Spiders, Snakes etc etc

Old Sep 3rd 2001, 3:55 pm
Mark Anthony

Hi All, We are just applying for our visa for Austarlia, but I have come up against
something that I don't know what to do?

My wife is terrified of spiders and snakes, and we saw a program on tv the other
evening that has REALLY put the shivers up her. It showed spiders such as red backs
and others hanging on to the underneath of wheelie bins and under the benches at bus
stops, and snakes in the back yards and childrens playgrounds!!??**

Can anybody tell me if it really is that bad, as this could quite easily sway my
wifes decision, and obviously I don't want that to happen, please serious replies
only, thanks.

Mark

Old Sep 3rd 2001, 7:51 pm
Karun

Mark Anthony wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

In places like sydney and canberra, you generally don't see any spiders or snake
but you do in the outback. New Zealand doesn't have any poisonous spider and no
snakes. Karun

Old Sep 3rd 2001, 8:51 pm
totheisland

>

Not so sure anymore. We just returned from our fifth New Zealand vacation and just as
we were packing to leave, a television news cast indicated black widow spiders had
been found in produce delivered to a grocery store. I seem to also remember a scare
re. scorpions escaping a ship sometime last year.

Not having nasty little critters is a major plus for NZ but I'm afraid this will fall
pray to either carelessness or sabotage.

Old Sep 4th 2001, 1:05 am
Russell Driver

>
against
    >
    >
    >
    >
such
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi Mark

This is a perennial question that goes through most prospective migrants thoughts.

The first thing to say is that deaths from any kind of wildlife here are
very,very,very rare.You have perhaps 10,000 times more chance of being hit by a
falling aircraft. Most of what you see on tv is sensationalist and we don't have
Steve Irwin dashing through our garden chasing snakes! It will depend mainly upon
where you choose to live. In the suburbs there are very few problems with poisonous
beasties apart from the odd encounter with a Redback of Huntsman spider. Obviously in
the country or outback you will have many more encounters.

Common sense and educating the kids plays a big part in safety here. Just don't go
looking for trouble - it will find you eventually - this is part of the natural
selection process to rid the human race of stupid people. When gardening wear gloves
and boots and if possible long trousers. Teach the kids where not to touch/go and
teach "freeze" to the kids in case of an appearance of a snake.

When I first visited Australia I was terrified of setting foot anywhere,now after
fifteen months the initial fear has gone but common sense and caution are there. We
live on a 2.5 acre property on the outskirts of the Adelaide suburbs and have seen
most poisonous beasties there are to offer - but if you are interested in wildlife as
we are you will be treated to a veritable smorgasbord of stunning wildlife right in
your backyard ( we even had a visit from a kangaroo). Most beasties will only attack
in self defence if they are cornered or stumbled upon. Redbacks are very timid but if
you know where to look you can soon remove them with bug spray (over 40 sprayed
around our house now).I know two people who have being bitten - because they were
adult and healthy they just felt a little ill after - similar to flu symptoms.
Huntsman spiders are fairly big and hairy and have an incredible knack of making you
jump, but they are shy and have a nip similar to a wasp. I stumbled across a Brown
snake last summer - I automatically froze - the snake was far more scared of me and
got out of my way ASAP - then I went to change my brown undies! We also see small
scorpions and very large centipedes - both have a sting similar to a wasp but no
bites yet.

We spend more time worrying about our curious Bedlinton Terrier being bitten (he
hates Blue Tongued lizards) than we do about ourselves. We accept all of these
creatures as it is their land!

I suppose that you will look to move into a suburb and there you will hardly see
anything - as I said before DON'T worry it is not as bad as the documentaries make
out. It just gets a little riskier the further out you live.

All of these worries will seem very funny after a few months/years - so come on get
on with that visa! If your wife is still worried get her to email my wife at
[email protected] they can have a bit of a natter.

Cheers Russell

--
auSEElife Run by migrants -for migrants Lot 11 Penneys Rise,Onkaparinga Hills,SA 5163
ICQ 119580733, Yahoo Messenger:russ1926,Fax +61 8 8186 1538 www.auseelife.com

Old Sep 4th 2001, 1:06 am
Liz

Yes, we do have a couple of nasty spiders in suburbia here in Sydney. However, I have not seen a Redback spider since I was a young girl (long time ago!!) and the Funnelweb spider I have seen about 4 times in my life. Just remember they don't seek you out, you will usually only come across them when digging deep in the garden, etc. and they do not run and charge at you. Tell your wife I get hesterical at the larger house moths and do not like spiders either but keep it in prospective - they live where they live and one is just sensible when in their habitat.

Old Sep 4th 2001, 1:34 am
Edward

Mark, I think my wife saw the same show... if you've go a sec... read my post from
back in May, 2001 (attached below) LOL... I suppose if you wait long enough, history
will repeat itself. Thanks to the many generous people in the group, my wife is much
calmer now. I hope yours is as well.

Ed

ORIGINAL POST:

Ok... things "were" going quite well. Got the medicals in for both of us, plus the
kids... police report? -check.

Then my wife spies a documentary about all the venomous snakes, spiders, jelly-fish,
duckbilled platypi(platypuses?), plants, coral, etc. lying in wait down there in
Australia...

Now she's a little freaked. She's especially worried about a red backed spider, which
tends to set up shop in more developed areas, bites frequently, and can be fatal. Oh,
and our boys are 5 and 1 year old, which is fuel for her nervous fire.

Could someone help me put her heart at ease?

Thanks-

Ed & Vicki

>
against
    >
    >
    >
    >
such
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 4th 2001, 4:18 am
George O'Neill

Mark, It all depends where you plan to live. I lived in the Gold Coast in Queensland.
I regularly saw spiders that looked like they were manufactured for monster movies.
Only saw a few snakes though. I worked in Brisbane with people who had never seen a
spider or a snake. Redbacks are very common all over Australia. They are in the same
family as the Black Widow and should be respected accordingly. As with the black
widow, its the females which bite. The males are usually content to roll up in a ball
when they are "attacked". The bite is rarely fatal, even in children. We have 2
children. Common sense precautions remove 99 percent of risks. Dont let kids play in
long grass or in dense woodland. Always WALK away from a snake. Shake out your boots
if they've been outside. My wife was a spider/snake phobic. After 6 months she was
sweeping redbacks out of the house with a brush without a thought. Dont let your wife
be put off by the scary tv programs. Visit Queensland. If she can handle that, she
can live anywhere in Oz.

George

"Mark Anthony" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 4th 2001, 11:33 am
Mark Deayton

Karun wrote:
    >
    >
    >

This is misleading. Spiders, including redbacks are very common in urban areas. You
just have to be careful where you put your hand - wear gloves when gardening. Shake
out your shoes before putting them on etc. Common sense. Be aware. But even if you
got bitten by a redback, it's no big deal - nobody has died from a redback bite in
    >

--
Mark Deayton [email protected] http://go.to/mark.deayton http://go.to/'65Mustang
(my band) ICQ# 314598

Old Sep 4th 2001, 3:35 pm
Rufio

During the Olympics I flew out from Arizona, and stayed in Redfern. No more than 2
hours after I checked into my room in a hostel, I saw this gray/black spider the size
of the palm of my hand. It was climbing along the join between the top of the wall &
the ceiling.

Problem was, I didn't know the dangerous from the harmless. I called in the janitor
from next door, and he found it & killed it, and then tells me it just eats insects.
Size it was - must have been allot of insects!

I slept with the light on after that, until I moved into a half empty hotel in the
Rocks a few days later.

Arizona on the other hand, has few dangerous spiders. Tarantulas are pretty much
harmless. The brown recluse is dangerous but really rare. Then only problem spider is
the black widow. Had a black widow in an apartment in central Phoenix, but only found
it on the day I moved out!

>
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > In places like sydney and canberra, you generally don't see any spiders or snake[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > but you do in the outback.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >20 years due to the widespread availability of a very effective antivenom.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 4th 2001, 9:25 pm
The Stolls

Mark: I was at your wife's state quite a few months ago, until I came across this
wonderful newsgroup and found that my hysteria was due to 2 things: ignorance, and
watching too much Steve Irwin.

To cure myself, I stopped watching Croc Hunter if it had to do with snakes and
spiders, and I've read dozens and dozens of messages on this newsgroup to become as
educated as possible. (Helena, if you're reading this -Thanks again for your recent
posting - you can ignore the Huntsman portion of my recent essay I sent to you
directly).

As my husband keeps telling me, "There wouldn't be millions of people living in OZ if
it was really that bad".

Not to say I won't break a landspeed record when I come across a Huntsman, when we
emigrate next month.

To put it into perspective - I live in Canada, and have talked to people who assume
that most Canadians have been mauled by bears at least once in our lives. I have yet
to see one running around the streets of Toronto, and I lived in the country for 15
years and hadn't seen any outside of a dump. In British Columbia, where there are
more of them, wildlife attacks are extremely, extremely, extremely rare, though
you'll come across the odd documentary that will have you terrified of bears, coyotes
and cougars.

Tell your wife to stop watching those sensational documentaries, and stick to this
wonderful, supportive newsgroup. It really helped me!!!

Good luck.

>
against
    >
    >
    >
    >
such
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 5th 2001, 7:47 am
Karun

[usenetquote2]>>New Zealand doesn't have any poisonous spider and no snakes. Karun[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Only about 5 black widow spiders

Old Sep 5th 2001, 11:05 am
Cato

G'day Mark, I'm an American on Permanent Residency and have been here for over 3
years now. I still am not adapted to living with those hairy spiders, the huntsmen.
Despite the fact that I know they're fairly harmless, just has the knack of scaring
one's pants off by the imdidating size...still I scream and get my hubby to get the
bloody thing out of the house or my car. *grin* Still, overall -- I'm OK -- your wife
will be alright. Just have to get used to the fact that the Huntsmen spiders are here
to stay and they're natives of Australia.

Regards, Dawn http://members.optushome.com.au/dawndy13

>
against
    >
    >
    >
    >
such
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 6th 2001, 2:05 am
Hills

Cato wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

LOL - I've been here 40 years, and I don't like huntsman either! I *hate* spiders. I
can ignore daddy-longlegs. I can run from redbacks, and get a shoe or stick and
squash them (they stay still while you do it!)

But I can't get used to huntsmen - they move so fast, and they like the inside.. (at
least the redbacks stay outside at our house).

Now mostly I avoid the huntsmen - run to the other side of the room and call for my
husband to 'remove' it. But my worst time was early one morning, when I turned on the
shower, stepped in, closed the door, and THEN saw the palm-sized huntsman on the
sliding door of the shower - NO WAY OUT!!! and I'm standing there naked and wet.

You have no idea how carefully I opened the sliding door (so as not to disturb it
further, not knowing which direction it would run) and how *fast* I got out of
that shower!

I KNOW that they are harmless, and the worst it could have done was run over my hand
whilst trying to escape, but still they turn me to jelly. LJ

[usenetquote2]> > Hi All, We are just applying for our visa for Austarlia, but I have come up[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > something that I don't know what to do?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My wife is terrified of spiders and snakes, and we saw a program on tv the other[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > evening that has REALLY put the shivers up her. It showed spiders[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > as red backs and others hanging on to the underneath of wheelie bins and under[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the benches at bus stops, and snakes in the back yards and childrens[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > playgrounds!!??**[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Can anybody tell me if it really is that bad, as this could quite easily sway my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > wifes decision, and obviously I don't want that to happen, please serious replies[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > only, thanks.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Mark[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 6th 2001, 10:46 am
Spammy

parking your car under or near trees guarantees a huntsmen...nothing worse than one
appearing while out for a drive.....

>
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > G'day Mark, I'm an American on Permanent Residency and have been here for over 3[/usenetquote2]
years
[usenetquote2]> > now. I still am not adapted to living with those hairy spiders, the huntsmen.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Despite the fact that I know they're fairly harmless, just[/usenetquote2]
has
[usenetquote2]> > the knack of scaring one's pants off by the imdidating size...still I[/usenetquote2]
scream
[usenetquote2]> > and get my hubby to get the bloody thing out of the house or my car. *grin*[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Still, overall -- I'm OK -- your wife will be alright. Just[/usenetquote2]
have to
[usenetquote2]> > get used to the fact that the Huntsmen spiders are here to stay and[/usenetquote2]
they're
[usenetquote2]> > natives of Australia.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Regards, Dawn[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi All, We are just applying for our visa for Austarlia, but I have come up[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > against[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > something that I don't know what to do?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > My wife is terrified of spiders and snakes, and we saw a program on tv[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > > other evening that has REALLY put the shivers up her. It showed[/usenetquote2]
spiders
[usenetquote2]> > such[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > as red backs and others hanging on to the underneath of wheelie bins[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> > > under the benches at bus stops, and snakes in the back yards and[/usenetquote2]
childrens
[usenetquote2]> > > playgrounds!!??**[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Can anybody tell me if it really is that bad, as this could quite[/usenetquote2]
easily
[usenetquote2]> > > sway my wifes decision, and obviously I don't want that to happen,[/usenetquote2]
please
[usenetquote2]> > > serious replies only, thanks.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Mark[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 6th 2001, 11:55 am
Spammy

you had fun with a hunstman....shame it was killed quite harmless and was probably
after the roaches scary part is how quick they move

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
hotel
    >
    >
    >
pretty
    >
problem
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Karun wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > In places like sydney and canberra, you generally don't see any[/usenetquote2]
spiders
[usenetquote2]> > > or snake but you do in the outback.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > This is misleading. Spiders, including redbacks are very common in urban areas.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > You just have to be careful where you put your hand - wear gloves when gardening.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Shake out your shoes before putting them on etc. Common sense. Be aware. But even[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > if you got bitten by a redback, it's no big deal - nobody has died from a redback[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > bite in >20 years due to the widespread availability of a very effective[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > antivenom.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Mark Deayton [email protected] http://go.to/mark.deayton[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://go.to/'65Mustang (my band) ICQ# 314598[/usenetquote2]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.