to know is whether all this will matter as long as we are able to explain and show that we still support each other?

Sorry about the rant and the length of this post.

Thanks for your help.
As long as you can demonstrate either with accounts on paper, or by writing about it in your statement, that you share costs/bills/rent etc and will support each ther financially, thats what they want to see.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

MiniMe180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aff
Our joint account even comes in just my name so I rung the bank, explained the situation and they've kindly sent me a letter stating that although it's in my name only, it is in fact a joint account.
That's really good advice, thanks Aff. I hadn't thought of that. I think I just need to really get started and have a serious look at all the possible evidence I have. Like you and Pollyana say, it just seems like you have to explain everything, even the most silly sounding things. I can see I might just have to send my application in a huge box!

Thanks again for your help.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:39 pm
Aff
Just Joined

That's really good advice, thanks Aff. I hadn't thought of that. I think I just need to really get started and have a serious look at all the possible evidence I have. Like you and Pollyana say, it just seems like you have to explain everything, even the most silly sounding things. I can see I might just have to send my application in a huge box!

Thanks again for your help.
The list of evidence (can't remember the form number but it's part 8) in the help section is useful, too. Maybe just go through that and see what you can tick off and if you can't tick it off, think about why and write it down?

It's working for me and after all the headaches, I'd like to be able to pass any tip, no matter how small, on.

Good luck!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:54 pm
sha
Forum Regular

sha is an unknown quantity at this point

When you have to write a statement - for example explaining how you met and how your relanship developed - can you type it out and sign it by hand or does it have to be all hand written.
Also do you need to get each statement witnessed??

Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:14 pm
Aff
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sha
When you have to write a statement - for example explaining how you met and how your relanship developed - can you type it out and sign it by hand or does it have to be all hand written.
Also do you need to get each statement witnessed??

Thanks
Oops, I feel like I'm taking over this thread today!

Both my other half and I typed ours, SHA. As for witnessing, I'm not entirely sure what you mean? If you're talking about having things signed by a JP, you don't have to do that for your statements, only official documents such as passports etc.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:38 pm
sha
Forum Regular

Great - thanks for that!

Did you bother to send a statement to for
nature of Household - how you share the housework.
Seems a bit daft to me.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:51 pm
Aff
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sha
Great - thanks for that!

Did you bother to send a statement to for
nature of Household - how you share the housework.
Seems a bit daft to me.
I didn't send one initially but after being told I needed to send more evidence, I have written one and that will go to my CO this week.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:55 pm
sha
Forum Regular

Ok i will send one to be safe.
Thanks again
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

medon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Sorry to ask this question - again! But I just wanted to check what people's opinions on sending photographs (scanned copies) with the application are? I remember someone saying that they had sent some but they were sent straight back, but I was just thinking the other day - were they sent back because they were originals or because they just don't want photographic evidence at all?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:10 pm
sha
Forum Regular

Yer - i was going to send scanned copies too.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:42 pm
Aff
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sha
Yer - i was going to send scanned copies too.
The general opinion seems to be that you should scan them and print them on A4 paper, two per sheet. Again, that's how I've done it and I'm just crossing my fingers that it's correct!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

medon is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok decided, I shall send in photos! Now to select a few from the millions we have.....
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Townley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant future

Glad there is a dedicated Spouse thread! Im a pom, OH is an aussie. Been together for 2.5 years, living together in the UK. Submitted visa (309 subclass) on August 11th. Had an email from my CO on August 18th asking to arrange a telephone interview (scheduled for this Friday) and for my medical. I had already done the medical but the results from my xray showed a 'slight' enlarged heart... spoke to my GP who said nothing to worry about as its generally nothing but I have to go see a cardiologist and have an echo/get a report before my Panel Doc will send on my Medical... the bummer being that because my GP does not consider it to be anything serious they will not refer me on the NHS... so more £££. Oh well it will be worth it

All very exciting. But reading about the next stage (Perm) I am wondering what we will do as we plan to head off travelling in November... pass through Oz in time to validate my visa this time next year and then head over to Canada to do a season in Whistler... before we eventually go back to Oz to settle and be grown ups (marriage, kids, house etc). How we go about collecting evidence for the next to years... not to mention police reports(!?!) is beyond me... anyone else done/doing the same?

Have my fingers and toes crossed for all u fellow spousies!

TP
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Townley
Glad there is a dedicated Spouse thread! Im a pom, OH is an aussie. Been together for 2.5 years, living together in the UK. Submitted visa (309 subclass) on August 11th. Had an email from my CO on August 18th asking to arrange a telephone interview (scheduled for this Friday) and for my medical. I had already done the medical but the results from my xray showed a 'slight' enlarged heart... spoke to my GP who said nothing to worry about as its generally nothing but I have to go see a cardiologist and have an echo/get a report before my Panel Doc will send on my Medical... the bummer being that because my GP does not consider it to be anything serious they will not refer me on the NHS... so more £££. Oh well it will be worth it

All very exciting. But reading about the next stage (Perm) I am wondering what we will do as we plan to head off travelling in November... pass through Oz in time to validate my visa this time next year and then head over to Canada to do a season in Whistler... before we eventually go back to Oz to settle and be grown ups (marriage, kids, house etc). How we go about collecting evidence for the next to years... not to mention police reports(!?!) is beyond me... anyone else done/doing the same?

Have my fingers and toes crossed for all u fellow spousies!

TP
hi there - my OH and I spent a year travelling as part of our 5 years together and it was no problem for the perm visa. You only need police reports for countries you are in for a full year (or a number of short periods totalling a year). you can write a statment explaining how you spent that year together, where possible keep copies of any short term rental agreements you enter into together, book any flights, activities, accomm etc jointly and keep copies of evidence, maybe use a joint account or joint credit card for things and keep statements, you could send joint postcards to people and sign them jointly and ask family to save them for your future visa application as they will be signed by you both and stamped with dates etc, take out joint travel insurance. Lots of things like that you can do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.