Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Skilled migration = nominated job till you die or GET OUT?

Skilled migration = nominated job till you die or GET OUT?

Old Aug 16th 2004, 2:41 am
Just Joined

attaccante is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled migration = nominated job till you die or GET OUT?

If you get your PR by the skilled migration way, can they kick you out if (lets say after 2 years) you're changing jobs and work in an area that doesn't rated the points you needed to get the PR?

So do the check once in a while if you still work in your nominated occupation?
Old Aug 16th 2004, 3:00 am

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled migration = nominated job till you die or GET OUT?

Don't know about the state sponsored schemes, but I'm pretty sure that normal skilled migration doesn't require you to work in either the occupation you nominated, or indeed any occupation on the skilled migration list......ever.

Once you have your visa it's up to you what you do.

Steve

Originally Posted by attaccante
If you get your PR by the skilled migration way, can they kick you out if (lets say after 2 years) you're changing jobs and work in an area that doesn't rated the points you needed to get the PR?

Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:45 am
Just Joined

attaccante is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevereed
Don't know about the state sponsored schemes, but I'm pretty sure that normal skilled migration doesn't require you to work in either the occupation you nominated, or indeed any occupation on the skilled migration list......ever.

Once you have your visa it's up to you what you do.

Steve
Can anyone confirm this?

cause it's hard to believe when you see the 'relevancy of courses' is such a big issue
Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:54 am

I would contact an agent for some advice. The DIMIA website has lots of info, but may not cover the intracacies.

Can anyone confirm this?

cause it's hard to believe when you see the 'relevancy of courses' is such a big issue
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:38 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You can do what you want i know someone who went as a plasterer and is working in a bakery!! its ok going under your skilled profession but finding a job doing it dosnt seem as easy, my partner is a carpenter & joiner we are applying for stni ive been checking job vaccanies in the area we want to go to but dosnt seem to be much around which really dosn't make sense as his job is on the skills shortage list!! maybe the vaccancies are all word of mouth?

Kay
Old Aug 16th 2004, 2:17 pm

I thought that was the case.

The migration system appears fundementally concerned with having qualified and/or educated people in the country. I guess that even if you don't follow a SOL occupation when you get there, at least it's an option to you, and better than having peolple who can never fulfil those positions (unskilled)

Steve

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi

You can do what you want i know someone who went as a plasterer and is working in a bakery!! its ok going under your skilled profession but finding a job doing it dosnt seem as easy, my partner is a carpenter & joiner we are applying for stni ive been checking job vaccanies in the area we want to go to but dosnt seem to be much around which really dosn't make sense as his job is on the skills shortage list!! maybe the vaccancies are all word of mouth?

Kay
Old Aug 16th 2004, 2:41 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Makes no difference what you do when you get there, although I wonder myself what would happen if at the end of the two years you've been fruit picking or cleaning swimming pools?!

I think the point is they want people that have got half a brain and aren't just going to sit on their a***e and drain the Oz government of their welfare!!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 2:47 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

I can confirm that you can do what ever you want as stated above. I'm a computer programmer but my agents has got my skills accessed by Engineers Australia as opposed the Australian Computer Society. Even though I am entering the country as an engineer I can work in whatever filed I want (programing).
Old Aug 16th 2004, 2:58 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

We're applying via the STNI route so hubby got nominated by South Australia to work as a panel beater. He doesn't however have to work as a panel beater once he gets there.

I'm not too sure if this is the same situation for all categories for skilled migration though.

Sasha
Old Aug 17th 2004, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snappy
We're applying via the STNI route so hubby got nominated by South Australia to work as a panel beater. He doesn't however have to work as a panel beater once he gets there.

I'm not too sure if this is the same situation for all categories for skilled migration though.

Sasha
It's more or less the same except for:

- on the SIR visa, it's not clear how they will view unskilled employment at PR visa stage
- on an RSMS visa you do have to work for your sponsoring employer for two years.

Going on welfare is not generally an option as new migrants are excluded for 2 years.

Jeremy
Old Aug 17th 2004, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Yep, you can work/live where you like on a 136!.

SS