Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring spouse while under dependent visa

Sponsoring spouse while under dependent visa

Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:54 am
Just Joined

newbieoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Sponsoring spouse while under dependent visa

Hope someone can advice me on my situation. I was granted PR in 2010 (validated) under my spouse as dependent. Recently we got divorced and stayed back in Australia. I got married again overseas last month. My curreent spouse does not have residency status to stay and work in Australia.

I am unable to sponsor as spouse due to my status is still "dependent" under my ex-spouse. I read somewhere I need to wait at least 4 years to be removed as "dependent".

I am in a dilemma on what to do now and it is unbearable to be away from my spouse. I am unable to move to my spouse country due to children are in Australia.

Any advice will be appreciated and please don't suggest I move out of australia.

Thank you
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring spouse while under dependent visa

What visa do you have?

Do you mean you were a dependent on a skilled migrant visa or do you mean you were sponsored for a partner visa?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What visa do you have?

Do you mean you were a dependent on a skilled migrant visa or do you mean you were sponsored for a partner visa?
I was dependent to skilled migrant visa. My ex spouse has visa 175.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newbieoz
I was dependent to skilled migrant visa. My ex spouse has visa 175.
You were granted the same visa as your ex. You are not on any kind of dependant visa, you are a 175 holder. You can do anything any other 175 holder can do, including sponsoring a new spouse.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You were granted the same visa as your ex. You are not on any kind of dependant visa, you are a 175 holder. You can do anything any other 175 holder can do, including sponsoring a new spouse.
+1.

OP you were a dependent on the visa application. You are not a dependent on any visa, you have your own visa.

Restrictions on sponsorship would only apply if you had recently been sponsored on a partner visa.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
+1.

OP you were a dependent on the visa application. You are not a dependent on any visa, you have your own visa.

Restrictions on sponsorship would only apply if you had recently been sponsored on a partner visa.
Thank you all for the reply. I was under impression I am still under the primary applicant and I will be under dependant category for 4 years. We applied the visa as a family and all validated in 2010.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newbieoz
Thank you all for the reply. I was under impression I am still under the primary applicant and I will be under dependant category for 4 years. We applied the visa as a family and all validated in 2010.
You were given PR so you are on your own. Had you come over on a Temp visa as a secondary applicant you would have lost your visa and returned home when you separated from your ex. You didn't so you have PR in your own right.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for the re-assuring news. I am still confused on the process for spouse visa sponsorship.

My family arranged for my marriage after 2 months getting the divorce last June. Now I am in Australia pursung higher education with scholarship. My other half is still overseas and would like him to join me here.

The info I got is that the DIAC need to be satisfied that it is a genuine relationship and need to show proof and also financial undertaking. We are only married for 4 months now and not sure if I can sponsor with my scholarship income. My other half has tertiary education in engineering and should be able to fend for himself once he is here.

Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

You should contact an agent..