Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Resumption of Australian Citizenship! Hooray!

Resumption of Australian Citizenship! Hooray!

Old Jan 25th 2003, 1:20 pm
Ev'n'John

Default Resumption of Australian Citizenship! Hooray!

Well - we were woken at the crack of dawn this morning to sign for a Registered Letter from Australia House in London.

Amazingly, it contained a certificate of Australian Citizenship. I only sent off my application for resumption of citizenship just before Christmas, and were advised there was a 4-6 month processing period. However, it looks like Canberra did it in less than 2 weeks (while the bush fires raged as well - very impressive!)

Anyway, that's just the first step. I'm off to download the Spouse Visa booklet from the DIMIA website and get ready for another bout of form-filling!

Many thanks to Jeremy/JAJ for all his advice last year. As it's Australia Day tomorrow, I think we'll be cracking a couple of bottles of Jacobs Creek tonight!

Regards,
Evelyn.

Old Jan 25th 2003, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Resumption of Australian Citizenship! Hooray!

Congratulations, and I see that you are trying to escape Epsom, same as us!
Old Jan 25th 2003, 11:45 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

As did we - I had an accountancy practice in Epsom High Street and lived in Tadworth!

Best regards.

Originally posted by Grotbags
Congratulations, and I see that you are trying to escape Epsom, same as us!
Old Jan 26th 2003, 8:15 pm
Ev'n'John

Originally posted by Alan Collett
As did we - I had an accountancy practice in Epsom High Street and lived in Tadworth!

Best regards.
Well - it's a small world!
We live in Ewell, just outside Epsom. How long ago did you move to Australia? Epsom town centre has been substantially re-developed recently, so you probably wouldn't recognise it now!

Grotbags - we also know another family in Ewell hoping to move to Australia later in the year on a Business Visa. Maybe we should all form an "escape party"?! When are you hoping to leave and what visa are you applying for?

Regards,
Evelyn.

Old Jan 26th 2003, 11:33 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

We moved in April 2001, and I sold my interest in the CA practice in June 2000 - I owned the property at the head of the High Street with Skinners Reproduction Furniture - and Steve Skinner also lives in Ewell. When we moved the new development of flats and shops on the old car park behind Boots was just about finished, and as I'll be back in Surrey for the Migrate 2003 expo in Esher I dare say I'll have cause to wander down Epsom High Street again for old times sake!

I could tell you more stories about people who know people we know in Tadworth engaging Go Matilda completely coincidentally, but that's another story!

Good luck and best regards.

Originally posted by Ev'n'John
Well - it's a small world!
We live in Ewell, just outside Epsom. How long ago did you move to Australia? Epsom town centre has been substantially re-developed recently, so you probably wouldn't recognise it now!

Grotbags - we also know another family in Ewell hoping to move to Australia later in the year on a Business Visa. Maybe we should all form an "escape party"?! When are you hoping to leave and what visa are you applying for?

Regards,
Evelyn.
Old Jan 27th 2003, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

I wonder who that could be Alan??

Just wanted to say thanks for the link to this website - we've found it really helpful. We have had to keep our move pretty quiet apart from telling a few close friends and family so it has eased the frustration and provided us with some valuable information. No wonder there were no books on Australia in Epsom Library last time I went in - looks like we're all escaping. We booked the tickets last week - leaving Aug 17th via USA for a month. Very excited!!!

Alan - we have a grudge tennis match with some of your old neighbours lined up for easter time. Is tennis your game? It was our road versus your road and we lost so we are after revenge before we go.

Anyway, thanks for your help again and hello to all the Epsom, Ewell and Tadworthites. Probably see you at the Emigrate show.

Julie
Old Jan 27th 2003, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ev'n'John

We actually live in Nork (nr Epsom Downs), and we applied Aug 2001 skilled independant and just done medicals. Hoping to get out to Brissie by April, depending on the sale of the house all going through OK.

This website, and the people such as Alan who contribute, has been a godsend to us for info and to stop us going slowly mad during the wait!

So, Alan, do you miss good old Epsom at alll!!! Can't believe so many people from the area are escaping (and not just to OZ!) - it's not that bad here, is it.....!!
Old Jan 27th 2003, 9:35 pm
Ev'n'John

Look's like we're leaving the area in droves - and I've always thought of Epsom as being a fairly pleasant place to live!
See you all at the Emigrate Show!