RRV requirements

Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

friend2allin is on a distinguished road
Default RRV requirements

Can anyone point this out for me, please. After you get your visa and you do the first entry to the country - how long can one be out of the country without the chances of losing the PR?

I know it is a different question not related to this thread and do apologise for hijacking this thread for a different question altogether.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

lyse will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 5 points for Investment Bond withdrawn Sept 07?? (PART TWO)

As far as I know the PR visa does not expire BUT you have to settle in the country within five years of the visa being granted or you will forfeit the visa. I know people in South Africa who validated their visa's as required but then came back to SA for several years before rushing over to settle in Australia just before the five year time frame was up. We had a building boom here and they wanted to try and earn as much as they could in their profession in the industry before making the move. Hope that helps
Once in Aus when you want to travel out of the country you need to get a resident's return visa (to get back in) which I understand is more of a formality and not very expensive. The solution is to apply for citizenship as soon as you can and travel on an Ozzie passport.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:02 am
Just Joined

NIGELINOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lyse
As far as I know the PR visa does not expire BUT you have to settle in the country within five years of the visa being granted or you will forfeit the visa. I know people in South Africa who validated their visa's as required but then came back to SA for several years before rushing over to settle in Australia just before the five year time frame was up. We had a building boom here and they wanted to try and earn as much as they could in their profession in the industry before making the move. Hope that helps
Once in Aus when you want to travel out of the country you need to get a resident's return visa (to get back in) which I understand is more of a formality and not very expensive. The solution is to apply for citizenship as soon as you can and travel on an Ozzie passport.
The process of applying for a Resident Return Visa is pretty straightforward as long as you have spent a total of two out of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident.
You can apply online at http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/
and the cost at the moment is $240.00
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Elton John is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: 5 points for Investment Bond withdrawn Sept 07?? (PART TWO)

Originally Posted by friend2allin
Can anyone point this out for me, please. After you get your visa and you do the first entry to the country - how long can one be out of the country without the chances of losing the PR?

I know it is a different question not related to this thread and do apologise for hijacking this thread for a different question altogether.
The PR is valid for five years. You need to reside in Australia for a cumulative period of 24 months while you hold that visa. It can be either continous or non continous.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Elton John is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: 5 points for Investment Bond withdrawn Sept 07?? (PART TWO)

Originally Posted by friend2allin

More info on the above topic can be found on DIC website as below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/resi...ligibility.htm

As a permanent resident you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely. This visa also allows you to travel to and enter Australia for five (5) years from the date the visa is granted. The expiry of this visa does not affect your permanent resident status if you are in Australia. However, if you wish to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident after the initial visa has expired, you must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Your eligibility for an RRV will depend on the period that you have resided in Australia.

To be eligible for a five (5) year Resident Return visa you must be one of the following:

- You must have spent two (2) of the last five (5) years in Australia as a permanent resident.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:36 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

No, a permanent residency visa allows the visaholder to reside in Australia indefinitely.

It is only if one wants to travel and return to Australia more than 5 years after visa grant that one has to consider the need for a new visa (assuming you have not secured Australian citizenship by then).

See details regarding the subclass 155 visa:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/

Best regards.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elton John
To be eligible for a five (5) year Resident Return visa you must be one of the following:

- You must have spent two (2) of the last five (5) years in Australia as a permanent resident.

"one of the following" => there are other ways you have not mentioned.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

friend2allin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RRV requirements

Thanks for all your replies..