Wikiposts

Some general question

Old Apr 6th 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Tonyc88 is on a distinguished road
Default Some general question

Hi,

I'm looking at migrating to Australia (was New Zealand but that's another story!).

Some questions:

* Can anyone link me to a thread where people show the order in which to do things? I will probably do a 175 visa online but i'm also aware I will need the ACS. I have used the search funtion but looking for that guide I know a user must have done

* DO I do the ACS before applying for the main Visa?

* Do you think I need an agent? I think my application is very simple - One person (me), no dependents, no criminal convications, no health problems, I make the following points:

18-29 (30 pts)
IT Professional under the generic code 2231-79 (60 pts)
Worked in this for at least 3.5 years (10 pts)
Specific job is not on MODL (0 pts)
English Language Competent (20 points)
120 Points Total

I don't see the value in spending a ton of cash for such a 'simple' application.

* Do I need to take the english tests to gain the 20 points or is the fact I am fro the UK an automatic 20 points?

* Do I need a birth certificate at any point in the process?

* How long is the UK Police criminal check document valid for?

* Do I HAVE to get a reference from my current employer for my ACS? I'm think I can but at the end of the day I wasn't going to mention my emigration for a lot longer.....

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 2:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some general question

Most, if not all, your questions can be answered by reading booklet 6:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/booklets.htm

http://www.acs.org.au is also worth a look.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:11 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

ACS requires at least 4 years full-time post-graduate experience to let you through. And that is if your degree is IT-majour, if it is minor then experience requirement goes up to 6 years.

Also, some low-tech IT staff are assessed by VETASSESS, what is it exactly you do under -79 code?

NJ

PS> Competent English is worth 25 points
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most, if not all, your questions can be answered by reading booklet 6:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/booklets.htm

http://www.acs.org.au is also worth a look.
Thanks, will read
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newjersey
ACS requires at least 4 years full-time post-graduate experience to let you through. And that is if your degree is IT-majour, if it is minor then experience requirement goes up to 6 years.

Also, some low-tech IT staff are assessed by VETASSESS, what is it exactly you do under -79 code?

NJ

PS> Competent English is worth 25 points
4 years Full time? Damn, i'm at 3.5 years. Will hit 4 years in September.

My degree is IT 'major' - BSc Computer Science. Part of this course was 1 year working (I got a job in the US). WIll that definately not count towards my professional experience?

79 code - I thought this was the generic IT professional?

I'm a consultant for a big-name IT vendor. Storage and Virtualisation.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:38 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

ACS by default counts only post graduate experience and prorates part time to full time based on 38 hours per week. So even with your degree being spot on, there may be a bit of an issue with the experience.

The code descriptions are in the ACS guidelines. I was thinking about certain cases where people laying network cables or hauling monitors around go for the ACS, fail and then get surprised, but you are def. ACS material LOL.

If you worked while studying, that may not be treated as either "post-graduate" or as "full-time" by the ACS, so you need to calculate your experience carefully. Talk to an agent with background in IT cases, George Lombard or Alan Collet who post on this forum are recommended alot.

One thing I can suggest from my inexperienced non-agent vantage point, is to go ahead with collecting references, as detailed as you can get them done. ACS wants it all, hooves and snout, so Good luck, prep work will take you a couple of months. IELTS is booked quite far in advance too.

NJ
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by newjersey
ACS by default counts only post graduate experience and prorates part time to full time based on 38 hours per week. So even with your degree being spot on, there may be a bit of an issue with the experience.

The code descriptions are in the ACS guidelines. I was thinking about certain cases where people laying network cables or hauling monitors around go for the ACS, fail and then get surprised, but you are def. ACS material LOL.

If you worked while studying, that may not be treated as either "post-graduate" or as "full-time" by the ACS, so you need to calculate your experience carefully. Talk to an agent with background in IT cases, George Lombard or Alan Collet who post on this forum are recommended alot.

One thing I can suggest from my inexperienced non-agent vantage point, is to go ahead with collecting references, as detailed as you can get them done. ACS wants it all, hooves and snout, so Good luck, prep work will take you a couple of months. IELTS is booked quite far in advance too.

NJ
do you know anyone who's passed the ACS with no programming skills?..
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonyc88
Hi,

* Do you think I need an agent? I think my application is very simple - One person (me), no dependents, no criminal convications, no health problems, I make the following points:

18-29 (30 pts)
IT Professional under the generic code 2231-79 (60 pts)
Worked in this for at least 3.5 years (10 pts)
Specific job is not on MODL (0 pts)
English Language Competent (20 points)
120 Points Total

I don't see the value in spending a ton of cash for such a 'simple' application.

* Do I need to take the english tests to gain the 20 points or is the fact I am fro the UK an automatic 20 points?

* Do I need a birth certificate at any point in the process?

* How long is the UK Police criminal check document valid for?

* Do I HAVE to get a reference from my current employer for my ACS? I'm think I can but at the end of the day I wasn't going to mention my emigration for a lot longer.....

Thanks for your help!
Hi and good luck!

In answer to a couple of your questions you will only get 15 points not 20, unless you sit the IELTS test and get an overall 7 in all 4 categories, you then are given 25 points
So you may have to do the IELTS as you will be 5 points short otherwise.

Yes, you will need your birth certificate, we needed ours for skills assessment and visa application.

Police checks are usually valid for one year, when you are granted your visa you will be given one year to enter Oz to validate the visa and this date is taken from your police checks or meds, so don't rush to do it too soon.

As far as an agent goes, its really up to you, some people have complicated applications or just feel they couldn't manage without one, we did not use an agent, had visa last week but that's not to say its been plain sailing but we got there without the extra cost.

Sam
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by ChocCake
do you know anyone who's passed the ACS with no programming skills?..
Umm, like, me Fire away, what's up
NJ
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

maroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi and good luck!

In answer to a couple of your questions you will only get 15 points not 20, unless you sit the IELTS test and get an overall 7 in all 4 categories, you then are given 25 points
So you may have to do the IELTS as you will be 5 points short otherwise.

Yes, you will need your birth certificate, we needed ours for skills assessment and visa application.

Police checks are usually valid for one year, when you are granted your visa you will be given one year to enter Oz to validate the visa and this date is taken from your police checks or meds, so don't rush to do it too soon.

As far as an agent goes, its really up to you, some people have complicated applications or just feel they couldn't manage without one, we did not use an agent, had visa last week but that's not to say its been plain sailing but we got there without the extra cost.

Sam
Hi Sam - the immi.gov.au says if you hold a UK passport you don't need to sit an IELTS test to prove you meet the threshold. Can you please point me to where on the website (or another website) you found the information that says even if you have a UK passport, you have to sit the test to claim the 20 points for proficient English? Thanks
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by maroonedNZ
Hi Sam - the immi.gov.au says if you hold a UK passport you don't need to sit an IELTS test to prove you meet the threshold. Can you please point me to where on the website (or another website) you found the information that says even if you have a UK passport, you have to sit the test to claim the 20 points for proficient English? Thanks
You automatically get 15 points for holding a UK passport. To get the full 25 points (some people will need the extra points to get to 120) then you have to sit the test.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ge_english.pdf
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

maroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by TMRE
You automatically get 15 points for holding a UK passport. To get the full 25 points (some people will need the extra points to get to 120) then you have to sit the test.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ge_english.pdf
Thank god for this forum, I would never have known that and definitely need the points! I have already sent my application but only a few weeks ago so no chance of a case officer for months. Do you think if I sit the test in the next week or so and send it over to Adelaide they will be ok about adding it to my application?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Thank god for this forum, I would never have known that and definitely need the points! I have already sent my application but only a few weeks ago so no chance of a case officer for months. Do you think if I sit the test in the next week or so and send it over to Adelaide they will be ok about adding it to my application?
Sorry I don't know the answer to that as we applied before the changes, and didn't have to do it. I am sure someone will be able to answer you soon though.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TMRE
Sorry I don't know the answer to that as we applied before the changes, and didn't have to do it. I am sure someone will be able to answer you soon though.
MISERY! Just looked at a sample test, the cost, and how many hoops I will have to jump through to organise this....do you know if I have to take the General or Academic version?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

MISERY! Just looked at a sample test, the cost, and how many hoops I will have to jump through to organise this....do you know if I have to take the General or Academic version?
General version. Make sure you practice beforehand to familiarise yourself with the format.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.