Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring for 300 visa - 5 year limit - question

Sponsoring for 300 visa - 5 year limit - question

Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Serj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring for 300 visa - 5 year limit - question

Hello,

I came to Australia initially on the working visa, and then later lodged the application for the PR. In both applications I had my ex defacto spouse as a secondary applicant.

Now I am an Australian Citizen, my defacto relationships has ended and I am wishing to sponsor my current partner for the partner visa subclass 300.

I've read there must be a 5 year gap before you can sponsor a new person.

The question is - does that 5 year limit apply in my case?

The initial application for the working visa was lodged more than 5 years ago, but the PR application was made in late 2009, which makes it less than 5 years back.

Thanks for the answers!
Old Feb 27th 2014, 6:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring for 300 visa - 5 year limit - question

Originally Posted by Serj
Hello,

I came to Australia initially on the working visa, and then later lodged the application for the PR. In both applications I had my ex defacto spouse as a secondary applicant.

Now I am an Australian Citizen, my defacto relationships has ended and I am wishing to sponsor my current partner for the partner visa subclass 300.

I've read there must be a 5 year gap before you can sponsor a new person.

The question is - does that 5 year limit apply in my case?

The initial application for the working visa was lodged more than 5 years ago, but the PR application was made in late 2009, which makes it less than 5 years back.

Thanks for the answers!
Having a spouse as a depdendent on a pplication is totally different from sponsoring a spouse for a Partner Visa.

Your first partner was a dependent, you did not sponsor them. The new partner will be the first one sponsoired by you. So no, the 5 year issue does not come into it.