Skilled Migration - Work Experience

Old Nov 30th 2002, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

ozoutback is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Migration - Work Experience

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows the detail of the work experience criterion.

I have been unemployed for 6 months 2 weeks, but now have a job. Does this make me 'persona non grata' in terms of the Australian Department of Immigration. (Which requires 12 months work out of the last 18 to be in work). I have about 10yrs IT experience and no other long breaks in my employment.

Does anyone know how I can find out, or is there any contacts at DIMA I can speak too.

I have already been assessed by ACS, have enough points for DIMA, 60 for IT, 10 for work experience.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 10:25 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Migration - Work Experience

The need to have worked for 12 months out of the last 18 months is a basic requirement for a 60 point occupation when you are applying under most of the Skilled visa categories. So from what you are saying you cannot make a valid application under the 136-Skilled Independent visa subclass.

Ironically, if you were nominating a 40 or 50 point occupation you could make a valid application as you only need to have been in work for 2 out of the last 3 years. However, with a 40 or 50 pointer you are unlikely to get to the points pass mark unless you have a close family member living in Australia who can act as a sponsor.

Best regards.

Originally posted by ozoutback
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows the detail of the work experience criterion.

I have been unemployed for 6 months 2 weeks, but now have a job. Does this make me 'persona non grata' in terms of the Australian Department of Immigration. (Which requires 12 months work out of the last 18 to be in work). I have about 10yrs IT experience and no other long breaks in my employment.

Does anyone know how I can find out, or is there any contacts at DIMA I can speak too.

I have already been assessed by ACS, have enough points for DIMA, 60 for IT, 10 for work experience.

Thanks in advance.