Signwriter/Pre-Press/Graphic Designer

Old May 5th 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Gemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the rough
Default Signwriter/Pre-Press/Graphic Designer

Longwinded post alert LOL
__________________________________________________ _______

ONE: My husband doesn't fall completely under either of the above job descriptions, as he does about half of each of the criteria for all of them!!!

He seems closer to a Graphic designer, but the wording seems confusing as to whether he needs a degree or can have 5 years experience. How would you read the following:

"The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience"

Can he go in, theoretically, on 5 years experience but NO formal qualifications?

TWO: How close do the skills assessors require your skills to match?
Can you be proficient in, say tow-thirds of the list with evidence to match?

Old May 7th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice
Default Re: Signwriter/Pre-Press/Graphic Designer

The thing is these days your OH's occupations are all spokes of the same wheel and the differences are very blurred.

I'm a graphic designer/illustrator but I don't have a degree despite working for around 19 years in design so I'm trying the Graphics/pre-press route.

I have always been under the opinion that to be assessed as a graphic designer you needed a degree or equivalent.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Gemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scottyboy
The thing is these days your OH's occupations are all spokes of the same wheel and the differences are very blurred.

I'm a graphic designer/illustrator but I don't have a degree despite working for around 19 years in design so I'm trying the Graphics/pre-press route.

I have always been under the opinion that to be assessed as a graphic designer you needed a degree or equivalent.
I got an email from VETASSES this morning saying:

I don’t know why The Australian Bureau of Statistics gives that information. I only can confirm that we do not assess work experience at all. We purely assess your qualification.

In order to receive a positive assessment for a 50 point occupation, you will need to hold the equivalent of an AQF Bachelor degree (or higher).
Old May 24th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, as far as i know its a degree only thing for graphic designer...
I have an HND in graphic design but doubt it will be enough.

Currently run my own graphic design and web business (just gone 2 years), so I guess I could apply through the pre-press route with experience EVENTUALLY!!! (we get all our artwork print ready and have been running an in-house printing service so should imagine that would be enough).

That or I have to go and top up my qual to a degree, but for £3000 per year tuition I really don't see much point other than I can apply quicker.

Where abouts are you planning on going?
My husband and I got married on the gold coast in November - it was fantastic. . . rained all day on the wedding lol... rained most of the time we were there! but it was still an amazing place, our daughter (2 and a half years old) still remembers it. Apparently every plane that she sees is going to Australia lol! And she remembers watching the simpsons and the sunrise on the plane - think she enjoyed the flight more than the holiday (typical kids lol).

Jen
Old May 25th 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Coppock
Hi, as far as i know its a degree only thing for graphic designer...
I have an HND in graphic design but doubt it will be enough.

Currently run my own graphic design and web business (just gone 2 years), so I guess I could apply through the pre-press route with experience EVENTUALLY!!! (we get all our artwork print ready and have been running an in-house printing service so should imagine that would be enough).

That or I have to go and top up my qual to a degree, but for £3000 per year tuition I really don't see much point other than I can apply quicker.

Where abouts are you planning on going?
My husband and I got married on the gold coast in November - it was fantastic. . . rained all day on the wedding lol... rained most of the time we were there! but it was still an amazing place, our daughter (2 and a half years old) still remembers it. Apparently every plane that she sees is going to Australia lol! And she remembers watching the simpsons and the sunrise on the plane - think she enjoyed the flight more than the holiday (typical kids lol).

Jen
We're hoping to aim for Perth as my sister and many many friends/family are there. Good luck with your application.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:55 am
Just Joined

fearfactory is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thedesignworks.com.au
Hi everyone.

I know this is probably a bit late but it may be helpful & useful. I moved to Oz on a 457 visa two years ago after I could not get assessed as a signwriter, no where offered the qualification. I am now involved with a private college on the Gold Coast who offer RPL assessments in signage, graphic design and pre-press.
This really was a life saver for me after things went wrong more than once on the 457 visa.

I do hope this helps.
What is the work situation like at the moment for designers. Ive recently applied for a Skilled Independent Visa so not sure when to expect a return on this, but also not sure where i want to go in oz. I have relations in perth and a mate in sydney but i want to go where the work is.

A GD on the skills list gets 50 points whereas Pre-press gets 60. I would apply as a Pre press because as said, they're all the same spokes of the on wheel, plus you dont need to have the degree, just 900 hours college time (certs & dips count), 5 years work experience and the last three years being in full time employment. References If you know GD you should well know about print.