Something for the IT workforce...

Old Jul 27th 2002, 12:20 pm
James Gardner

Default Something for the IT workforce...

Oh my god! I really regret the decision I made in getting here, in a place of
dreamers and massive losers.

Have local experience, local references and all the skill set needed for a permanent
visa, desperately trying to build up a job networking, but even this doesn’t seem to
be successful.

If people hear from you, being an immigrant, they really get scared about their
position and do not want to be exposed too much. No wonder, with all the bad news
about IT people being in over supply and the retrenchments going on and tons of
Australians in IT without work.

Why don’t people talk about this here?

Salaries are going down the tubes. If you are lucky, you may get 30-40 AUS$/h or
probably 30-50k/year (gross of course) and after deducting 47% of tax won’t give you
much to enjoy, would it? Since the lifestyle here is going up like hell. Living cost
is far beyond the zenith.

There are IT people working as cabdriver or as dishwasher just to survive! No jokes!

Therefore, my advice

- For people still in the process of getting the visa: DON’T HURRY or you going to
stand in a long, long queue. Use the time to research and get the right picture.
- For those having the visa already: Come over, get your entry fixed, HAVE A GOOD
LOOK around and go back home.

1. Having this settled allows you to wait 5 more years until the final move to
Australia. In this timeframe lots will change to your favour. I’m quite convinced.
2. You won’t end up like me just being a good skilled-migrant-cash-cow, wasting my
last savings in this economy and not even getting any work.
3. Not facing the fact to work for a dole! Which the most of you guys must consider
in the worst case.

Also, without a certain level of English, local experiences as well as local
references (if you have any), just smoke it! That’s where the selection
criteria start!

This is absolute ridiculous: First you get assessed for the immigration, which isn’t
a joke to get through, and then they don’t even know what do with you.

I’m not a pessimistic character, but believe me, at least what IT skilled migrants
are concerned; it is not the right time the jump! Forget about it!

Anyway, cheers big ears... same goes long nose... and... good luck.

James

Ah, yeah, I almost forgot: If you hear somebody still telling you "Australia needs
skilled people..." give’m a nice deep smack in his face! This is a real joke, what’s
going on here.

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Jul 27th 2002, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

JohnyC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Something for the IT workforce...

Hello James

Sorry to hear about the present scenerio. Can you tell me what is your skill set?
Old Jul 27th 2002, 2:53 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by James Gardner
This is absolute ridiculous: First you get assessed for the immigration, which isn’t a joke to get through, and then they don’t even know what do with you...If you hear somebody still telling you "Australia needs skilled people..." give’m a nice deep smack in his face! This is a real joke, what’s going on here.
Sorry to hear you're finding it tough but I can't agree with your conclusions. Nobody owes anybody else a living and we all make calculated choices - from an early age. Eg in the UK we often have to make study subject choices at 14 (O levels in my day) and certainly at 16 (A levels) then again at 18+ (degree). Those decisions usually matter a hell of a lot later on in life but we all get the chance to change course at many stages in our lives, it's never too late to start a different type of job/ career path. You are where you are, we are all where we are, thanks to decisions we made early on. (OK I know the environment/ nurture arguments too). What's all this 'they don't even know what (to) do with you'? You sound like a spoilt kid instead of an adult or a professional. There is no 'they' - you're on your own kiddo and that's how it'll be until you drop down dead. Get used to it. If the job situation is tough in one area you're going to have to train up in another area or choose another field entirely. Or just carry on moaning about your lot in life. Your choice.
Old Jul 28th 2002, 12:20 am
Luke

i totaly agree with you mr gardener, very wise words, people in IT have had it too
good for too long.

Old Aug 26th 2002, 2:25 am
Dana Nutter

>Salaries are going down the tubes. If you are lucky, you may get 30-40 AUS$/h or
    >probably 30-50k/year (gross of course) and after deducting 47% of tax won’t give
    >you much to enjoy, would it? Since the lifestyle here is going up like hell. Living
    >cost is far beyond the zenith.

Same here in the U.S.! Most IT salaries are about 50% of what they were 2-3 years
ago before the dot-bomb. That's for those who still have work. It's not any
better here.

Old Aug 26th 2002, 5:04 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by James Gardner:
Oh my god! I really regret the decision I made in getting here, in a place of
dreamers and massive losers.
I can't help but think that you're going to get a few flames for this - too many people only want to hear to good stuff.

However... There's a few contradictions here, there's still clearly a skills/experience shortage in oz in the IT world. I'm nowhere near ready to go yet but a couple of days ago when I spoke to an agency, just looking for info they offered me two (perm) jobs on the spot and my skill set is nothing special, (10 years network/service management, Oracle dba, Java and a few other bits).

But there's something that goes deeper than this and I apologise if you don't fit into this group, but there are too many people in our business who think that we're doing the world a favour by offering it our services, that we're somehow 'better' than other skilled trades. It's simply not true and the bottom is not dropping out of the IT market - it's simply returning to a realistic, and most importantly, sustainable level.

I'm heading for Oz because I like the country and have found that I fit in with the people. I fully expect to get a job in IT but if I don't well, such is life and if I end up in customer services ('d'ya want fries with that sir') then so be it, hell, I'll even work on a help desk if necessary.

I'm not a dreamer, there's going to be hard times, the streets of Adelaide are not paved with gold for anyone who can do a bit of programming and I'm not going to forget that Oz is doing me a favour - not the other way around.

Life is what you make of it.

Cheers

Perry
Old Aug 26th 2002, 6:26 pm
RNZ
Just Joined

RNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Luke:
i totaly agree with you mr gardener, very wise words, people in IT have had it too good for too long.

looks like Luke's been waiting for this to happen .......the green-eyed monster perched on his shoulder .....

Originally posted by kentcoast:

But there's something that goes deeper than this and I apologise if you don't fit into this group, but there are too many people in our business who think that we're doing the world a favour by offering it our services, that we're somehow 'better' than other skilled trades. It's simply not true and the bottom is not dropping out of the IT market - it's simply returning to a realistic, and most importantly, sustainable level.

Cheers

Perry
Perry's hit the nail on the head ........ very true .... the marketplace is just getting realistic and will even out and become like any other discipline.....Some of the problems in the IT sector caused by "over-recruitment" during Y2k, Euro and 'dot-com' boom
Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:59 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kentcoast:

Perry,

It is refreshing to see some reality/honesty creeping into the IT situation in AUS/NZ. If we've researched the prospective move well enough then its fairly obvious that these are not the places you come to earn big bucks, no matter what industry you are working in.

An Australian mate describes the situation as one where there is a huge middle class. Anyone with a trade (plumber, bricky, teacher, IT, etc.) can afford the 3/4 bed on 800m2+ and have a good lifestyle. There seems to be a much narrower band covering the salaries for skilled jobs than in the UK.

We have a situation in the UK now where builders, plumbers, electricians, etc. can earn considerable amounts of money, particularly in the south east but are resented and not respected for it by many UK people.

Meanwhile, as an engineering tradesman in the west midlands I still bring home only fractionally more than those living on my estate who live on welfare benefits.

Blue collar/white collar prejudice is alive and kicking in the UK.

Ian

:lecture:
Old Aug 27th 2002, 10:40 am
bhavel

James, sorry to hear about your situation, I went through it as well. Fortunately at the end I was very lucky and got an IT job. Keep trying and something will turn up.

Originally posted by kentcoast:

I'm heading for Oz because I like the country and have found that I fit in with the people. I fully expect to get a job in IT but if I don't well, such is life and if I end up in customer services ('d'ya want fries with that sir') then so be it, hell, I'll even work on a help desk if necessary.

I'm not a dreamer, there's going to be hard times, the streets of Adelaide are not paved with gold for anyone who can do a bit of programming and I'm not going to forget that Oz is doing me a favour - not the other way around.

Perry
Before I got the job I was pretty desperate and considered doing something else too. But I think it is quite difficult to change qualification here, just look at the ads, everyone wants people with years of experience. With unqualified jobs I don't think it would be a big fun to live here, I'm paying $250 a week for one-bedroom apartment (Sydney) and unqualified jobs are between $12-14/hr (bruto).

I strongly disagree that Australia is doing a favour to any immigrants. For skilled immigration it's just a bussiness deal, you want to live in Australia, and Australia will get a young, healthy and educated skilled workforce at no cost, paying taxes or spending savings and not able to claim any social benefits for two years. People (illegal immigrants) who asked Australia a favour ends up jailed in detention centers...