Wikiposts

skills assessment

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice
Default Re: skills assessment

ok no worries I will take a look and thanks

as long as the TRA state my current role as closely related to my choosen SOL I should be ok for the visa.....it is purely this having to have worked 12 of the last 24 months that is stopping my application
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:15 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingdownunderihope
As far as I know the skills assessment is valid indefinitely. TRA are taking a long time at the moment, so you might be waiting 4-6 months from when you apply. You'll have to check the guidelines at TRA website on recent work experience.

Good luck mate
It's worth double checking the validity, as ours is/was valid for two years. Ours wasn't done through TRA though.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice

OK thats I will take a look and try contacting them
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:25 am
Just Joined

dazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to jump in here and hijack a little. We (my wife was the main applicant) have just had our 176 visa declined, well not exactly declined but rather case officer told us to withdraw. We had all the boxes ticked, 12 months of work experience IELTS etc. Only right at the end did we find out that the 12 months had to be "20 hours per week" each week for the 12 month period and paid for each month. It does not say this any were on the OZ immi website, but I have since found it on state websites etc.

Basically to answer your question. The body that rates your qualifications is not interested in your work experience at all. So go ahead and get your qualifications assessed as there are now longer processing times with the various bodies due to the higher demand from the imminent skills select change. At the date your actual visa is applied for you need to show that you have worked at least 12 months out of the last 24 paid employment in the field that you are applying in and it must be paid and at least 20 hours per week. You need paper work from your current employer to prove this.

Now if any one can help me out.

Does any one know if the same requirements (relating to work/employment experience are in place for a 457 visa. I have seen that some categories require 3 years experience others no experience. My wife is a counselling Psychologist and has worked basically for 2 years in the last 4, due to maternity reasons. It has been part time work, some of it locum and some in her private practice. Is there any way that she will be able to get a 457 based on this work experience. Her qualifications have been approved, we have ielts, medicals, police clearance all sorted. We want to know whether or not we should start looking for willing employers to sponsor in OZ.

Any help here would be great.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:58 am

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazz
Sorry to jump in here and hijack a little. We (my wife was the main applicant) have just had our 176 visa declined, well not exactly declined but rather case officer told us to withdraw. We had all the boxes ticked, 12 months of work experience IELTS etc. Only right at the end did we find out that the 12 months had to be "20 hours per week" each week for the 12 month period and paid for each month. It does not say this any were on the OZ immi website, but I have since found it on state websites etc.

Basically to answer your question. The body that rates your qualifications is not interested in your work experience at all. So go ahead and get your qualifications assessed as there are now longer processing times with the various bodies due to the higher demand from the imminent skills select change. At the date your actual visa is applied for you need to show that you have worked at least 12 months out of the last 24 paid employment in the field that you are applying in and it must be paid and at least 20 hours per week. You need paper work from your current employer to prove this.

Now if any one can help me out.

Does any one know if the same requirements (relating to work/employment experience are in place for a 457 visa. I have seen that some categories require 3 years experience others no experience. My wife is a counselling Psychologist and has worked basically for 2 years in the last 4, due to maternity reasons. It has been part time work, some of it locum and some in her private practice. Is there any way that she will be able to get a 457 based on this work experience. Her qualifications have been approved, we have ielts, medicals, police clearance all sorted. We want to know whether or not we should start looking for willing employers to sponsor in OZ.

Any help here would be great.
I'm sorry to hear that your visa application was declined. I should point out though that the 20 hour per week requirement is on the DIAC website (on the overseas & Australian skilled employment part of the 176 page), and has been for as long as I've been looking at it.

Note: For the purpose of awarding points, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship considers skilled employment in the nominated occupation or a closely related occupation to be at least 20 hours every week. In determining whether your skilled employment is closely related to their nominated occupation, the department will take into consideration the occupations within one unit group classified under Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO).

Before lodging an application, please read all related requirements.
Here is the eligibility page for the 457.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:11 am
Just Joined

@Mrsgreenstar76

Wow, I must admit I missed that, and I spent hours on the immi website. (on the overseas & Australian skilled employment part of the 176 page)

In response to your post relating to the 457 requirements

"As an employee, you must meet all the following requirements:

be sponsored by an employer to fill a nominated position
have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background which match those required for the position
demonstrated English language proficiency
be eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position"

What I am looking for is what constitutes the "Experience and an employment background" specifically what would this be. Is it the DIAC that decides if you meet this?

Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by dazz
@Mrsgreenstar76

Wow, I must admit I missed that, and I spent hours on the immi website. (on the overseas & Australian skilled employment part of the 176 page)

In response to your post relating to the 457 requirements

"As an employee, you must meet all the following requirements:

be sponsored by an employer to fill a nominated position
have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background which match those required for the position
demonstrated English language proficiency
be eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position"

What I am looking for is what constitutes the "Experience and an employment background" specifically what would this be. Is it the DIAC that decides if you meet this?

Thanks.
It can be really easy to miss some of the stuff on there. I only knew because I've pretty much obsessed about the DIAC site for three years! I'm on there every day, and I still don't know even a tiny fraction of what's on it!

Okay, skills/qualifications to match the position - I would have thought that would be proven by the skills assessment.

Demonstrated English language ability - IELTS.

If the applicant requires registration, then they'd need to be eligible for registration. For example, if you were a pharmacist, you'd need to be registered in whichever state you were intending to work in.

Hope that helps. I'm not that up on 457s!
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
It can be really easy to miss some of the stuff on there. I only knew because I've pretty much obsessed about the DIAC site for three years! I'm on there every day, and I still don't know even a tiny fraction of what's on it!

Okay, skills/qualifications to match the position - I would have thought that would be proven by the skills assessment.

Demonstrated English language ability - IELTS.

If the applicant requires registration, then they'd need to be eligible for registration. For example, if you were a pharmacist, you'd need to be registered in whichever state you were intending to work in.

Hope that helps. I'm not that up on 457s!
Thanks for the reply.

We have had the Qualifications assessed and invitation to register with the relevent board was issued, so we could do that easily. So "skills" is a tick. IELTS was a 9, so no issue there. The only sticking point is the work experience part. I have read on some sites that the likes of a trauma Nurse would not need any expereince for a 457 and other need a full 3 years experience. I would like to know about a Psychologist. My wife has expereince but not a full 3 years due to having children.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Ok so is this how this should run...

I apply to get my skills assessed, sit the IELTS exam if all good then apply once I have completed 12 months on my current role!

So the TRA should in theory confirm that my current role is suitable to be closely related if not then who confirms this?
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by samb29
Ok so is this how this should run...

I apply to get my skills assessed, sit the IELTS exam if all good then apply once I have completed 12 months on my current role!

So the TRA should in theory confirm that my current role is suitable to be closely related if not then who confirms this?
Pretty much, make sure you have all your paper work, like IELTS results (at least 4.5), TRA assessments etc and then as soon as you have 12 months closely related experience then you should be good to go. They will let you know about medicals etc once you are contacted. They will also inform you once contacted if you require any additional eveidence. But MAKE SURE that the check list of basic requirements are met ( http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-applicant.htm ) and you good to go.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

From the TRA website secton 2.4 (d) d) have at least 12 months of paid employment in your nominated occupation in the two years immediately before applying

So the TRA do take this into account which means I cant get my skills assessed until I have reached 12 months!

Can some also clarify can that I have to complete TRA Migration Skills Assessment AND Migration Points Advice?

They appear to both have to be completed at $300 each......or is the points purely for work experience points as you no longer gain point for your role you just have to have one on the SOL.

Therefore I would just need to complete the first one as I am not seeking work experience points
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

also can anyone advise on the below (b) and (c)

so....I have completed a 3 year apprenticeship and I have worked for a total of 4.5 years in this role....3 years apprentice and 1.5 years after apprenticeship....however is (C) stating it should be 3 years after apprenticeship?

a) are from a country and in an occupation covered by the TRA Migration Skills Assessment program

b) have a qualification comparable to the Australian qualification for your nominated occupation
or
have completed an apprenticeship comparable to the Australian apprenticeship for your nominated occupation

c) have three years of full-time paid employment in your nominated occupation at the required skill level

d) have at least 12 months of paid employment in your nominated occupation in the two years immediately before applying

e) have paid the $300 TRA Migration Skills Assessment fee.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

I think I might be screwed

2.8.3 EMPLOYMENT IS RELEVANT AND AT THE REQUIRED SKILL LEVEL FOR YOUR NOMINATED OCCUPATION
Employment will be considered relevant to your nominated occupation if your employment statement/s demonstrate that you have performed tasks comparable to those undertaken in the nominated occupation in Australia.
Employment will be considered at the required skill level for your nominated occupation if you provide evidence that you have worked in the occupation at a skill level comparable to a qualified tradesperson/technician in the occupation in Australia.
We will compare the statements provided by your employers and the written description of your work in your own words in Part 8 of the application form, with the tasks specified in the Australian Government agreed sources of the descriptions of occupations, such as the Australian New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO).
TRA generally considers that skilled employment is undertaken after the issuance of a qualification which is formally recognised as comparable to the Australian qualification required for the occupation in Australia.
Some applicants may have been issued with an AQF qualification recently through a recognition of prior learning (RPL) process. This may be their first comparable qualification.
Skilled employment prior to the issuance of an AQF qualification may be recognised if the employment:
a) is directly related to the nominated occupation
b) commenced after the applicant’s 16th birthday
c) includes a minimum of five years full-time (or equivalent) paid employment under the direct supervision of a tradesperson/employer (an informal training period) before an additional three years full-time (or equivalent) paid employment has been completed at the required skill level for the occupation.
Skilled employment undertaken prior to and after the issuance of an AQF qualification will be considered to meet the three year requirement.