So many questions...

Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice
Default So many questions...

Hi,
I'm in the middle of gathering and planning my escape to Australia and have ended up with rather a large amount of questions. I thought I'd throw them at the pros on this board and see if you could help me answer some (or all?) of them. My situation is that I'm applying for Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175), I'm about to undertake a Microsoft Exam (for an MCPD) to help with my skills assessment with the ACS and I'm hoping to take my long term girlfriend as a secondary applicant. Ok, here come the question
  1. My first stumbling block with the skills assessment is that they want a copy of my old working holiday visa. Only problem is I know longer have this as I have renewed my passport. What do people normally do in this situation?
  2. Secondly, within the main visa application, to meet the character requirements do me and my partner simply have to provide a police check for any country we have lived in more than 12 months? The "evidence to attach" doesn't seem as clear as the other eligibility requirements.
  3. Another question, and one of the more difficult ones I'm finding. For my partner to prove her English language skills she needs to provide proof of 5 years at secondary school. What evidence is acceptable for this? My first thought was GCSE certificates but they only really cover 2 years of study. Could we provide a letter from the school? And if so, anyone know what the minimum requirements of such a letter would be? Letterhead? Position of authority? Etc.
  4. Next question, an another one I found little information about. What evidence do we need to provide of being in a defacto relationship? The eligibility requirements don't appear to even mention this and the checklist simply states we need to provide evidence. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  5. Last question! This is more a query about timing. On lodging a visa application and assuming everything is fine, what is the average amount of time after lodging is a health exam normally requested? And is it requested for both applicants at the same time? I know there's no definite answer for this but would be good for us to have a rough idea of other peoples experience.
Sorry for the huge list of questions contained within one thread although I'm guessing I'm not the first to have a head full of questions after the initial research stage. Any help is much appreciated
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: So many questions...

Originally Posted by simonfiction
Hi,
I'm in the middle of gathering and planning my escape to Australia and have ended up with rather a large amount of questions. I thought I'd throw them at the pros on this board and see if you could help me answer some (or all?) of them. My situation is that I'm applying for Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175), I'm about to undertake a Microsoft Exam (for an MCPD) to help with my skills assessment with the ACS and I'm hoping to take my long term girlfriend as a secondary applicant. Ok, here come the question
  1. My first stumbling block with the skills assessment is that they want a copy of my old working holiday visa. Only problem is I know longer have this as I have renewed my passport. What do people normally do in this situation?

I would try to estimate as close the dates as possible - mention months/years only - it is the same with holidays going back 10 years.
  2. Secondly, within the main visa application, to meet the character requirements do me and my partner simply have to provide a police check for any country we have lived in more than 12 months? The "evidence to attach" doesn't seem as clear as the other eligibility requirements.
  3. Another question, and one of the more difficult ones I'm finding. For my partner to prove her English language skills she needs to provide proof of 5 years at secondary school. What evidence is acceptable for this? My first thought was GCSE certificates but they only really cover 2 years of study. Could we provide a letter from the school? And if so, anyone know what the minimum requirements of such a letter would be? Letterhead? Position of authority? Etc.

I don't think your partner needs to prove her English language capabilities - I'm applying under a 475 visa and I had to take IELTS test - my defacto partner didn't need to.
  4. Next question, an another one I found little information about. What evidence do we need to provide of being in a defacto relationship? The eligibility requirements don't appear to even mention this and the checklist simply states we need to provide evidence. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I provided letters from friends and family, included joint accounts, mortgage statements and photos of us on holiday together from years ago.
  5. Last question! This is more a query about timing. On lodging a visa application and assuming everything is fine, what is the average amount of time after lodging is a health exam normally requested? And is it requested for both applicants at the same time? I know there's no definite answer for this but would be good for us to have a rough idea of other peoples experience.

I would suggest not submitting your medicals/police checks until at least 4 months after visa submission as due to large volumes of applicants, visa processing are being delayed.
Sorry for the huge list of questions contained within one thread although I'm guessing I'm not the first to have a head full of questions after the initial research stage. Any help is much appreciated

Hope these answers help.......

Last edited by Rideaway; Nov 24th 2008 at 8:25 pm. Reason: Add colours
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by simonfiction
Hi,

We passed the ACS in April 08, and i don't recall having to give them a copy of my OH's WHV... I could be wrong, and alot has happened since then, but they were assessing his IT skills...We did have to enter the information for the actual Visa App though, and gave month/year for dates...

Yep. A Police Certificate for any Country you have lived in for 12months+ for each of you.

Are you applying just on your own skills, or using your partners skills for more points...??
    If applying based on your own, then do you need to prove her English Language Skills? And if your sure you do, then can she not sit the IELTS??

BIL had to do this... So, any joint bills, bank statements, photographs, letters and stat dec's from peeps who know you both...and from friends and family..

We applied 175 MODL beginning of May and did our medicals beginning of October. Family of 4, and we all went together at the same time. We did them before they were requested, and many do, i think it's down to personal choice in whether to wait to have them requested or no.

Hi Simon...

I hope this may have answered some of your questions for you.... Though i have only answered through personal experience...

Good Luck..

Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

Thanks for the replies both.

memewest - Regarding my partner proving her English abilities, she's not applying based on skills, simply as my partner. The link here says that I can provide evidence of her education was conducted in English, which just seems a lot simpler than paying for an IELTS test.

Thanks again