RRV application for family members

Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Bruce2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RRV application for family members

My permanent visa was due to expire in July 2010. In order to have more flexibility on planning ahead, I decided to apply for RRV in July 2009 although I did not fulfill the 2 out of 5 years rule. I managed to obtain my RRV (expire in July 2014) due to ties to Australia - my daughter is studying in Australia and I have a property there. My dependents (wife and my children) PR visas are also expiring in July 2010. I want to apply for my dependents’ RRV but unsure of what is the best time to do so.

Is it true that since I (head of family) have got the RRV, my dependants RRV applications will be awarded?

Is there a time limit (before current expiry date – July 2010) in which my dependents have to apply for their RRV?

If they apply now (August), their 5-year RRV will expire in August 2014. But if they apply in June 2010, will the immigration department give a 5 year RRV from that date (i.e. expiry date in June 2015)?

Many thanks to anyone who can advice and help!!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV application for family members

Originally Posted by Bruce2009
My permanent visa was due to expire in July 2010. In order to have more flexibility on planning ahead, I decided to apply for RRV in July 2009 although I did not fulfill the 2 out of 5 years rule. I managed to obtain my RRV (expire in July 2014) due to ties to Australia - my daughter is studying in Australia and I have a property there. My dependents (wife and my children) PR visas are also expiring in July 2010. I want to apply for my dependents’ RRV
They have to apply themselves. You can't apply for them, unless they are under 18.

but unsure of what is the best time to do so.

Is it true that since I (head of family) have got the RRV, my dependants RRV applications will be awarded?
Yes - as long as they are part of your family unit.

Is there a time limit (before current expiry date – July 2010) in which my dependents have to apply for their RRV?
No, as far as I am aware. But why delay? - rules may change.

If they apply now (August), their 5-year RRV will expire in August 2014. But if they apply in June 2010, will the immigration department give a 5 year RRV from that date (i.e. expiry date in June 2015)?
If they get an RRV based on you, as opposed to their own merits - June 2014.

Otherwise 5 years.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV application for family members

This is the official DIAC guidance - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf. As you can see on page 2 it says

"you may be eligible for an RRV because you are the partner (spouse or de facto), dependent child/relative of a person who has been, or will be, granted an RRV (whether you apply at the same time or later than the family member)"

and "If you are granted an RRV on the basis of being the family unit member of an RRV holder, your visa will have the same validity as that of the family head."