British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Should I call DIMIA??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/should-i-call-dimia-379319/)

toon williams Jun 14th 2006 1:01 am

Re: Should I call DIMIA???

Originally Posted by JanniDK
Hi,

The waiting is unbearable.... not knowing if we are going or not is driving me crazy!! :mad:

I have sent DIMIA an email asking if we have a CO allocated a couple of weeks ago but they have not replied yet (don't think they ever will..). I would like to know if we have a CO we just have not heard of and also if we can expext a visa grant before 1 July.

My question is: have any of you tried to call DIMIA to ask these questions? If yes, how did they react? Were they friendly and informative and what did they tell you?

Also, do you think it could "hurt" our case if we do this?

TIA

Cheers,
Janni

I rang to find out the same information, infact I have rung a couple of times, always been extreamly polite to them and received the same back. All I would say is dont ring them until your 4 months is up as stated in your letter or they probably will get funny, and they wont commit to telling you when you visa will be granted.

All they said to me about a CO was that I would hear within a week!! And sure enough I did!! Exactly the same with regards to getting the visa I emailed our CO and she replied saying we would get our visa within a week and we did!!

Dont think it does affect your case as long as you dont hound them, after all the more emails/calls they have to deal with the longer it takes for them to deal with the paperwork!!

touchingcloth Jun 14th 2006 2:00 am

Hi,

The waiting is unbearable.... not knowing if we are going or not is driving me crazy!! :mad:

Cheers,
Janni

Hi Jaani,

Does this make you feel better? :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...64#post3631864

TC

Dorothy Jun 14th 2006 4:40 am

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi Jaani,

TC

Yeah, but that's Canada. And if they don't even know the difference between "doodly" and "diddly", how are they ever going to make it in the Great White North? They probably don't know what a touque or a double double are either!!!

Think I'll phone tonight (tomorrow over there) and ask about ours, too. Our medicals got sent to Canadian Immigration instead of Oz. Then the people in Ottawa sent them to Adelaide instead of Sydney. If they say our medicals have been looked at then I can assume they are working on our file.

JanniDK Jun 14th 2006 7:11 pm

Your mother is Danish???

:)

[QUOTE=Angela Marie]

Probably - I think my Mum is one of those!
angela

JanniDK Jun 14th 2006 7:14 pm

Thanks, reading your story made me feel good :D

They received our application 1 February, i.e. 4½ months now. We have decided to call them this Monday, 19 June.

I would be thrilled to know we could have a CO within a week!! Or maybe even our visas.... :)

Originally Posted by toon williams
I rang to find out the same information, infact I have rung a couple of times, always been extreamly polite to them and received the same back. All I would say is dont ring them until your 4 months is up as stated in your letter or they probably will get funny, and they wont commit to telling you when you visa will be granted.

All they said to me about a CO was that I would hear within a week!! And sure enough I did!! Exactly the same with regards to getting the visa I emailed our CO and she replied saying we would get our visa within a week and we did!!

Dont think it does affect your case as long as you dont hound them, after all the more emails/calls they have to deal with the longer it takes for them to deal with the paperwork!!

JanniDK Jun 14th 2006 7:19 pm

Hi TC,

Yes, it did... at least a little... although I don't think you can compare migrating to Canada and Oz.

Anyway, how are YOU feeling about playing the waiting game? You always write "relax" and "don't worry, it'll come soon". Are you REALLY that relaxed????

Cheers,
Janni

Hi Jaani,

TC

JanniDK Jun 14th 2006 7:22 pm

Dorothy,

I got your email, thanks. Will respond to that either today or tomorrow, ok?
Have you called them???? What did they say??

We'll call them on Monday. I hope it will give me piece in my mind and not upset me - what if they tell me we are refused :eek: !!

Janni

Originally Posted by dotnron
Yeah, but that's Canada. And if they don't even know the difference between "doodly" and "diddly", how are they ever going to make it in the Great White North? They probably don't know what a touque or a double double are either!!!

Think I'll phone tonight (tomorrow over there) and ask about ours, too. Our medicals got sent to Canadian Immigration instead of Oz. Then the people in Ottawa sent them to Adelaide instead of Sydney. If they say our medicals have been looked at then I can assume they are working on our file.

touchingcloth Jun 14th 2006 8:23 pm

Hi TC,

Yes, it did... at least a little... although I don't think you can compare migrating to Canada and Oz.

Anyway, how are YOU feeling about playing the waiting game? You always write "relax" and "don't worry, it'll come soon". Are you REALLY that relaxed????

Cheers,
Janni

Hi Janni,

As I don't have my police checks back yet...I can afford to relax about not having a CO. I guess once I get the Police checks back,,,..and still no sign of a CO...then I suppose I'll become a serial email checker!!!!!!

Why don't you do other things for prepartion in the meantime?..such as open fx trading account...open oz bank account...etc

TC

JanniDK Jun 14th 2006 8:55 pm

OK... just couldn't understand why you seem so relaxed :)

I AM doing other things - and I am, seriously, not trying to stress but I cannot help it... We are about to put our house on the market (mid July) and we are looking at Adelaide suburbs, schools, job market etc. I will turn 30 next Monday thus being busy arranging my birthday party etc. etc. Lots of things do do :D

Good luck all!

Hi Janni,

As I don't have my police checks back yet...I can afford to relax about not having a CO. I guess once I get the Police checks back,,,..and still no sign of a CO...then I suppose I'll become a serial email checker!!!!!!

Why don't you do other things for prepartion in the meantime?..such as open fx trading account...open oz bank account...etc

TC

steve`o Jun 14th 2006 9:11 pm

Hi,

I have sent DIMIA an email asking if we have a CO allocated a couple of weeks ago but they have not replied yet (don't think they ever will..). I would like to know if we have a CO we just have not heard of and also if we can expext a visa grant before 1 July.

My question is: have any of you tried to call DIMIA to ask these questions? If yes, how did they react? Were they friendly and informative and what did they tell you?

Also, do you think it could "hurt" our case if we do this?

TIA

Cheers,
Janni

just call them

i did and a very helpful person on the other side
told me where our application was up to

no probs

JanniDK Jun 14th 2006 9:17 pm

Thanks, Steve. I'll call them for sure - on Monday :)
Have you got your visa?

Originally Posted by steve`o
just call them

i did and a very helpful person on the other side
told me where our application was up to

no probs

Glenat Jun 14th 2006 9:19 pm

OK... just couldn't understand why you seem so relaxed :)

I AM doing other things - and I am, seriously, not trying to stress but I cannot help it... We are about to put our house on the market (mid July) and we are looking at Adelaide suburbs, schools, job market etc. I will turn 30 next Monday thus being busy arranging my birthday party etc. etc. Lots of things do do :D

Good luck all!

We are in a similar position to you. Our application was acknowledged 18th Jan and we still haven't got a CO. I wasn't gonna call them till 18th June becauase then it has been 5 months. We had our meds done Tuesday hoping we'd get one by then but no luck :(
Keep us updated if you decide to phone :)

JanniDK Jun 14th 2006 9:25 pm

Hi,

What type of visa have you applied for?
I'll keep you updated :)

Good luck

Originally Posted by Glenat
We are in a similar position to you. Our application was acknowledged 18th Jan and we still haven't got a CO. I wasn't gonna call them till 18th June becauase then it has been 5 months. We had our meds done Tuesday hoping we'd get one by then but no luck :(
Keep us updated if you decide to phone :)

steve`o Jun 14th 2006 9:50 pm

Thanks, Steve. I'll call them for sure - on Monday :)
Have you got your visa?

yes 136 skilled

we are off in sept/oct this year

best of luck

steve

JanniDK Jun 14th 2006 10:01 pm

Thanks, Steve :)

And congratulations on your visa :D

Where will you settle?

Originally Posted by steve`o
yes 136 skilled