Skilled Independent v Skilled Sponsored

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about
Smile Skilled Independent v Skilled Sponsored

Hi all,

I need a little advice on what to do here ?

I've just got a positive result from the TRA (Electronics Equipment Tradesperson ASCO Code 4315-11) which came onto the MODL earlier this year. This gives me just enough points (120) to go Skilled Independent which is great :-) My Migration Agent is advising to still take the Sponsored route as my trade could be removed from the MODL as any time and my application will fail due to lack of points ? My preference is to take the independent route as it will save my Wife's Aunt filling in complex forms and getting certified copies of Birth Certs etc to prove the relationship. It will also save me sending $5000 to my mate who will put up the Bond for AoS.

Surely if my application is lodged and acknowledged they will process it on the current MODL ? If not could I put a note saying that if my trade is removed from the MODL during the application process I have the option to go sponsored.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by Swing-Your-Pants; Aug 2nd 2005 at 1:17 pm. Reason: spelling !
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:41 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Independent v Skilled Sponsored

Originally Posted by Swing-Your-Pants
Hi all,

I've just got a positive result from the TRA (Electronics Equipment Tradesperson ASCO Code 4315-11) which came onto the MODL earlier this year. This gives me just enough points (120) to go Skilled Independent which is great :-) My Migration Agent is advising to still take the Sponsored route as my trade could be removed from the MODL as any time and my application will fail due to lack of points ? My preference is to take the independent route as it will save my Wife's Aunt filling in complex forms and getting certified copies of Birth Certs etc to proof the relationship. It will also save me sending $5000 to my mate who will put up the Bond for AoS.

Surely if my application is lodged and acknowledged they will process it on the current MODL ? If not could I put a note saying that if my trade is removed from the MODL during the application process I have the option to go sponsored.

Any advice appreciated.
I was advised not to go sponsored if you don't need to, as like you say more complex and more aggrivation. But still I don't really know what is best in all honesty, but if I can get in as independant then I will go for that.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:24 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I've just got a positive result from the TRA (Electronics Equipment Tradesperson ASCO Code 4315-11) which came onto the MODL earlier this year. This gives me just enough points (120) to go Skilled Independent which is great :-) My Migration Agent is advising to still take the Sponsored route as my trade could be removed from the MODL as any time and my application will fail due to lack of points ? My preference is to take the independent route as it will save my Wife's Aunt filling in complex forms and getting certified copies of Birth Certs etc to prove the relationship. It will also save me sending $5000 to my mate who will put up the Bond for AoS.

Any advice appreciated.
Hi. We had a similar dilemma. Only had enough points to go sponsored as hubby will be 45 next month, then gen plumbers came on the MODL which gave us enough points to go independent. All this just before our application was due to go in. Our agent advised us to go independent as it is generally quicker and saves a lot of hassle not to mention the $5000 bond. I have since had a panic about what happens if they take gen plumbers off the MODL, we would then be too old to re apply as sponsored. My agent assures me that they go by the criteria that is in place when you application is lodged. So if you hurry up and get your application lodged while you are still on MODL then you should be fine.

Anne
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:26 pm
Mel

Hi, why don't you try STNI? You only need 70 points and visa is
priority processed. Your nominated job is in the demand list of
Victoria, not sure with SA and Tasmania, though.

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about

Hi, thanks for that. Its an option however we are planning to move to Perth so need the Independent/Sponsored Visa.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Hi. We had a similar dilemma. Only had enough points to go sponsored as hubby will be 45 next month, then gen plumbers came on the MODL which gave us enough points to go independent. All this just before our application was due to go in. Our agent advised us to go independent as it is generally quicker and saves a lot of hassle not to mention the $5000 bond. I have since had a panic about what happens if they take gen plumbers off the MODL, we would then be too old to re apply as sponsored. My agent assures me that they go by the criteria that is in place when you application is lodged. So if you hurry up and get your application lodged while you are still on MODL then you should be fine.

Anne
Is your agent sure? I thought it was only your age that was relevant at the time of the application. They can remove occupations from the MODL, SOL and SSASEL(?) at will and it takes affect on anything that hasn't been granted already - unless they specifically say at the time!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:28 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by it_hooker
Is your agent sure? I thought it was only your age that was relevant at the time of the application. They can remove occupations from the MODL, SOL and SSASEL(?) at will and it takes affect on anything that hasn't been granted already - unless they specifically say at the time!

i think this needs clarifying by somebody like jeremy.....
i would have thought that once your application is lodged and acknowledged, it does not matter if ANYTHING changes??!! that wouldn't be fair if occupations were taken off lists and you had your application in and lodged, but it was in the pipeline/lengthy time scale b4 the approval came through, and they could deny it at that stage.

can any clarify this query?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
i would have thought that once your application is lodged and acknowledged, it does not matter if ANYTHING changes??!! that wouldn't be fair if occupations were taken off lists and you had your application in and lodged, but it was in the pipeline/lengthy time scale b4 the approval came through, and they could deny it at that stage.

Hi,

Probably good if one of the agents can clarify, but I thought that what I had seen in the past said that your points were locked in when your app was "evaluated" by your CO, which could be 3-4 months after the ack. If your occupation goes off the MODL during that time then you could be out of luck.

I also seem to remember that you can't switch on the fly from 136 independent to 138/139 sponsored type visa classes without re-applying. Again, Jeremy or George should be able to clarify this as well.

Cheers,
Brian
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty

This is what Jeremy said last March:

"This is correct in that points for age are based on circumstances at time of application. As are points for work experience.

But the overall point score is only 'locked in' when the points assessment is done, which can be months after application. This can affect people relying on MODL points, for example."

And the thread is:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289938

Hope that helps - although I'm sure it isn't what you want to hear!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

VanTheMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

IMHO, you should go for Skilled Independent rather than Skilled Sponsored. Skilled Independent is straight forward where you submit all the documents and wait for the meds and police checks. As for the Sponsored category, its a bit hassle where you need to identify an assurer for the assurance of support. Note that not everyone can be an assurer as he/she needs to meet certain requirement e.g. threshold income and etc. Nevertheless, your potential assurer needs to attend an appointment with Centrelink, bring all the necessary docs, lodge the bond, wait for the acceptance letter and etc.
In a nutshell...go for Skilled Independent!

Best Regards,
Van

Hi all,

Any advice appreciated.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by brian0
Hi,

Probably good if one of the agents can clarify, but I thought that what I had seen in the past said that your points were locked in when your app was "evaluated" by your CO, which could be 3-4 months after the ack. If your occupation goes off the MODL during that time then you could be out of luck.

I also seem to remember that you can't switch on the fly from 136 independent to 138/139 sponsored type visa classes without re-applying. Again, Jeremy or George should be able to clarify this as well.

Cheers,
Brian
:scared::scared::scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

I didn't want to scare you Anne, but it's a fact that the MODL can change at any time and you are not secure until your CO has evaluated you points including the MODL points. Just as some people benefit from the MODL changing in their favor you can be burned the opposite way.

I hope this doesn't have any impact on you!

Cheers,
Brian

:scared::scared::scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:16 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

We were advised on numerous occasions when making enquiries with various agents to go Skilled Independent if we had enough points as this combines with MODL would probably get a faster result than with the sponsored categories due to the latter having to "fit" with centrelinks current backlog of assurance requests.......
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by brian0
I didn't want to scare you Anne, but it's a fact that the MODL can change at any time and you are not secure until your CO has evaluated you points including the MODL points. Just as some people benefit from the MODL changing in their favor you can be burned the opposite way.

I hope this doesn't have any impact on you!

Cheers,
Brian
Don't apologise Brian. This is something I specifically emailed my agent about last week. Our problem is that my husband (main applicant) is 45 is 4 weeks time!! I have just emailed my agent again. I was never warned of the risks of not going for the skilled sponsored as originally planned.

I guess my next question is what is the likelihood of general plumbers being taken off the MODL before our case is looked at when they were only put on in May this year?

I am officially sh*tt*ng bricks now. If this all goes t*ts up then we have no other way of getting out there. :scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Anne, I would not be too worried in your case. It is likely that general plumbers will not come off the MODL in the near future if they were only put it on there a few months ago. Especially since you are within spitting distance of getting assessed by your CO (8-10 more weeks) I would think you are OK. I don't know how frequently DIMIA update the MODL, but don't get too stressed out about this. Maybe one of the agents here can give you a better feel for this if your agent doesn't help with that.

Cheers,
Brian

Don't apologise Brian. This is something I specifically emailed my agent about last week. Our problem is that my husband (main applicant) is 45 is 4 weeks time!! I have just emailed my agent again. I was never warned of the risks of not going for the skilled sponsored as originally planned.

I guess my next question is what is the likelihood of general plumbers being taken off the MODL before our case is looked at when they were only put on in May this year?

I am officially sh*tt*ng bricks now. If this all goes t*ts up then we have no other way of getting out there. :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.