Spouse Visa - 12 month question

Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

sheffield_neil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Visa - 12 month question

Hello,
I am from the UK and my partner is Australian.
We have been dating since February 2006 and lived together between December 2007 - December 2007 (over 12 months) before her visa ran out and she had to return to Australia.
The reason I am writing is because I am concerned on 2 fronts:
On the 12 month rule it states "your partner must show a mutual commitment to a shared life as husband and wife to the exclusion of all others."
We lived together in my house, which had rooms rented out to other people. It made sense for her to move into my house rather than us renting a separate one. She paid for some bills and we shared the same room and opened up a joint bank account together and we have declarations from people regarding our relationship.
Would this be considered OK for the 12 month requirement?
Also, we can only now apply for the Visa as she has only just got a job and although we were ready to file the visa for 3 months we had to wait for her to get a job on order to be able to sponsor me. Is this gap too much? We have been in contact daily by phone calls, e,ail, messenger, Facebook etc. Will they take into account the gap was due to the fact that she had to meet the Sponsor Conditions and hence it took 3-4 months?
We would go for the Prospective Marriage Visa, but we want to get married in Australia in August 2009 – past the 9 month mark.
Any help gratefully received with thanks
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Visa - 12 month question

12 month cohabitation rule does not apply to the Prospective Marriage Visa.

Are you eligible for a skill visa? If so, that might be a better option.