Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Spouse (migrant) Visa - First Entry Now or Reapply Later?

Spouse (migrant) Visa - First Entry Now or Reapply Later?

Old May 12th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

SUNNYVALI is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Spouse (migrant) Visa - First Entry Now or Reapply Later?

My application for permanent spouse visa (immigration) was approved last year and I am required to first enter Australia by June 2008. We live in the USA, if that matters. My wife (Australian citizen) and I decided to move to Australia and listed our house in March. Given the housing market, there has been very little movement on the house and we are a bit concerned if it will be feasible for us to move to Australia this year.

My understanding is that I can make a short trip to Australia prior to the Visa expiring in June and from there on I'll have 5 years to reenter. After the 5 years are over, if we have still not moved to Australia, I'll have to reapply for spouse migrant visa.

The question really is - should I spend the money (airfare, etc.) to get my passport stamped by June and see if and when we move or reapply for spouse migrant visa when we are really ready to move? Will my June trip to meet the first entry criteria be looked upon favorably by the Australian Immigration and Citizenship folks if I reapply for spouse visa say in 7 years?

Thanks!
Old May 12th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spouse (migrant) Visa - First Entry Now or Reapply Later?

i guess the risk you take if you don't do the validation trip is that the visa rules may change and you won't get in when you reapply, or that you fail the medical when you retake it, or even that your relationship doesn't work out.
maybe you could use the validation trip as a chance for your wife to visit family& friends back home
Old May 12th 2008, 9:41 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donovandenese
i guess the risk you take if you don't do the validation trip is that the visa rules may change and you won't get in when you reapply, or that you fail the medical when you retake it, or even that your relationship doesn't work out.
maybe you could use the validation trip as a chance for your wife to visit family& friends back home
Hi Sunny,

Another risk is failing health - would be a disaster if something came up to deny entry on medical grounds.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old May 14th 2008, 2:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUNNYVALI
My understanding is that I can make a short trip to Australia prior to the Visa expiring in June and from there on I'll have 5 years to reenter.
5 years starts from when the visa is granted, not validated.

After the 5 years are over, if we have still not moved to Australia, I'll have to reapply for spouse migrant visa.
There are two alternative options:

1. Apply for a 5 year Resident Return Visa on concessional grounds. You would, under current rules, have a good chance of "substantial ties" to Australia (Australian spouse), provided you did not let a continuous 5 year period of absence build up (visiting Australia would stop this happening).

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

The cost of the RRV is much cheaper than a spouse visa (currently A$120) and there is no medical/police check requirement.

2. 4 years after you enter Australia, as the spouse of an Australian citizen, you may be able to apply for Australian citizenship under section 22(9) of the Citizenship Act if you can show a "close and continuing association with Australia".

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/spouses.htm

The question really is - should I spend the money (airfare, etc.) to get my passport stamped by June and see if and when we move or reapply for spouse migrant visa when we are really ready to move? Will my June trip to meet the first entry criteria be looked upon favorably by the Australian Immigration and Citizenship folks if I reapply for spouse visa say in 7 years?
As noted above, you have little to lose by taking the trip now.

Posts #2 and #3 demonstrate the risks involved in letting your visa lapse. there is also the risk that if you spouse was deceased, your eligibility for a new spouse visa would disappear.

One issue you should bear in mind if you do decide to validate is that you have only a limited period of time, 12 months, to take out health insurance in Australia without paying an age loading (Lifetime Health Cover). As far as I know validation does start this clock ticking so you may need to look at joining a health fund within this time period, even if you then suspend membership when you are overseas.

Don't leave validation to the last minute, it sounds like you only have a month left.

Out of interest, has your Australian wife got her American citizenship?

Last edited by JAJ; May 14th 2008 at 2:58 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Spouse (migrant) Visa - First Entry Now or Reapply Later?

Originally Posted by JAJ
5 years starts from when the visa is granted, not validated.

There are two alternative options:

1. Apply for a 5 year Resident Return Visa on concessional grounds. You would, under current rules, have a good chance of "substantial ties" to Australia (Australian spouse), provided you did not let a continuous 5 year period of absence build up (visiting Australia would stop this happening).

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

The cost of the RRV is much cheaper than a spouse visa (currently A$120) and there is no medical/police check requirement.

2. 4 years after you enter Australia, as the spouse of an Australian citizen, you may be able to apply for Australian citizenship under section 22(9) of the Citizenship Act if you can show a "close and continuing association with Australia".

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/spouses.htm

As noted above, you have little to lose by taking the trip now.

Posts #2 and #3 demonstrate the risks involved in letting your visa lapse. there is also the risk that if you spouse was deceased, your eligibility for a new spouse visa would disappear.

One issue you should bear in mind if you do decide to validate is that you have only a limited period of time, 12 months, to take out health insurance in Australia without paying an age loading (Lifetime Health Cover). As far as I know validation does start this clock ticking so you may need to look at joining a health fund within this time period, even if you then suspend membership when you are overseas.

Don't leave validation to the last minute, it sounds like you only have a month left.

Out of interest, has your Australian wife got her American citizenship?
Finally did it! I took your and other posters' advice and got my visa validated over the weekend. It was long trip from Chicago to Sydney, but I made it back without any issues.

At the immigration check point in Sydney, I was not asked a single question! The officer just stamped my passport and out I went. Great experience overall.

Quick question on your point #2. Does that mean that if I stay in the US for the next 4 years, I can still try/apply for Australian citizenship? I did read the pdf, but still not clear.

To answer your other question about my wife's America citizenship... she is waiting for the last step of taking the oath ceremony and she'll be set... Hopefully, that will be next month.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SUNNYVALI
At the immigration check point in Sydney, I was not asked a single question! The officer just stamped my passport and out I went. Great experience overall.

To answer your other question about my wife's America citizenship... she is waiting for the last step of taking the oath ceremony and she'll be set... Hopefully, that will be next month.
My experience on my validation trip was very similar. In fact, I think I was through immigration before my (Australian citizen) OH!

At the risk of going off-topic I'm curious about your wife's American citizenship. Does she have to renounce her Australian citizenship? I only ask as I have a friend who married an American and then had problems at the US end and my recollection was that it was to do with her not wanting to give up her aussie passport.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

RCoight - My understanding is that she can keep both passports and maintain citizenship of both countries. Same is true for both our kids - who already have passports/citizenship of both countries (born in USA). Here's more info on it: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/automa.../dual-citz.htm

I hope it helps.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Understood. Thanks for the clarification.