SIR Visa and IT job

Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:35 pm
JBY
Just Joined

JBY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIR Visa and IT job

How do people in IT manage to get a job offer before going to Oz?

If you go over on the SIR visa then u need a min 3 month contract from an Employer before the sponsorship proceeds.

How do you do this? Has anyone heard of IT people getting the SIR for SW (adelaide)?

What are the chances of companies offering you a position without meeting them face to face?

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: SIR Visa and IT job

Originally Posted by JBY
How do people in IT manage to get a job offer before going to Oz?

If you go over on the SIR visa then u need a min 3 month contract from an Employer before the sponsorship proceeds.

How do you do this? Has anyone heard of IT people getting the SIR for SW (adelaide)?

What are the chances of companies offering you a position without meeting them face to face?

Thanks
Hi

We are in Qld on the SIR. Hubby landed a job via a telephone interview in IT prior to our arrival. However, we did not need a job offer for the Visa itself. I believe SA is different and you need a job offer in IT before they grant the Visa. This happened to us, our first choice was SA, but this stipulation proved too difficult in the time frame that we had. Therefore we applied to QLD and was accepted here, and love it by the way. Can oly say apply for everything suitable to you, and let them know you are willing to be interviewed by telephone.
Best of luck
BB
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Spiderman74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SIR Visa and IT job

Did you get a SIR for Qld on the basis of IT qualifications?
As far as I know, IT professionals are not wanted in Qld regional areas.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: SIR Visa and IT job

Originally Posted by Spiderman74
Did you get a SIR for Qld on the basis of IT qualifications?
As far as I know, IT professionals are not wanted in Qld regional areas.
Yes we did. We went through an Agent for our Visa process last year and were told by them that we were the last visa application approved for IT at that time. Looks like we were very lucky.

BB
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

oliver.berst is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JBY.
I do have the same problem like you. The ACS assessed my skills as Systems Manager (ASCO Code 2231-11). The requirement having a job offer first until the SIR visa subclass 495 can be granted is in my opinion a chicken/egg situation.

Not having a job offer = no visa can be granted
Not having a working visa = no job offer

Often companies don't allow me to apply for a position because I do not have a working visa. It's a strange situation. Even during my holidays in Australia where I did personal job hunting, the companies didn't keep my CV as I can not show the right visa :-(

Anyway, I am still looking, calling, applying for IT positions. Never give up...

Cheers,
Olli
Old Jul 15th 2006, 5:38 pm
JBY
Just Joined

JBY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oliver.berst
Hi JBY.
I do have the same problem like you. The ACS assessed my skills as Systems Manager (ASCO Code 2231-11). The requirement having a job offer first until the SIR visa subclass 495 can be granted is in my opinion a chicken/egg situation.

Often companies don't allow me to apply for a position because I do not have a working visa. It's a strange situation. Even during my holidays in Australia where I did personal job hunting, the companies didn't keep my CV as I can not show the right visa :-(

Anyway, I am still looking, calling, applying for IT positions. Never give up...

Cheers,
Olli
Yeah, crazy situ, you cant get sponsorship unless you have a job offer, and you cant get the visa unless you get sponsorship.........it's nuts

A long long shot getting a job offer as far as im concerned, but as you say Oliver just keep applying and hope you get a lucky break.

Cheers
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver.berst
Hi JBY.

People do get sponsored by companies for permanent migration to Australia, but you generally need a skill in real demand in Australia (most occupations are not) in order for a company to be interested. Usually it's just easier/quicker/cheaper to hire the Australian next in line.