Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

SIR, STNI and Independent Skill Migration : Q's for George Lombard and Alan Collette

SIR, STNI and Independent Skill Migration : Q's for George Lombard and Alan Collette

Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

ben8118 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIR, STNI and Independent Skill Migration : Q's for George Lombard and Alan Collette

Hi George, Alan and all,

I have a few questions to ask regarding the above subject.

1) I've got confused between SIR and STNI. What are the difference between SIR and STNI?

2) As for SIR visa, I understand that a person must stay and work in a regional area. What if a person want's the study instead of working? Is he/she eligible ? Or is the SIR visa designed for the purpose of work?

3) I have a relative staying in Australia for around 1.5 years with a PR status. Is he eligible to sponsor me? He's currently staying and working in a suburb.

4) Does work experience plays a major role in the 136 Independent Skill Visa? If someone works for the 12 months for the past 18 months, is he/she eligible for the 136 visa?

5) As for the SIR and STNI, does Western Australia have this scheme? From what I heard, only SA, Tasmania, Queensland and Vic offered this scheme. How about Western Australia?

I hope that you guys can provide some feedback to me.
Thank you.

Best Regards,
Benny
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIR, STNI and Independent Skill Migration : Q's for George Lombard and Alan Colle

It seems to me that answering these questions would cause more confusion rather than less. I suggest you hire an agent to assist you, as you appear to have some fundamental gaps in your understanding of the system.

Jeremy

Originally posted by ben8118
Hi George, Alan and all,

1) I've got confused between SIR and STNI. What are the difference between SIR and STNI?

2) As for SIR visa, I understand that a person must stay and work in a regional area. What if a person want's the study instead of working? Is he/she eligible ? Or is the SIR visa designed for the purpose of work?

3) I have a relative staying in Australia for around 1.5 years with a PR status. Is he eligible to sponsor me? He's currently staying and working in a suburb.

4) Does work experience plays a major role in the 136 Independent Skill Visa? If someone works for the 12 months for the past 18 months, is he/she eligible for the 136 visa?

5) As for the SIR and STNI, does Western Australia have this scheme? From what I heard, only SA, Tasmania, Queensland and Vic offered this scheme. How about Western Australia?

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Benny
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:46 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIR, STNI and Independent Skill Migration : Q's for George Lombard and Alan Collette

As Jeremy says, these are fairly fundamental queries. If you can't research them from this forum and the DIMIA website you should consider engaging an agent to help.

Good luck.

Originally posted by ben8118
Hi George, Alan and all,

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Benny
Old Jul 5th 2004, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

ben8118 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SIR, STNI and Independent Skill Migration : Q's for George Lombard and Alan Collette

Thanks for your reply guys.

My main question is on the work/study part. If i'm not mistaken, the SIR visa is granted for 3 years whereas a person must stay in that regional area and work for at least 2 years.

As for my question, what if a person did not work and he/she study instead. So, is this legal with the SIR visa?