Skilled migrant visa or defacto visa?

Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Skilled migrant visa or defacto visa?

Hey just looking for some advice, Im a nurse (English) and my other half of 3 years 6 months is a Kiwi. According to DIAC it says that New Zealand perm residence can sponsor their overseas partner for perm residency here.

Have some friends in the same position who have decided that its easier to go for the defacto option rather than the skilled migrant options.

I have looked a little into it and it seems good, i dont want to be tied to my work place since it sucks so dont want work to sponsor me. Also i think you get residency (temp) immediately and that I can work on this, which would be better than a 457 visa. IS it true that if you are together to 2 years post they issue a perm residency visa??

Am I mad for doing the defacto visa????
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled migrant visa or defacto visa?

Originally Posted by Sugo
Hey just looking for some advice, Im a nurse (English) and my other half of 3 years 6 months is a Kiwi. According to DIAC it says that New Zealand perm residence can sponsor their overseas partner for perm residency here.

Have some friends in the same position who have decided that its easier to go for the defacto option rather than the skilled migrant options.

I have looked a little into it and it seems good, i dont want to be tied to my work place since it sucks so dont want work to sponsor me. Also i think you get residency (temp) immediately and that I can work on this, which would be better than a 457 visa. IS it true that if you are together to 2 years post they issue a perm residency visa??

If you are together for two years AND have children then you will get a Spouse PR visa straight away. Without children its 5 years
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Some people will say that you're mad, but I went the defacto 309/100 route and everything has worked out for me.

The initial visa is "Provisional" not temporary. There's probably not a lot of difference legally, but telling a prospective employer that you have a provisional permanent visa as opposed to a temporary one will likely help when looking for work.

Cheers

Steve
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Your NZ partner cannot sponsor for permanent residence unless he or she is an "eligible" NZ citizen, or an Australian permanent resident (or citizen).

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1162.pdf

If you are eligible for ENS, that is likely a better option, and your NZ partner can get permanent resident status at the same time.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:50 am
Banned

CrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really nice

if you partner is not an eligable NZ citizen, you can still get the 461 NZ partner visa which is basically a 5 year renewable pseudo PR visa. It has the advantage that even if your partner leaves you they cant withdraw sponsorship.

I think you also need to apply for it offshore ? Anyway check it out its definitely a good visa and will allow you to stay here while a GSM application is slowly ticking through.

The downside is that if you seperate to renew it, you cant be in a relationship with anyone else. (but I always thought if you were in Australia and you did enter a relationship it would probably be with an aussie, so you can get a spouse visa)

457 visa's no longer tie visa holders to the employer, that changed on monday.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

If you get a 309 spouse visa then how long does it last i.e. does it have to be validated within a certain period once received?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
If you get a 309 spouse visa then how long does it last i.e. does it have to be validated within a certain period once received?
You'll get 12 months from the date of your police certificate or health check whichever is the earlier to enter Australia.

The 309 temp visa itself is valid until the 100 (perm) visa application is granted, denied or withdrawn.

Cheers

Steve
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
You'll get 12 months from the date of your police certificate or health check whichever is the earlier to enter Australia.

The 309 temp visa itself is valid until the 100 (perm) visa application is granted, denied or withdrawn.

Cheers

Steve
hey thanks for all the replies, has givent me plenty to look into cheers