Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

On shore vs off shore applications, pros and cons

On shore vs off shore applications, pros and cons

Old Aug 10th 2004, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

linnie2003 is on a distinguished road
Default On shore vs off shore applications, pros and cons

Hi all
Just wondering, are there any advantages or disadvantages of applying for visas in Australia rather than in the UK? eg, People have told me onshore applications take longer?

I am hoping to apply for my defacto spouse visa later this year - currently in Australia on holiday but I will return to the UK before christmas. Cheers
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:55 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On shore vs off shore applications, pros and cons

In the case of a spouse visa I would usually recommend an application via the Australian High Commission in London, as a front end loaded application (ie one submitted with the results of your medical and the police report/s) usually takes some two to three weeks to be processed to a visa decision.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by linnie2003
Hi all
Just wondering, are there any advantages or disadvantages of applying for visas in Australia rather than in the UK? eg, People have told me onshore applications take longer?

I am hoping to apply for my defacto spouse visa later this year - currently in Australia on holiday but I will return to the UK before christmas. Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

rita is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by linnie2003
Hi all

Hi, I had the same question and to be honest I don't think many people know!!! I am now in Australia with my boyfriend and hoping to send off my spouse(defacto) visa next week. We didn't want to spend any longer apart, we had already done 5 months last year and we aren't very good at it! Anyway, just like to say that I got my aussie police check back in a week!! Also had xrays wednesday and medical friday and was given it at the end of my appointment on the friday. I hear they aren't a huge fan of people being on visitors visa and then applying for residency as this isn't the true purpose of a 'tourist visa' but my boyfriend rang immo before I camoe out here and they said it didn't matter. Also said (sad fact though it is) that as I am from the UK it should be easy???? Direct from the office of immigration. I am worried that it has so far been a bit too easy???

Good luck with whatever you decide.
'Rita

In addition to the above just double checked with immigration hotline and they said if you come out on a tourist visa and your cicumstances change then its ok to apply for a defacto visa as things do change. So i guess if you have no preplanned aplication etc and just start doing it when you get here then that seems ok?? Thats what she said anyway!!

Last edited by rita; Aug 16th 2004 at 4:38 am.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 10:21 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by rita
Hi, I had the same question and to be honest I don't think many people know!!! I am now in Australia with my boyfriend and hoping to send off my spouse(defacto) visa next week. We didn't want to spend any longer apart, we had already done 5 months last year and we aren't very good at it! Anyway, just like to say that I got my aussie police check back in a week!! Also had xrays wednesday and medical friday and was given it at the end of my appointment on the friday. I hear they aren't a huge fan of people being on visitors visa and then applying for residency as this isn't the true purpose of a 'tourist visa' but my boyfriend rang immo before I camoe out here and they said it didn't matter. Also said (sad fact though it is) that as I am from the UK it should be easy???? Direct from the office of immigration. I am worried that it has so far been a bit too easy???

Good luck with whatever you decdie.
'Rita
I believe that if the sponsored person is from the UK it is easier than some other countries. For example UK applicants are 'normally' not requested an AoS.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:46 pm
Meryl

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 05:34:10 +0000, rita
<member25545@british_expats.com> wrote:

>> Hi all
    >> Just wondering, are there any advantages or disadvantages of applying
    >> for visas in Australia rather than in the UK? eg, People have told me
    >> onshore applications take longer?
    >> I am hoping to apply for my defacto spouse visa later this year -
    >> currently in Australia on holiday but I will return to the UK before
    >> christmas. Cheers
    >Hi, I had the same question and to be honest I don't think many people
    >know!!! I am now in Australia with my boyfriend and hoping to send off
    >my spouse(defacto) visa next week. We didn't want to spend any longer
    >apart, we had already done 5 months last year and we aren't very good at
    >it! Anyway, just like to say that I got my aussie police check back in a
    >week!! Also had xrays wednesday and medical friday and was given it at
    >the end of my appointment on the friday. I hear they aren't a huge fan
    >of people being on visitors visa and then applying for residency as this
    >isn't the true purpose of a 'tourist visa' but my boyfriend rang immo
    >before I camoe out here and they said it didn't matter. Also said (sad
    >fact though it is) that as I am from the UK it should be easy???? Direct
    >from the office of immigration. I am worried that it has so far been a
    >bit too easy???
    >Good luck with whatever you decdie.
    >'Rita

This is interesting Rita,
We find separation very difficult and have applied for a prospective
spouse visa. We were horrified to read info on George's site which
shows just how long the processing time is via Washington. It never
occurred to me that this current, we thought last separation, could be
so long.
I have noticed the % of Brits posting here and that their similar
applications seem to proceed more smoothly.
Meanwhile my partner has sold his house, car, furniture but may face a
long wait.
We are looking at how we can cope in this time and I am wondering if
it would have been better if I had moved to the US, immigration wise.
Meryl