Sponsoring a relative for residency?

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

AllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud of
Default Sponsoring a relative for residency?

Hi

My family & I are pretty new to BE, but all information i have received so far has been spot on - thank you.

So here's another question!!

When we finally start the visa process we should hopefully get it due to my OH skills being on the wanted list, however my sister & her family would also like to move to Oz - she is an estate agent & OH is a senior manager of a large jewellers. They have been told by an agent that they won't get in. Are there any estate agents out there who did actually get their visa based on their job? If my sister & her family got into Oz this would make our decision to emigrate so much easier.

If they can't get their visa purely on their own merits & we move to Oz can we sponsor them straight away or do we have to have lived in Oz for a certain length of time or even be PR - which i have read on BE that is now 4yrs!!!

Then there will be my mum to try and get into Oz!!!

Any help most appreciated!!
Thanks
Allison
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:01 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring a relative for residency?

Sponsorship doesnt waive the requirements for a visa. It merely is required for certain types of visa application (contributory parent amongst others which may be appropriate for your mother). As to your sister she would have to consider other visa types than a skilled independant but the agent i thought would have advised on possible alternative routes already perhaps.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

AllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
Sponsorship doesnt waive the requirements for a visa. It merely is required for certain types of visa application (contributory parent amongst others which may be appropriate for your mother). As to your sister she would have to consider other visa types than a skilled independant but the agent i thought would have advised on possible alternative routes already perhaps.

Hello again!
Doesn't sponsorship give you more points and help you to get a visa? Sorry if i'm being thick - only just researching all of this now.
The agent told them - sponsorship of relative or employer which was highly unlikely & that they would be better retraining!!! They more or less told them they were wasting their time & money if they continued to pursue it.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyKev
Hello again!
Doesn't sponsorship give you more points and help you to get a visa? Sorry if i'm being thick - only just researching all of this now.
The agent told them - sponsorship of relative or employer which was highly unlikely & that they would be better retraining!!! They more or less told them they were wasting their time & money if they continued to pursue it.
Sponsorship gives some points, but it does not negate the need for them to meet the other criteria such as a skill in demand, balance of family, etc. Unfortunately, neither real estate agent or retail manager are on the SOL, so they may need to look at either retraining or an alternative such as just visiting for a few months at a time. Your agent was correct to tell them they would be wasting their time and money. Without a skill to be assessed, they can't apply for skilled visas and if you have other family in UK then they can't go for last remaining relative. Look at retraining for a skill on the list such as hairdresser or chef.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:47 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again!
From what I recall it can reduce the points requirement to 110 and add up to 15 points to the score. But really, the agent is the best person to speak to about this since the case isnt straight forward. www.gomatilda.com post regularly on this site and are well respected for providing advice.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dorothy / Centurion

Thanks for the info. - top notch responses as always. Not what i wanted to hear but was half expecting it.

Back to the drawing board - or retraining for them i suspect!!

Allison
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Dorothy / Centurion

Thanks for the info. - top notch responses as always. Not what i wanted to hear but was half expecting it.

Back to the drawing board - or retraining for them i suspect!!

Allison
Hi Allison

We're in a very similar position to yourselves. My sister and her husband would also like to follow us across. She's currently working as a driving instructor (not on the SOL). However, she does have a degree, and she also worked as a welfare worker for a while before packing it in four years ago. Welfare worker is on the SOL (60 points with six months experience from the last twelve months). She's looking to get back into welfare work.

She still wouldn't have enough points for a 138 Aus Sponsored visa (110), but she would qualify for the new 496 Designated Area Provisional visa (it replaced the old 139). The info is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../496/index.htm

It does have disadvantages; its a temporary visa, but with the option of making it permanent after 2-3 years. It would also mean that as her sponsor I would need to live outside the main metropolitan areas. We're moving to Brisbane, so it would mean I'd need to live in a non-Brisbane postcode areas, as would my sister when she arrived. One advantage however is that it isn't points tested. All she requires is a job on the SOL, with experience, and being under 45.

Does either your sister / brother-in-law have a degree or previous experience in a job on the SOL or both? That would be a good starting point.

Best of luck.

Andy
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sponsorship gives some points, but it does not negate the need for them to meet the other criteria such as a skill in demand, balance of family, etc. Unfortunately, neither real estate agent or retail manager are on the SOL,
Actually, real estate salesperson and real estate agency manager are on the SOL, but only at 40 points. However someone with a degree might be able to use a 50 point occupation instead - get professional assistance,
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

JAJ / Spartacus

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone - but thanks to all of you for your responses.

A lot of really useful information and fairly positive too.

Spartacus - good luck to you & your sister being able to migrate together - it will be so supportive for both of you. Hope it all goes according to plan. Keep us posted.

Best wishes
Al