Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Spouse IELTS...Is it required at the time of application??

Spouse IELTS...Is it required at the time of application??

Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse IELTS...Is it required at the time of application??

Originally Posted by jovipk
Well she has studied her all courses since from primary, secondry till University in English, but u know this is not infact pure English, it is a blend of English and native language, as practice in most of the non English speaking countries. Although English is our first Language, but I guess hardly 5-10% of total population can be said as compitent enough, its a long debate.

I am mentally prepaired for the 2nd installment, but just for sake of clarifiaction of this "Originally Posted by helloshivahere
BTW if your wife have 2 years dip/degree in any subject studied under english medium she is exempted from IELTS did u checked that option as well"
in this thread.

Do u have any idea about it, Thx!
What is your question on what Shiva posted?

He has said that if your wife's degree was conducted in English then she sends proof of this instead of IELTS. If you have this proof, send it. If it is not the case, then pay the 2nd VAC or have her take IELTS.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

Hi

Your wife don't need to sit IELTS test. Just get a certificate from the college( in a Letter head) where she was studied stating that

This is to certify that Mrs............ has Studied bachelor of Science (Maths) Reg No :........... from our institution which is affiliated to ............. university.... Place from 2001-2003 ( 2 years)

The medium of Instruction is English

This certificate is intended to issued for Australian Immigration purpose

Signed / Principal

Upload this document along with degree certificate it will be sufficient to prove that she has functional English

* My wife didn't wrote IELTS and we have Visa check my signature

Last edited by helloshivahere; Jan 6th 2010 at 2:54 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jovipk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by helloshivahere
Hi

Your wife don't need to sit IELTS test. Just get a certificate from the college( in a Letter head) where she was studied stating that

This is to certify that Mrs............ has Studied bachelor of Science (Maths) Reg No :........... from our institution which is affiliated to ............. university.... Place from 2001-2003 ( 2 years)

The medium of Instruction is English

This certificate is intended to issued for Australian Immigration purpose

Signed / Principal

Upload this document along with degree certificate it will be sufficient to prove that she has functional English

* My wife didn't wrote IELTS and we have Visa check my signature
Hi Shiva,

Your answer has really give me a lot of relief, I have just got that certificate from her college, also I have attached her 5 years Teaching experience, hope this will solve this IELTS issue.

All the best to u mate & THX!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

BenJay will become famous soon enoughBenJay will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Spouse IELTS...Is it required at the time of application??

I have got one other question regarding the Spouse IELTS - maybe someone will know the answer.

I am not sure what the DIAC have in mind when defining 'functional English'. They say on their website when they describe the English requirements for secondary applicants: 'your IELTS show you have a band score of at least four and a half (4.5) based on all four components'

It doesn't mention that you need to have 4.5 in each component, as in case of the main applicant. Therefore my understanding is that one may have for example the following IELTS exam results: 4-Listening 6-Reading 4.5-Writing and 3.5-Speaking - Overall score 4.5 And that score is what the DIAC calls 4.5 based on all components meaning the overall band 4.5. In other words, having at least 4.5 in each component is not compulsory.

Am I right?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Matrisha is a jewel in the roughMatrisha is a jewel in the roughMatrisha is a jewel in the roughMatrisha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BenJay
I have got one other question regarding the Spouse IELTS - maybe someone will know the answer.

I am not sure what the DIAC have in mind when defining 'functional English'. They say on their website when they describe the English requirements for secondary applicants: 'your IELTS show you have a band score of at least four and a half (4.5) based on all four components'

It doesn't mention that you need to have 4.5 in each component, as in case of the main applicant. Therefore my understanding is that one may have for example the following IELTS exam results: 4-Listening 6-Reading 4.5-Writing and 3.5-Speaking - Overall score 4.5 And that score is what the DIAC calls 4.5 based on all components meaning the overall band 4.5. In other words, having at least 4.5 in each component is not compulsory.

Am I right?
Yes, that's right. You could even have 0 in one component, provided you have at least six in all the others.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

BenJay will become famous soon enoughBenJay will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Spouse IELTS...Is it required at the time of application??

Originally Posted by Matrisha
Yes, that's right. You could even have 0 in one component, provided you have at least six in all the others.
Thanks Matrisha, that's good news for my wife.
Also, congratulations on your changed status and Ein Frohes Neues Jahr!