SIR or STNI, Sponsorship and Nomination

Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Kopite202 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIR or STNI, Sponsorship and Nomination

Hi all,

I've spent the last couple of days reading posts on this very helpful site and studying Booklet 6 etc, and there are a couple of things I'm rather confused about. Maybe one or two of you kind souls can enlighten me....

I've got (subject to ACS assessment) 110 points as an IT Application Analyst, which would suggest I may be eligable for a SIR visa.

My confusion lies in whether to go down the SIR or STNI routes. The SIR relies on Sponsorship from an Australian state, while the STNI relies on Nomination. Can someone explain the difference to me?

Also, the STNI seems like the "easier" route, in that it only requires meeting the Pool mark (70 points as opposed to 110), and yet it gives a permanent visa while the SIR is temporary. Also, once the SIR visa is up one of the routes to then getting PR is going through the STNI. Why would I not just go for the STNI in the first place? The SIR seems like the more demanding visa to get and yet seems like the less attractive option. I'm obviously missing something.

I've read booklet 6 backwards to find the answer to this, but it seems to be eluding me! Thanks for any help you can give...

Rick
Old Oct 14th 2004, 5:09 pm
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

gladiatorjw will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SIR or STNI, Sponsorship and Nomination

I am going STNI which is much better than going the SIR visa but not too sure about sponsorship. STNI is sponsorship by the state and will give you PR.I am sure majority of the people on here would choose STNI so gofor it.

I've spent the last couple of days reading posts on this very helpful site and studying Booklet 6 etc, and there are a couple of things I'm rather confused about. Maybe one or two of you kind souls can enlighten me....

I've got (subject to ACS assessment) 110 points as an IT Application Analyst, which would suggest I may be eligable for a SIR visa.

My confusion lies in whether to go down the SIR or STNI routes. The SIR relies on Sponsorship from an Australian state, while the STNI relies on Nomination. Can someone explain the difference to me?

Also, the STNI seems like the "easier" route, in that it only requires meeting the Pool mark (70 points as opposed to 110), and yet it gives a permanent visa while the SIR is temporary. Also, once the SIR visa is up one of the routes to then getting PR is going through the STNI. Why would I not just go for the STNI in the first place? The SIR seems like the more demanding visa to get and yet seems like the less attractive option. I'm obviously missing something.

I've read booklet 6 backwards to find the answer to this, but it seems to be eluding me! Thanks for any help you can give...

Rick[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 14th 2004, 5:55 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

The difference is, for STNI the states are only willing to sponsor certain occupations that they feel are needed in their state. I believe that currrently Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia are the only states sponsoring for STNI. The website for South Australia is http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm, if you do a search of this site you should be able to find the websites for the other states, which will list the occupations they are willing to sponsor for STNI.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saraliz
The difference is, for STNI the states are only willing to sponsor certain occupations that they feel are needed in their state. I believe that currrently Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia are the only states sponsoring for STNI. The website for South Australia is http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm, if you do a search of this site you should be able to find the websites for the other states, which will list the occupations they are willing to sponsor for STNI.
That's right - STNI is a way better visa than SIR, but it's a lot harder for an offshore applicant to get the STNI sponsorship.

Having said that, South Australia won't even sponsor IT people for SIR unless they have a job offer - and if you have a job offer, you'd be best advised to forget the SIR visa and go directly for PR through the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

You'll need to see what the other states say about SIR. You do need to do some research on what the likely path to a permanent visa will be and whether the state will be prepared to sponsor you for that or not.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 14th 2004 at 10:45 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 9:37 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saraliz
Hi Rick

Saraliz is right you need an occupation on the above states lists if yours is on there then STNI is a better route because you get automatic permanent residency enabling you to apply for citizenship after 2 years.

Kay
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:22 am

df79 will become famous soon enoughdf79 will become famous soon enough
Question Re: SIR or STNI, Sponsorship and Nomination

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's right - STNI is a way better visa than SIR, but it's a lot harder for an offshore applicant to get the STNI sponsorship.

Having said that, South Australia won't even sponsor IT people for SIR unless they have a job offer - and if you have a job offer, you'd be best advised to forget the SIR visa and go directly for PR through the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

You'll need to see what the other states say about SIR. You do need to do some research on what the likely path to a permanent visa will be and whether the state will be prepared to sponsor you for that or not.

Jeremy
Hi

Jeremy

I'm a new member, so please excuse me being a little behind in the terminology. I am a 25 year old graduate looking to emmigrate, could you please tell me the difference between an SIr and an STNI and what they stand for. Is it possible to gain permanent residency without being on the skilled occupations list?

Many Thanks

David
Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:15 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi David

You need to have a good read through of Booklet six, it defines the two visas you asked about and has full information.

I think I'm right in saying you have to be on the SOL list to apply for a visa.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 3:47 pm

df79 will become famous soon enoughdf79 will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: SIR or STNI, Sponsorship and Nomination

Originally Posted by bridiej
Hi David

You need to have a good read through of Booklet six, it defines the two visas you asked about and has full information.

I think I'm right in saying you have to be on the SOL list to apply for a visa.
Hey Bridie

Thanks for getting back in touch so soon. Where can I get a copy of booklet 6?

Cheers

David
Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:36 am
Grateful

yinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by df79
Hey Bridie

Thanks for getting back in touch so soon. Where can I get a copy of booklet 6?

Cheers

David
Hello David,

This is a good start: http://ptlabs.topcities.com/faq0.html
Old Nov 27th 2004, 4:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by df79
Where can I get a copy of booklet 6?

Cheers

David

On the DIMIA website.