Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Secondary Applicant English Language Ability (merged threads)

Secondary Applicant English Language Ability (merged threads)

Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:36 am
Just Joined

charanjeetoberoi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secondary Applicant English Language Ability (merged threads)

Hi!

I am an accountant from New Delhi, India. I got my positive skill assessment from CPA in Nov'09 & have also given my IELTS GT exam to get PR in Australia. My result will come out on 17th March'11 & I am expecting more than 7 in each component. I will file my application for visa 175 as soon as I get my result.

My wife is the secondary applicant & she did her IELTS GT exam in Nov'09 i.e. 16 months ago.

Can her IELTS TRF still be used to show that she has functional english?

Her score was

Listening: 5.5

Reading: 5.5

Writing: 5.5

Speaking: 7

My wife is a B Com (Pass) graduate and she did it from a regular college in New Delhi, India.

She studied all her subjects in English for 3 years when she was in college. Her degree & marksheets are in English but it is no where mentioned on her degree or marksheets that she completed her studies in English.

Please let me know that what evidence I can use to show her functional english?

With Regards
Charanjeet Singh Oberoi
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

funonrun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English Requirement for secondary applicant?

The current IELTS score of your wife is enough to show functional english, DIAC requires minimum of 4 for secondary applicant. Provided its valid at the time of launching the application. Generally IELTS score are considered to be valid for 2 years from the date of giving the exam.

Best of Luck Mate !!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:15 am

adeel.zafar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by funonrun
The current IELTS score of your wife is enough to show functional english, DIAC requires minimum of 4 for secondary applicant. Provided its valid at the time of launching the application. Generally IELTS score are considered to be valid for 2 years from the date of giving the exam.

Best of Luck Mate !!
Its 4.5 to be exact but there is 12 months requirement... have a look here.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ish-family.htm
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your quick response but DIAC website says that secondary applicant's IELTS score shouldn't be more than 1 year old at the time of filing the visa but generally IELTS scores are valid for 2 years.

I am pasting it from the website below:

DIAC website www.immi.gov.au says that

To avoid payment of the second instalment visa application charge, you must provide evidence that any secondary applicants 18 years or over included in the application have at least functional English.

This evidence should be provided when requested by the case officer and before the visa is granted.

Level of English Evidence required Functional
You must provide one of the following:

your IELTS TRF Number to show you have a band score of at least four and a half (4.5) based on all four components.
Important: If you are using an IELTS test to show functional English, it must be from a test sat no more than 12 months before making your application.
evidence that you have a degree, diploma or trade qualification requiring at least two years of full time study or training with all instruction conducted in English
evidence that you have completed at least one year of full time study in Australia towards a degree or diploma qualification with all instruction conducted in English
evidence that you have completed one of the following at an educational institution where all instruction was conducted in English:
your primary education and at least three years of secondary education, or
at least five years of secondary education
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by adeel.zafar
Its 4.5 to be exact but there is 12 months requirement... have a look here.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ish-family.htm
I think I can't use her IELTS score anymore as they are more than 12 months old. Can I use her b com (pass) college degree or marksheets as a proof to show that she studied in english? but it is no where mentioned on her degree that she studied in english. I think I need to get that in writing from her college. Will that work as I dont want her to do IELTS again?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:51 am

adeel.zafar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charanjeetoberoi
I think I can't use her IELTS score anymore as they are more than 12 months old. Can I use her b com (pass) college degree or marksheets as a proof to show that she studied in english? but it is no where mentioned on her degree that she studied in english. I think I need to get that in writing from her college. Will that work as I dont want her to do IELTS again?
Yes, search through this forum. People have used this to provide evidence of secondary applicant English abilities...
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:13 am
Just Joined

aaryman81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spouse ielts 3575 $ in place of exam for 176

Hi guys,

As my process of subclass 176 skilled state sponsored visa almost completed as shown online only thing is left is my wife ielts can't give so in that case I have to pay 3575 $ to Aus government, my family medical also done & also pcc submitted. Is this process is goint on a right way. Also how much time left for my visa to come
Old Aug 20th 2011, 2:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spouse ielts 3575 $ in place of exam for 176

Originally Posted by aaryman81
Hi guys,

As my process of subclass 176 skilled state sponsored visa almost completed as shown online only thing is left is my wife ielts can't give so in that case I have to pay 3575 $ to Aus government, my family medical also done & also pcc submitted. Is this process is goint on a right way. Also how much time left for my visa to come
No-one can tell you how long it will take to get the visa granted. Every application is individual and is granted in its own time.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

wrohaim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wife's IELTS submitting time frame

Hello All,

Is it possible to lodge my 176 application without my wife's IELTS result and then submit it later before a decision is being made in my visa application ?

Thanks.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Majelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wife's IELTS submitting time frame

Originally Posted by wrohaim
Hello All,

Is it possible to lodge my 176 application without my wife's IELTS result and then submit it later before a decision is being made in my visa application ?

Thanks.
yes you can do that, there is a place on the form where you need to indicate the exam date of your wife
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:19 am
Shafaqat Ali

shafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wife's IELTS submitting time frame

even if u have not registered for your wife IELTS exam you can leave that field blank and provide IELTS result anytime but before grant.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

irffan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can provide spouse's IELTS result later?

Hi guys,

I am going to apply for my visa subclass 175. My wife will be sitting in IELTS in the 3rd week of Oct, 2011. I do not want to waste my time. Is it a good idea to submit my application now and provide the wife's IELTS later? Will that be acceptable by DIAC?

I would appreciate if someone could tell whether DIAC gives an opportunity to provide spouse IELTS score in the end or they only ask for the 2nd installment just because IELTS score sheet was not provided at the time of submitting the application.

Many thanks.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can provide spouse's IELTS result later?

It can be sent later.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

irffan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can provide spouse's IELTS result later?

Thanks Bermudashorts.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 6:47 pm
r11
Forum Regular

r11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the IELTS required for a secondary Applicant?

Quick question:

I am the primary applicant and I have already taken the IELTS to get extra points.

My husband will be the secondary applicant. He has not taken the IELTS, but he holds a US passport?

Is he still required to take the IELTS to avoid the second installment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.