Skills assessment for graduate engineer

Old Aug 1st 2013, 2:37 am
Just Joined

uf1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills assessment for graduate engineer

Hello everyone,
I am a recently graduated mechanical engineer and these days I am researching into some permanent residence visas which I am eligible to apply.
Someone told me in order to get the invitation for visas like 189 you have to have a positive skills assessment outcome from Engineers Australia.
The problem is that I have no work experience so would it create any problem? Is there anyone here who could guide me on this? I inquired about this through e-mail from some immigration consultants but they seemed to be quite rude and did not answer my question!
I also dropped an e-mail to Engineers Australia asking them the same questions to which they said that I can submit an application any time as work experience is not mandatory.
this is so confusing!

Note: First I completed HND in mechanical engineering then joined University to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Waiting for replies!
I badly need some help!

Last edited by uf1987; Aug 1st 2013 at 3:06 am.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 2:49 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills assessment for graduate engineer

Originally Posted by uf1987
Hello everyone,
I am a recently graduated mechanical engineer and these days I am researching into some permanent residence visas which I am eligible to apply.
Someone told me in order to get the invitation for visas like 189 you have to have a positive skills assessment outcome from Engineers Australia.
The problem is that I have no work experience so would it create any problem? Is there anyone here who could guide me on this? I inquired about this through e-mail from some immigration consultants but they seemed to be quite rude and did not answer my question!
I also dropped an e-mail to Engineers Australia asking them the same questions to which they said that I can submit an application any time as work experience is not mandatory.
this is so confusing!

Note: First I did HND then joined a University to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Waiting for replies!
I badly need some help!
Hi uf1987,

The assessing body for engineers is Engineers Australia. From their FAQ

I have limited engineering experience. Can I still apply for an assessment of my qualifications?
Yes, you can still apply. It is possible for you to demonstrate the competencies by referring to your undergraduate professional engineering qualifications and the project/work experience elements of your academic study. Applicants may however find writing the career episodes more challenging without workplace experience from which to evidence the competencies.
Please note that you must provide a certificate copy of an employer reference letter if you have relevant experience of 12 month or more, or if the work experience provides a basis for a Career Episode.
For more info - https://www.engineersaustralia.org.a...lls-assessment

Hope that helps
Old Aug 1st 2013, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi uf1987,

The assessing body for engineers is Engineers Australia. From their FAQ

For more info - https://www.engineersaustralia.org.a...lls-assessment

Hope that helps
Thanks for the prompt reply!
It is indeed helpful but sounds too risky as I have no work experience.
I am scarred what if I get a negative result for my skills assessments!!!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:58 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the prompt reply!
It is indeed helpful but sounds too risky as I have no work experience.
I am scarred what if I get a negative result for my skills assessments!!!
If you get a negative result now, you can re-apply at a later date once you have some experience. Or put your plans on hold now and try and gain some experience before applying.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 5:32 am
Just Joined

If you get a negative result now, you can re-apply at a later date once you have some experience. Or put your plans on hold now and try and gain some experience before applying.
Well I have no problem with gaining experience first. What worries me a lot is that these visa policies are volatile! every other government changes them accordingly. What if they abolish these visas in a year or two years time?
Old Aug 1st 2013, 5:38 am

Well I have no problem with gaining experience first. What worries me a lot is that these visa policies are volatile! every other government changes them accordingly. What if they abolish these visas in a year or two years time?
No-one has a crystal ball, so no-one can say what will happen in the future. It is still your choice as to whether on not you risk applying now. You could have a look at what you would need to do for the skills assessment and make your decision from there.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 6:25 am
Just Joined

No-one has a crystal ball, so no-one can say what will happen in the future. It is still your choice as to whether on not you risk applying now. You could have a look at what you would need to do for the skills assessment and make your decision from there.

indeed! no one has the knowledge of future. So I will have to make a tough decision whether should I take a risk or not! let's see what happens next!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

RURUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,
this is so confusing!

Note: First I completed HND in mechanical engineering then joined University to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Waiting for replies!
I badly need some help!
Have you looked into applying for subclass 486 visa?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by RURUS
Have you looked into applying for subclass 486 visa?
Are you sure you have that subclass number right? What type of visa is that?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:30 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you have that subclass number right? What type of visa is that?
I think it's a typo, 476 - Recent Graduate (Engineering). If you're a graduate from a list of 'approved' (for lack of a better word) universities you may be eligible for 18 months (open) work visa.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
I think it's a typo, 476 - Recent Graduate (Engineering). If you're a graduate from a list of 'approved' (for lack of a better word) universities you may be eligible for 18 months (open) work visa.
Thanks msmyrtle. Is the list of universities on the DIAC site do you know?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

peace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

If you can afford some money and efforts, then apply now. Worst is you will be negatively assessed with proper reasons. This way you will know the gaps to be filled for +ve assessment plus you will have complete knowledge for preparing assessment app and process. Which will help you later when applying again.

On contrary, visa rules can change any time. They may abandon or may adopt +ve policies. If you opt this path, then you must remain +ve and have firm faith that God will do best for you in future, provided you remain +ve and honest.

All the best

Bye,
Peace
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peace19
Hi,

If you can afford some money and efforts, then apply now. Worst is you will be negatively assessed with proper reasons. This way you will know the gaps to be filled for +ve assessment plus you will have complete knowledge for preparing assessment app and process. Which will help you later when applying again.

On contrary, visa rules can change any time. They may abandon or may adopt +ve policies. If you opt this path, then you must remain +ve and have firm faith that God will do best for you in future, provided you remain +ve and honest.

All the best

Bye,
Peace
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Yes I am eligible for that visa as my university is in their list
But I would rather prefer PR visa over it if I get a positive feedback otherwise I will go for Recognized Graduate Visa.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks msmyrtle. Is the list of universities on the DIAC site do you know?
Yep here you go!
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...stitutions.htm
it is a very long list of universities and colleges around the world which has been recognized by the immigration department of Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.