Ashish Lib

Default SIR visa

Hi All
I am a Software Engineer working with Tata Consultancy Services for the
past 1 year. I wanted to know is it possible for me to get the SIR
visa.
I did some research on the DIMIA website there it says 1 year
experience is enough for SIR but when I contacted Migration Agents they
said practically its not possible to get a SIR with 1 year experience.
Is it TRUE??????
Also please tell me is it possible to get the STNI visa for SA..

All comments would be highly welcomed.

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Praks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SIR visa

Hi Ashish,

Eventhough the threshold work experience requirement is probably 1 year for SIR visa, you will have to get a positive skills assesment done before applying for the visa at DIMA. You can get the info required at www.acs.org.au.

Unfortunately with just 1 year experience, I am more than sure you will not qualify for ACS assesment.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 10:23 am
Just Joined

sara05 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: SIR visa

Originally Posted by Ashish Lib
Hi All
I am a Software Engineer working with Tata Consultancy Services for the
past 1 year. I wanted to know is it possible for me to get the SIR
visa.
I did some research on the DIMIA website there it says 1 year
experience is enough for SIR but when I contacted Migration Agents they
said practically its not possible to get a SIR with 1 year experience.
Is it TRUE??????
Also please tell me is it possible to get the STNI visa for SA..

All comments would be highly welcomed.
Hallo Ashish
Do not try to come on this visa. This is worst kind of visa. I am facing problems of job on this visa.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:26 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sara05
Hallo Ashish
Do not try to come on this visa. This is worst kind of visa. I am facing problems of job on this visa.
There are a lot of us considering this type of visa and your post has just put the frighteners on - BIG TIME - can you elaborate on the problems you're having?

Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2006, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

sara05 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: SIR visa

Originally Posted by herrchook
There are a lot of us considering this type of visa and your post has just put the frighteners on - BIG TIME - can you elaborate on the problems you're having?

Thanks
Hallo to all
First of all Au is small market in that it is controlled by capital cities. Since I am highly qualified civil engineer I am not able to find suitable jobs. Most jobs are in cities. Very big companies may have projects in country side but since our mobility is restrictive they may not be interested. Firther when you say to employer that this is temp. visa they do not contact you again. I have come here six weeks back but did not get a single interview.
It may be OK for those who would work with small local firms.
Agaijn there is no Medicare. How the DIMA expects to find medical facility in remote areas?
When I registered with Tax File No. they considered me for non resident wherein I have to pay more tax. I asked them then they said that You write a letter to tax office saying that this is working visa for three years and should be considered as resident for tax purpose.
Then there is restriction of buing property also.
There after again you have apply for STNI again stick to some state for two years . That means wait for total four years for PR.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:16 am
Pigzmickey

Good points, but for most not on MODL its the only way in...
Did you have to show the prospective employers a copy of the visa?

Posted via http://www.mymigration.net

Old Apr 26th 2006, 7:48 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sara05
Hallo to all
First of all Au is small market in that it is controlled by capital cities. Since I am highly qualified civil engineer I am not able to find suitable jobs. Most jobs are in cities. Very big companies may have projects in country side but since our mobility is restrictive they may not be interested. Firther when you say to employer that this is temp. visa they do not contact you again. I have come here six weeks back but did not get a single interview.
It may be OK for those who would work with small local firms.
Agaijn there is no Medicare. How the DIMA expects to find medical facility in remote areas?
When I registered with Tax File No. they considered me for non resident wherein I have to pay more tax. I asked them then they said that You write a letter to tax office saying that this is working visa for three years and should be considered as resident for tax purpose.
Then there is restriction of buing property also.
There after again you have apply for STNI again stick to some state for two years . That means wait for total four years for PR.
Thanks for that. A few interesting issues there. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time of it.

A fair few people on SIR visas are saying that they are not having any problems getting medicare. Where abouts are you? The South Australian SIR allows holders to live and work in Adelaide which would overcome some of the problems you are having gaining employment perhaps. My OH is a senior IT Project Manager and as such is prepared to work contracts of 6 months to a year and so far, we've had no problem attracting interest, the only hinderence we have so far suffered is the lack of visa and we anticipate that OH will relatively easily obtain work once he has a visa and is in Oz.

On the property point, we do not expect to be buying a property until we've been over there for a fair while to make sure we find he right location for us and therefore it's not too much of a concern, however, isn't it true that you can buy a new build home on an SIR? Not to everyone's taste, I know, but if you're desperate to get on the property ladder it's a start.

We have talked long and hard about state sponsorship and the retrictions this places on where we would live. Initially, I wanted to move to Sydney but after looking at Victoria, it is now my 1st preference and we hope they will sponsor us, and we would be more than happy to put down roots there. Likewise, we might also apply to SA if Vic doesn't come through and Adelaide looks like such a beautiful city that if that's where we are sponsored for, we will go for it 100%. I don't think we would be giving ourselves and the City a proper chance of success if we were constantly thinking - "only another 3 years til we can move away etc." We have young children and therefore, we don't want to uproot them again in another few years unless we really have too.

I fully appreciate that some people might accept sponsorship from a particular state with a view of moving on as soon as they obtain PR but it's not for us, we want to settle and in a way, we would want to "repay" the state for giving us a chance by making it work and giving something back.

Gone on way longer than I should have.

I really hope things work out better for you in the future. The SIR visa isn't perfect, but for some it's the only option - good or bad. Best of luck.

Gill

Last edited by herrchook; Apr 26th 2006 at 7:51 am.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:48 pm
World traveller

The best way to look at it is you will have good times and you will have bad
times. On the SIR visa (unfortunately) you will have more bad times that on
any other visa. For the most part the only way you find out how many
problems you will have on this visa is when you get here and try and start
your new life.

Shortly after I received my SIR visa my trade was put on the MODL giving me
enough points to go for full PR. All I had to do was cancel my SIR,
re-apply and pay another $2500 but my wife and I thought we had done our
home work (I'm a very thorough person that way) and thought that we didn't