Skilled entry

Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

GeoSurfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled entry

Hey all!

I'll give the basic details first:

I'm 23, I have worked at an Environmental and Engineering Consultancy for 1.5 years after getting my BSc. I am not too bothered where in Australia I go to. I have geotechnical skills (GIS in particular) using computing, mapping, risk assessments etc. I work with Engineers but I am not a Chartered Engineer myself. There are lots of very similar jobs on the list (Environmental Engineer, Other Spatial Scientist, Geotechnical Engineer), but I am not CEng. So I don't know what to do. Am a probably eligible or not? I don't want to have a failed application/ban.

Really struggling to get my head around all these visa types, I just want to work!

Cheers
Old Jan 16th 2014, 10:10 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled entry

Originally Posted by GeoSurfer
Hey all!

I'll give the basic details first:

I'm 23, I have worked at an Environmental and Engineering Consultancy for 1.5 years after getting my BSc. I am not too bothered where in Australia I go to. I have geotechnical skills (GIS in particular) using computing, mapping, risk assessments etc. I work with Engineers but I am not a Chartered Engineer myself. There are lots of very similar jobs on the list (Environmental Engineer, Other Spatial Scientist, Geotechnical Engineer), but I am not CEng. So I don't know what to do. Am a probably eligible or not? I don't want to have a failed application/ban.

Really struggling to get my head around all these visa types, I just want to work!

Cheers
If you have a skill on the CSOL, you would need to check what is needed to pass the skills assessment. For engineers that would be Engineers Australia, and there are different assessments depending on your qualifications. Have a look here - https://www.engineersaustralia.org.a...lls-assessment
Old Jan 16th 2014, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. I had looked at that but they doesn't really deal with what I do, I don't think. I'm really struggling to pigeonhole myself into AusEng or VETASSESS. I have emailed AusEng hoping for some guidance.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 10:47 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. I had looked at that but they doesn't really deal with what I do, I don't think. I'm really struggling to pigeonhole myself into AusEng or VETASSESS. I have emailed AusEng hoping for some guidance.
If you take a look at the CSOL - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...n/pdf/csol.pdf - the assessing body is given for each occupation. If you cannot satisfy the assessing body's requirements then check and see if there is a similar occupation that covers the work you do, and if you can satisfy those requirements.

You do not need to pigeon hole yourself - DIBP tell you who to seek a skills assessment from
Old Jan 17th 2014, 7:56 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would really struggle to get a skills assessment as an engineer based on what you have written, since you would most likely have to go down the CDR pathway and compare your experience and show how that measures against a very specific metric.

The Engineers Australia skills assessment booklet is here: https://www.engineersaustralia.org.a...nt_booklet.pdf
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

That's my issue - I can't place my job to let immi decide which assessment I should take. Technical Assistant is too broad for the list, it would obviously need very different assessments based on what industry it was in. I agree with you msmyrtle, I don't class my qualifications as Engineering qualifications. But I work, and would work, within Engineering industries. Just not as an Engineer. Argh!
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:32 pm

That's my issue - I can't place my job to let immi decide which assessment I should take. Technical Assistant is too broad for the list, it would obviously need very different assessments based on what industry it was in. I agree with you msmyrtle, I don't class my qualifications as Engineering qualifications. But I work, and would work, within Engineering industries. Just not as an Engineer. Argh!
Have a look through the CSOL and see which occupations may be a match, then use the ANZSCO code for the occupation to check what roles and responsibilities each has. If you find a match, then double check who does the skills assessment and if you can pass that assessment. If there is no match on the occupation list then it will not be possible to get a skilled visa at this time.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

If you email me your qualifications (email on my signature, not via this forum as I don't check the messages regularly) I am happy to have a contact check if those are ok for Engineers Australia.

If you go for a Vetassess occupation this may be easier, but you need to make sure that you meet their criteria for the different occupations. These are set out here:

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_...essByVETASSESS

Have you considered a working holiday visa? That's certainly the fastest and cheapest way to get over and begin working.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Other Spatial Scientist pretty much covers my role, but what constitutes someone being a 'scientist'...

Acquires, integrates, analyses, interprets, presents, manages and distributes information about locations in space and time, and develops related equipment, software and services.

I'll email now, thanks!

I have considered the Working Holiday visa but given that I have a secure full time job in a good workplace now, I would only want to move for a similar position, even if it takes longer this way.

Last edited by GeoSurfer; Jan 17th 2014 at 3:46 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:48 pm

Other Spatial Scientist pretty much covers my role, but what constitutes someone being a 'scientist'...

Acquires, integrates, analyses, interprets, presents, manages and distributes information about locations in space and time, and develops related equipment, software and services.

I'll email now, thanks!
Other Spatial Scientist,232214, is assessed by Vetassess. It is a group A occupation needing a degree with a highly relevant major and at least one years experience - http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_...occupation.cfm
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

If I'm reading this right:

"Group A Occupations require a qualification which is at least at the level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation. In addition to this, the applicant must have at least one year of post-qualification employment in a field which is highly relevant and at an appropriate skill level to your nominated occupation completed in the five years before the date of application for a Skills Assessment."

I have the degree and the experience, but the experience must be gained 5 years before application? So given that I graduated in 2012, I could not apply until 2018 assuming I started work immediately?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:56 pm

If I'm reading this right:

"Group A Occupations require a qualification which is at least at the level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation. In addition to this, the applicant must have at least one year of post-qualification employment in a field which is highly relevant and at an appropriate skill level to your nominated occupation completed in the five years before the date of application for a Skills Assessment."

I have the degree and the experience, but the experience must be gained 5 years before application? So given that I graduated in 2012, I could not apply until 2018 assuming I started work immediately?
You might want to read that again - in the 5 years preceding the application you need to have at least 1 years experience.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Oh I see, it took me about 3 attempts at reading that to fully comprehend what it was saying! Long day. If I do qualify as 'Other Spatial Scientist' - I'm still looking but that describes my role to a tee, so I hope that's it - with that being on the SOL as well as the CSOL I would think that bodes well?

Really appreciate the help, everyone.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:14 pm

Oh I see, it took me about 3 attempts at reading that to fully comprehend what it was saying! Long day. If I do qualify as 'Other Spatial Scientist' - I'm still looking but that describes my role to a tee, so I hope that's it - with that being on the SOL as well as the CSOL I would think that bodes well?

If an occupation is on the SOL you can select the 189 visa if you have enough points which leaves you free to live anywhere within Australia.

If an occupation is on the CSOL only, you cannot try for the 189 but may be able to get a state to sponsor you for a 190 visa. If a job is on the SOL, and you need the extra points, you can still try for state sponsorship and the 190 visa, but this ties you to the sponsoring state for the first 2 years
Old Jan 18th 2014, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is very good that spatial scientist is on the SOL, because if it were only on the CSOL you would need to find a state to sponsor your application, another hoop to jump through.

So for you, the next hurdle is skills assessment. You should be able to complete this if your degree is highly relevant to the role of an "other spatial scientist" and your work experience is highly relevant.

This is a good link with a bit more information on what is deemed to be the role of a spatial scientist. What is your degree subject?

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Scientists

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.