RPL, italian 'laurea'...

Old Jan 11th 2002, 10:51 am
abate

Hi everybody, I would like to move in AU and I have to many doubts...

First of all I'm uncertain about the type of visa I have to ask.

I'm looking for a work in the IT&T area, but of course, nobody seams to want me or
even ask me for an interview without some kind of working visa. To obtain a temporary
working visa I need a nomination and I cann't use a holiday working visa because for
some strange reasons it is not avalaible as an option for italian citizens.

So I had a look to obtain a visa for business skilled persons. Since starting a RPL
costs 400 AUD I want to understand exactly if it could be the best choice for me.
Does anybody has some advices ?

I have an Italian 'laurea' in Computer Science that is a 5 years course (48 units of
40 hours each one) and as I have understood it is compared with a Master Degree in
CS. Does anybody could confirm it ?

As last question, if I choice to start the RPL and subsequently to ask for a business
visa, is there any chances to start working with some kind of bridging visa in the
mean time ?

thank you, pietro

ps: I hate to use goolgle... does anybody know a free news (read and post) server
that holds this newsgroup ?

Old Jan 12th 2002, 12:38 pm
Xyz

Ok, put it this way... you can't go to Australia unless you have a VISA, which is
going to cost you a big bunch of bucks starting from the application... but wait,
even if you pay all the fees and have all the points you need, they can tell you "Oh
we're very sorry, you can't come because your independent migration/skilled
application has been refused, so **** OFF!". And don't ask me why you can't apply for
working holiday... Everything is complicated in Australia, you can't even buy a
freaking house if you're a foreigner... Even farts scare the OZ government, that's
it. Tell you what my friend? I can't understand why we treat OZ people so well; we
should close our frontiers as they do... "Oh you are Australian? GET THE **** OUT OF
MY COUNTRY NOW!"

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 1:14 pm
Iny

Pietro,

It sounds like you should qualify under the standard procedure for ACS (see quote
below from the ACS guidelines). A copy of your degree and transcript should do the
trick. It wouldn't hurt to include employer references, especially if you're applying
for MODL. As far as the business/bridging visa is concerned I think you can apply for
an employer sponsored work visa if you can find a job (which I personally think is
very difficult to do if you're sitting in another country) or take your chances, go
as a tourist, look for a job, get a work visa (you'd probably have to leave Australia
to get that stamped on your passport) and then wait for your permanent residency.
Personally I'd be patient and wait for the permanent residency. It seems IT
applications tend to go fairly quickly most of the time (3-4 months, by some
estimates) so it might save you a lot of unnecessary paperwork juggling. It doesn't
sound like you'd have any problem with getting a PR visa.

---

3 SKILL LEVEL REQUIRED FOR VISA PURPOSES

3.1 Suitable

GROUP A

3.1.3 Applicants with

an Australian Bachelor degree, or Graduate Diploma, or higher qualification,
with a major in information technology (see examples below); or

an overseas qualification assessed as being comparable to an Australian
Bachelor degree, or Graduate Diploma, or higher qualification, with a major
in information technology (see examples below).

Examples of relevant field include

(Note: Courses should contain at least a major in information technology, and a major
objective should be to educate persons to be practitioners in information
technology.)

----