Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Short on points..what other options do we have?

Short on points..what other options do we have?

Old Apr 24th 2002, 3:00 am
Christine M Chu

Default Short on points..what other options do we have?

We're a family with 2 dependents(20 & 13). I'm 10 points short for skilled category.
We're going to be moving to another state (in US)and thought it would be good timing
to try to get to Australia first, so if it didn't work out we would then move to
that state. Because of the wait times for approvals that I've been reading here I
would be very close to the age cutoff..could kick myself for not having gone
sooner.. I don't know if I should try for PR or maybe apply for citizenship(don't
think this is feasible given the 2 yr. residency requirement). The only other option
I can see is if I return to school to upgrade my university degree and get a student
visa but again I'd be close to age cutoff if I waited to save for tuition, etc. My
oldest is thinking of university there too and maybe I should just accept that I've
blown it by waiting too long and help her get set up in Australia.We've never been
apart so this would be hard but I don't know how else to proceed. I've tried looking
for territory nominations but couldn't find them..have friends in Brisbane but are
open about where to
live. If we should somehow get lucky enough to go as a family..is there also an age
cut for immigration..2 yrs. from now I'd be over the mark.? I didn't see
anything mentioned about it. Was thinking if I can't come up with something
this year..maybe we could just go to Hawaii and proceed from there. Sorry this
is so long, we would like to move there so much I've put in anything that might
help. Kris

Old Apr 25th 2002, 8:30 am
Jaj

Default Re: Short on points..what other options do we have?

You can't be accepted for skilled migration if you apply after your 45th birthday. It
doesn't matter if you turn 45 after application.

You will find it very difficult to get accepted if you are 10 points short, unless
you get a state nomination. Only Victoria and SA are significantly involved in this
at the moment: http://www.migration.vic.gov.au http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au

You need to be on the Skill Matching database to access these state schemes. You can
make an application to go on the Skill Matching database for a cost of A$150
(although you would need another few hundred A$ dollars for a skills assessment), and
the balance would only become payable if a visa nomination was made.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/skl-mat.htm

Skill Matching is still something of a long shot.

You should also be aware that your 20 year old son/daughter won't automatically be
considered a dependent (and hence eligible to migrate as part of your family unit)
unless he/she is in full time education and supported by you.

You need PR if you want to apply for Australian citizenship, the 2 year residency
requirement is additional to the requirement to have PR, not an alternative to it.

Jeremy

>On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:51:57 GMT, "CHRISTINE M CHURCH" <[email protected]> wrote:

>We're a family with 2 dependents(20 & 13). I'm 10 points short for skilled category.
    >We're going to be moving to another state (in US)and thought it would be good timing
    >to try to get to Australia first, so if it didn't work out we would then move to
    >that state. Because of the wait times for approvals that I've been reading here I
    >would be very close to the age cutoff..could kick myself for not having gone
    >sooner.. I don't know if I should try for PR or maybe apply for citizenship(don't
    >think this is feasible given the 2 yr. residency requirement). The only other option
    >I can see is if I return to school to upgrade my university degree and get a student
    >visa but again I'd be close to age cutoff if I waited to save for tuition, etc. My
    >oldest is thinking of university there too and maybe I should just accept that I've
    >blown it by waiting too long and help her get set up in Australia.We've never been
    >apart so this would be hard but I don't know how else to proceed. I've tried looking
    >for territory nominations but couldn't find them..have friends in Brisbane but are
    >open about where to
    >live. If we should somehow get lucky enough to go as a family..is there also an age
    > cut for immigration..2 yrs. from now I'd be over the mark.? I didn't see
    > anything mentioned about it. Was thinking if I can't come up with something
    > this year..maybe we could just go to Hawaii and proceed from there. Sorry this
    > is so long, we would like to move there so much I've put in anything that
    > might help. Kris

Old Apr 25th 2002, 11:30 am
Alan Collett

Correct me if I'm wrong Jeremy, but I believe you don't have to be on the skills
matching database to be sponsored by Victoria or SA under the STNI. You will probably
have to be on the database if you are looking at a RSMS application, but not for a
STNI application.

Alan C www.gomatilda.com

JAJ wrote in message <[email protected]>... You can't be accepted
for skilled migration if you apply after your 45th birthday. It doesn't matter if you
turn 45 after application.

You will find it very difficult to get accepted if you are 10 points short, unless
you get a state nomination. Only Victoria and SA are significantly involved in this
at the moment: http://www.migration.vic.gov.au http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au

You need to be on the Skill Matching database to access these state schemes. You can
make an application to go on the Skill Matching database for a cost of A$150
(although you would need another few hundred A$ dollars for a skills assessment), and
the balance would only become payable if a visa nomination was made.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/skl-mat.htm

Skill Matching is still something of a long shot.

You should also be aware that your 20 year old son/daughter won't automatically be
considered a dependent (and hence eligible to migrate as part of your family unit)
unless he/she is in full time education and supported by you.

You need PR if you want to apply for Australian citizenship, the 2 year residency
requirement is additional to the requirement to have PR, not an alternative to it.

Jeremy

>On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:51:57 GMT, "CHRISTINE M CHURCH" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>We're a family with 2 dependents(20 & 13). I'm 10 points short for skilled
    >category. We're going to be moving to another state (in US)and thought it would be
    >good timing to try to get to Australia first, so if it didn't work out we would
    >then move to that state. Because of the wait times for approvals that I've been
    >reading here I would be very close to the age cutoff..could kick myself for not
    >having gone sooner.. I don't know if I should try for PR or maybe apply for
    >citizenship(don't think this is feasible given the 2 yr. residency requirement).
    >The only other option I
can
    >see is if I return to school to upgrade my university degree and get a student visa
    >but again I'd be close to age cutoff if I waited to save for tuition, etc. My oldest
    >is thinking of university there too and maybe I should just accept that I've blown
    >it by waiting too long and help her get set up in Australia.We've never been apart
    >so this would be hard but I
don't
    >know how else to proceed. I've tried looking for territory nominations but couldn't
    >find them..have friends in Brisbane but are open about where to
    >live. If we should somehow get lucky enough to go as a family..is there
also
    >an age cut for immigration..2 yrs. from now I'd be over the mark.? I didn't see
    >anything mentioned about it. Was thinking if I can't come up with something this
    >year..maybe we could just go to Hawaii and proceed from there. Sorry this is so
    >long, we would like to move there so much I've put in anything that might help. Kris

Old Apr 25th 2002, 12:30 pm
Jaj

I'm not sure if you legally need to be on the skill matching database at all
(although you will be if you've applied for Skill Matching visa) to access
STNI or RSMS.

The SA government webpages suggest that in practice they do use the Skill Matching
database to source people for STNI, although having looked at Victoria it seems they
have their own process.

Still, there's never anything to be lost by going on the database.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:30:46 +1000, "Alan Collett" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Correct me if I'm wrong Jeremy, but I believe you don't have to be on the skills
    >matching database to be sponsored by Victoria or SA under the STNI. You will
    >probably have to be on the database if you are looking at a RSMS application, but
    >not for a STNI application.
    >
    >
    >
    >Alan C www.gomatilda.com

Old Apr 26th 2002, 12:30 am
Kris C.

Thank you Jeremy for the links and the explanation. I hadn't realized that my 20 yr.
old would be considered independent of our family..good point that I needed to know.
Will check into the state nominated information to find out more information. I have
a 4 year business degree, is there a site to find out if my university is on the
"approved" list? I don't know how relevant it will be will for jobs in demand but it
may have a bearing at some point. Thank you again for your advice. Chris

"JAJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > You can't be accepted for skilled migration if you apply after your 45th birthday.
    > It doesn't matter if you turn 45 after application.
    >
    > You will find it very difficult to get accepted if you are 10 points short, unless
    > you get a state nomination. Only Victoria and SA are significantly involved in this
    > at the moment: http://www.migration.vic.gov.au http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au
    >
    > You need to be on the Skill Matching database to access these state schemes. You
    > can make an application to go on the Skill Matching database for a cost of A$150
    > (although you would need another few hundred A$ dollars for a skills assessment),
    > and the balance would only become payable if a visa nomination was made.
    > http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/skl-mat.htm
    >
    > Skill Matching is still something of a long shot.
    >
    > You should also be aware that your 20 year old son/daughter won't automatically be
    > considered a dependent (and hence eligible to migrate as part of your family unit)
    > unless he/she is in full time education and supported by you.
    >
    > You need PR if you want to apply for Australian citizenship, the 2 year residency
    > requirement is additional to the requirement to have PR, not an alternative to it.
    >
    > Jeremy
    >
    > >On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:51:57 GMT, "CHRISTINE M CHURCH"
<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >We're a family with 2 dependents(20 & 13). I'm 10 points short for
skilled
    > >category. We're going to be moving to another state (in US)and thought it would be
    > >good timing to try to get to Australia first, so if it didn't
work
    > >out we would then move to that state. Because of the wait times for approvals that
    > >I've been reading here I would be very close to the age cutoff..could kick myself
    > >for not having gone sooner.. I don't know if I should try for PR or maybe apply
    > >for citizenship(don't think this is feasible given the 2 yr. residency
    > >requirement). The only other option I
can
    > >see is if I return to school to upgrade my university degree and get a student
    > >visa but again I'd be close to age cutoff if I waited to save for tuition, etc. My
    > >oldest is thinking of university there too and maybe I should just accept that
    > >I've blown it by waiting too long and help her
get
    > >set up in Australia.We've never been apart so this would be hard but I
don't
    > >know how else to proceed. I've tried looking for territory nominations
but
    > >couldn't find them..have friends in Brisbane but are open about where to
    > >live. If we should somehow get lucky enough to go as a family..is there
also
    > >an age cut for immigration..2 yrs. from now I'd be over the mark.? I
didn't
    > >see anything mentioned about it. Was thinking if I can't come up with something
    > >this year..maybe we could just go to Hawaii and proceed from there. Sorry this is
    > >so long, we would like to move there so much I've
put
    > >in anything that might help. Kris
    > >