Skills Assessment whilst in OZ?

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Lee and Maria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills Assessment whilst in OZ?

Hi, I am coming to OZ on a working holiday visa in April to see how i like the country and if all goes well will apply for a visa.

As a Bricklayer it seems i will be working self employed much the same as it is in the UK, so i'd have no chance getting sponsored unless some small builders employ their workers?

So to apply for a 175 visa I need my qualifications assessed with Vetassess. I contacted Vetassess and unfortunately they are not authorized to conduct the practical skill test onshore i.e. in Australia. Applicants need to be present in the UK for the practical test.This means I will need to wait till I return to the UK, then complete the skills assessment and THEN apply for the 175.

Does anyone have any information or knowledge as to weather I can have my Bricklaying Qualification assessed whilst in Australia? Is there another company that can conduct the assessment in OZ?

I was told by a migration agent at the October Emigrate show that I could have the assessment done in Australia and it would be cheaper and no practical test is required, but this does not seem to be the case.

Hope someone can help with this

Thanks.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills Assessment whilst in OZ?

TRA
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Try googling Australian Construction Training Services or ACTS.

I had my skills assessed by them and was given an Australian recognised qualification. I was already a resident but needed the Aussie qualifications for my BSA license (another story). The qualification that they give you is recognised by the migration services and might help. They are setting up places in the UK and Oz to help and train people to obtain the right qualifications.

Best of luck, Mick
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Try googling Australian Construction Training Services or ACTS.

I had my skills assessed by them and was given an Australian recognised qualification. I was already a resident but needed the Aussie qualifications for my BSA license (another story). The qualification that they give you is recognised by the migration services and might help. They are setting up places in the UK and Oz to help and train people to obtain the right qualifications.

Best of luck, Mick
As I said before, TRA does the skills assessment for bricklayers outside of UK. See here for a list of the skilled occupations for migration and the assessing authority you would apply to.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Lee and Maria is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

For Migration my skills have to be assessed by TRA or Vetassess, so i would imagine ACTS would not be recognized in my visa application.

I have checked the TRA website and this is in the FAQ:

Which trades does TRA issue an ARTC for?

TRA issues ARTCs in metal and electrical trades.

This is the list of trades they assess: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nsassessed.htm

I will have to wait till the new year (as they are closed for christmas) and contact them to see if they still process applications for Bricklayers already in the country, even tho i will only be on a Working Holiday Visa. Ba Humbug to christmas!
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

ACTS give you a qualification that is recognised by TRA and Vetassess.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

GiancarloV is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in a similar position. I'll be in Oz on 457 visa and need skills assessment to apply for 175. I'm a motor mechanic, anyone know if I can do this in Oz or do I need to return to UK?