Skills Select 189 visa and Skills Assement

Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:05 am
Just Joined

RaveOn is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help Needed from Expat Families or Engineers

Hi,

I am looking for advice from families and/or engineers who have emigrated to Australia recently up to around 4 years ago.

I have been searching this and similar sites for a few days looking for advice on visa applications and i'm am a little confused mainly due to the jargon and which route to go down.

My situation is as follows:

*My partner and I are both 27, we have two kids at 4 and 5 yrs old.

*I have a 2:1 engineering degree, My partner will soon have an NVQ 3 in child care (her NVQ is not on the skills list)

*I have worked in the Nuclear Industry for just over 3 years since graduating as an Operations Engineer (I believe previous experience is not counted but I was a Maintenance Fitter before then)

* I plan to use the equity in our house to emigrate but it will be an all or nothing move, I don't have the cash to try a holiday first.

I believe my skill will be Engineering Technician and I will need to complete a skills assessment with Engineers Australia (my degree is not accredited by the engineering council and so does not come under the Washington/Sydney accord)

I have the following questions:

Where did you start with the visa process?

At this stage I don't really want my employer to know of my intent to emigrate, what did you use for references for the skills assesment? I have a few letters confirming my appointment into my job and for promotions etc.. will these and P60s suffice as evidence of employment?

How/where did you find work, was this easy compared to the UK (It is said that Aussie is booming and that engineers especially of all levels and disciplines are in high demand and are snapped up, is this a myth?)

what are the living costs bills/food etc compared to the average Australian salary? (I am not a materialistic person and so only looking to make a modest liveable income without the money worries)

What is the cost of rent? (my partner said she would only go if we had a pool so this is a must!, but I am not looking for a mansion, we live in a 3 bed terraced house something similar would suite me)

Is the life style really better than the UK?

I have many more questions but help with the above would highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Post Skills Select 189 visa and Skills Assement

Hi,

My partner and I are currently considering a move to Oz with our 2 kids. we are both 27 and kids are 4 and 5.

I have a 2:1 Hons degree in engineering with 3 years + in the Nuclear industry (don't want to work in nuke in Oz though) and my OH will soon have her NVQ L3 in child care and she currently works with a special needs child.

At the moment I have only read about the process i.e. the 189 skill select page on the immi website and also read the Engineers Australia skill assessment form. (not sure if my OH job is on the skill list)

I just want to have my skills assessed and validated, fill in the EOI stuff and see where I fit in likely hood of being invited to apply for a visa and more importantly one or both of us getting a job.

-I was just wondering how much it costs to submit the 189 visa application?

-Would Engineers Australia want to contact my employer? (At this early stage I don't really want them to know I am thinking of emigrating, but if needs must then I will tell them)

-I understand that a skills assessment has no time limit and EOI lasts 2 yrs but have 60 days to apply for a visa if invited?

- Any other general information such as rental cost, cost of living, job prospects, where best to live (perth etc) would be great

thanks in advance
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:54 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills Select 189 visa and Skills Assement

Originally Posted by RaveOn
Hi,

My partner and I are currently considering a move to Oz with our 2 kids. we are both 27 and kids are 4 and 5.

I have a 2:1 Hons degree in engineering with 3 years + in the Nuclear industry (don't want to work in nuke in Oz though) and my OH will soon have her NVQ L3 in child care and she currently works with a special needs child.

At the moment I have only read about the process i.e. the 189 skill select page on the immi website and also read the Engineers Australia skill assessment form. (not sure if my OH job is on the skill list)

I just want to have my skills assessed and validated, fill in the EOI stuff and see where I fit in likely hood of being invited to apply for a visa and more importantly one or both of us getting a job.

-Would Engineers Australia want to contact my employer? (At this early stage I don't really want them to know I am thinking of emigrating, but if needs must then I will tell them)

-I understand that a skills assessment has no time limit and EOI lasts 2 yrs but have 60 days to apply for a visa if invited?

- Any other general information such as rental cost, cost of living, job prospects, where best to live (perth etc) would be great

thanks in advance
Hi RaveOn

I'm sorry no-one answered your earlier post (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783092) but you don't need to post same questions again.

I don't know how much a skills assessment with EA costs - I'm sure that it will say on their website, as well as other info about application. Don't think they have to contact your employers.

You can get the cost of the visa from the immi website - not sure of current cost - use their search function.

I used google a lot for other costs and have been over for a visit before applying, which is well worth it especially if you haven't been before. Realestate.com.au will give you house prices / rental costs for an area. Can't tell you job prospects - try seek or similar from google to see what current vacancy situation is and maybe save a search and have the site e-mail you new vacancies so you can see how often jobs come up. As for where is best to live - that's down to you and what you want to do, and where you can get work etc.

Good luck
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/990i-charges.htm
Visa charges are here
Old Jan 11th 2013, 6:28 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, have you had a look at the Engineers Australia website for the skills assessment: http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...lls-assessment

I'm not sure what a 2:1 degree is, but you need to identify whether you have an accredited degree and to what level. Generally EA recognizes an Engineer as someone that has completed 4 years of full-time study.

I believe my skill will be Engineering Technician and I will need to complete a skills assessment with Engineers Australia (my degree is not accredited by the engineering council and so does not come under the Washington/Sydney accord)
Everyone seeking a 189 visa needs a Skills Assessment (prior to lodging an EOI), if you do not have qualifications under the Washington/Sydney accord, you will need to complete a Competency Demonstration Report, from the website be prepared to allow at least 17 weeks for them to process your application, more so if it is incomplete or if they require more information.

If you get invited to lodge an application, it costs $3060 AUD. The EOI is free, and upon submission of a complete application the system will tell you how many points your EOI is worth.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Hi,

msmyrtle - I have a 2:1 honours degree which is a little harder than an ordinary degree but not quite a masters degree. Basically you have to achieve more than 360 credits in 3 years and do more course work, where an ordinary degree is 300 credits.

Thank you all, l I appreciate you taking the time to reply and posting the links. I will keep researching. : )