Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

RRV Expired, Left Oz for family crisis.... Now What?

RRV Expired, Left Oz for family crisis.... Now What?

Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:47 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default RRV Expired, Left Oz for family crisis.... Now What?

Hi All

Anyone help with this problem.

Sister-in-law had to leave Oz on Saturday for a family crisis in the UK
Before she left she applied for a RRV as the original had expired.

Today I received and email stating the following......

Dear Ms ######

Thank you for lodging an application for a Resident Return Visa via the Internet.

Our records indicate that you have departed Australia prior to the grant of the visa. As your application was lodged while you were in Australia, we are unable to grant the visa until you return. While you remain outside Australia, the following options are available to you with respect to this application:

1. You may withdraw the application by advising us in writing
2. You may inform us in writing when you intend returning to Australia and we may consider keeping the application open until such time
3. If we do not receive any instructions from you concerning the above mentioned options, your application may be refused

Please note that the travel component of your current RRV expired on: 27/06/2011

If you do not provide us with any further information within 7 days from the date of this email, we may make a decision based on the information available to us at this time.

Please note that as your Resident Return Visa was not granted prior to your departure from Australia, you may experience some delays upon your departure and return.

---------------------------------------------------
Does the last paragraph mean she can return to Oz "though may experience a delay at the departure airport", because her RRV had expired, does that not mean she has no right to return?
I would hate for her to get to the airport and be refused.

Thanks for you help.
Cheers.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV Expired, Left Oz for family crisis.... Now What?

I would suggest for her to get in contact with the High Commission in London and sort out the RRV from there.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:17 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

I think you highlighted the wrong part Since it was lodged on-shore, they can only grant it while she is on-shore. And she has no visa to get back in because the previous one has expired, so there is no way that this application can proceed to grant - so they say to either withdraw it, or they refuse it.

The "delays" here is probably an euphemism for "no chance in hell" but this is only a guess.

It looks like she will need to file a new one off-shore.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with above. Looks like she needs to withdraw this application and lodge another.

There was someone quite recently who travelled without organising the rrv, he managed to get back in but had some penalty relating to applying for citizenship down the line. I wouldn't want the hassle at the airport and would try to sort it first.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely - she has to go to the Australian High Commission in London and apply for a new RRV.

I would not withdraw the existing RRV application until the High Commission grant an RRV - in case they only grant the 3 month RRV (subclass 157), the existing RRV application will remain open and can be decided when she is back in Australia. If they grant a 5 year RRV (subclass 155) then the existing application will be withdrawn.

No way to avoid paying the RRV application fee again.

And don't even think about returning on some kind of tourist status, as someone else has mentioned it will usually put back citizenship eligibility even if an RRV is sorted out and often the consequences will be much worse.

Too late for this case, but it again underlines the importance of having relevant passports and RRVs up to date all the time.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 17th 2012 at 2:19 am.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

treefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nice

hi when I went back to London last year I actually discovered my visa had expired a few months before. After days of worrying & panic I downloaded the RRV visa forms filled them in then went to the Aussie High commission in Bush house. They did it for me there & then & were very helpful.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treefingers
hi when I went back to London last year I actually discovered my visa had expired a few months before. After days of worrying & panic I downloaded the RRV visa forms filled them in then went to the Aussie High commission in Bush house. They did it for me there & then & were very helpful.
Awesome news!

(Feb 2006 and no karma! Fixed for ya.)
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:11 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: RRV Expired, Left Oz for family crisis.... Now What?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Absolutely - she has to go to the Australian High Commission in London and apply for a new RRV.

And don't even think about returning on some kind of tourist status, as someone else has mentioned it will usually put back citizenship eligibility even if an RRV is sorted out and often the consequences will be much worse.

Too late for this case, but it again underlines the importance of having relevant passports and RRVs up to date all the time.
Thanks everyone for input, spot on JAJ, off to the high comission in London to get a new RRV. They have said she might be able to claim the fees back when she returns.

Interestingly, if she opted for an ETA it would cancel her PR, but she could re apply when she returns, that's a bit of a gamble I felt.

She was waiting for her son to qualify for citizenship and was going to apply as a family.... you are very correct, pays to have all the visas current, just in case.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Thanks everyone for input, spot on JAJ, off to the high comission in London to get a new RRV. They have said she might be able to claim the fees back when she returns.

Interestingly, if she opted for an ETA it would cancel her PR, but she could re apply when she returns, that's a bit of a gamble I felt.

She was waiting for her son to qualify for citizenship and was going to apply as a family.... you are very correct, pays to have all the visas current, just in case.

Thanks again.
Good luck!