some APS assessment questions

Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

20021 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default some APS assessment questions

Ive recently graduated as a psychologist and planning immigrate to australia in the next 3 years.

I have some questions about the requirements the aps asks for.

the immi website says :
"The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required."

But also says :
"Note: If you are seeking a skills assessment for skilled migration purposes, different skill level requirements may apply. For information on skills assessment, see the relevant skills assessing authority below."

the assessing authority (APS) Asks for an "equivalent of an APS accredited six-year programme of study in psychology."

how can i know i have a six year study or i need a post graduation to have a positive assessment ? im really confused about which degree i need and i have no clue how can i compare my country`s graduation program with australian`s one

And another question, 2 mbas is better than just one or a master degree is better?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Lacemail is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: some APS assessment questions

Hi there!
I am in exactly the same situation and cannot seem to find any information on how I establish equivalence of my UK Psychology degree with an APS accredited degree in Oz.
I was wondering if you had had any luck with your research?
I would be really grateful for any advice that you or anyone else can give me!
Thanks,
Camilla

Originally Posted by 20021
Ive recently graduated as a psychologist and planning immigrate to australia in the next 3 years.

I have some questions about the requirements the aps asks for.

the immi website says :
"The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required."

But also says :
"Note: If you are seeking a skills assessment for skilled migration purposes, different skill level requirements may apply. For information on skills assessment, see the relevant skills assessing authority below."

the assessing authority (APS) Asks for an "equivalent of an APS accredited six-year programme of study in psychology."

how can i know i have a six year study or i need a post graduation to have a positive assessment ? im really confused about which degree i need and i have no clue how can i compare my country`s graduation program with australian`s one

And another question, 2 mbas is better than just one or a master degree is better?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: some APS assessment questions

Have you looked at the APS website?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you looked at the APS website?
Yes. It says very little other than that my qualification would have to be equivalent to the six year accredited Australian one. None of the threads on here provide me with much hope either as it seems I require a lot of further training. It seems completely ridiculous. I have been living here for a year and a half now and this is more my home than the UK, but it seems impossible to stay.

So depressing
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lacemail
Yes. It says very little other than that my qualification would have to be equivalent to the six year accredited Australian one. None of the threads on here provide me with much hope either as it seems I require a lot of further training. It seems completely ridiculous. I have been living here for a year and a half now and this is more my home than the UK, but it seems impossible to stay.

So depressing
Have you contacted the APS?
Although this site is good for general stuff, this isn't a field that gets mentioned often and the specifics are proibably beyond the scope of this forum.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have you contacted the APS?
Although this site is good for general stuff, this isn't a field that gets mentioned often and the specifics are proibably beyond the scope of this forum.
Hey Pollyana, hopefully you are right! It seems that I have enough to get BPS graduate membership, so maybe that will translate well into the Australian system.

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

gohysteria is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a 495 visa holder and am currently waiting for an outcome on my 887 application. I got my 495 by nominating psychologist as my occupation.

The 6-year programme of study includes 4 years at the undergraduate level (3 years + 1 honours year) and 2 years at the postgraduate level. So if you have done a 4-year bachelor degree in Psychology plus a 2-year master degree in Psychology, and as long as both qualifications are accredited by BPS, I think you should be safe.

It was a simpler process for me because I did a 2-year masters of psychology degree in Australia. I however had to have my undergraduate qualification assessed and accredited by APS. I completed my bachelor degree in 4 years in Singapore.

I hope this helps answer your question.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:48 am
Banned

CrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really nice

HI my original degree is in Psychology and my sister is a registered psychologist.

PSA requirements for study are a 4 year (honours) Bachelors Degree with a psych major (Arts or Science typically) followed by either a 2 year Master of Psychology or 2 years supervised training with an APS member in a clinical practice.

cheers