Requirement for RRV and Citizenship

Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:33 am
Just Joined

calviny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused?? Requirement for RRV and Citizenship

Dear all,

This question has been hanging over with my family for sometimes but we are unable to find a definite answer. I hope anyone of you come across this situation can give me a hand, really appreciate for your help.

The "2 year stays <WITHIN> the first 5 years" requirement is actaully for appling RRV? or also for Citizenship?

If I am intend to get the citizenship eventually, can I just go back to australia by the END of the Fifth year ( which is the end of my PR visa) and subsequently stay for another 2 yrs. By this, i know it does not fullfill the requirement to apply the RRV, but does this fullfill the requirement to apply the citizenship?

Thanks.

Calvin

Last edited by calviny; Apr 25th 2005 at 5:47 am.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Confused?? Requirement for RRV and Citizenship

Originally Posted by calviny
Dear all,

This question has been hanging over with my family for sometimes but we are unable to find a definite answer. I hope anyone of you come across this situation can give me a hand, really appreciate for your help.

The "2 year stays <WITHIN> the first 5 years" requirement is actaully for appling RRV? or also for Citizenship?

If I am intend to get the citizenship eventually, can I just go back to australia by the END of the Fifth year ( which is the end of my PR visa) and subsequently stay for another 2 yrs. By this, i know it does not fullfill the requirement to apply the RRV, but does this fullfill the requirement to apply the citizenship?

Thanks.

Calvin
Your question is a little confusing.
However a PR visa has an inbuilt residents return visa for five years from the date of the first entry. After that period if you want to leave Australia and return you must apply for an RRV. However if you apply for Citizenship (after 2 years residence) then an RRV is not required, you can come and go as often as you like.
I would suggest that all permanent residents should apply for citizenship at the earliest opportunity....and why wouldn't you?

See the FAQ section on this forum for a full explanation of RRV.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:36 am
Just Joined

calviny is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry about the confusion of my question.
Bacically, i understand the basic requirement to apply citizenship is staying in australia for 2 years ( i am not going into the details of this)
but what I consufse is:

For example if my PR granted on 2000.Jan 1st, so the PR have a 5 yrs valid period which expire on 2004 Dec 31st.
In order to apply citizenship,

(A) Must I fullfill the citizenship requirement (stay in aust for 2 years) before 2004 Dec 31st?
OR
(B) I can wait until before the PR visa expired, for example 2004 Dec 1st, then start to stay in aust for 2 yrs and then I apply for the citizenship in Dec 2006?

note: I got my PR onshore,and i left aust and work outside australia at the moment and that's why i have such concern. I hope the (B) above is correct, otherwise I will have problem to fullfill the requirement.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by calviny
sorry about the confusion of my question.
Bacically, i understand the basic requirement to apply citizenship is staying in australia for 2 years ( i am not going into the details of this)
but what I consufse is:

For example if my PR granted on 2000.Jan 1st, so the PR have a 5 yrs valid period which expire on 2004 Dec 31st.
In order to apply citizenship,

(A) Must I fullfill the citizenship requirement (stay in aust for 2 years) before 2004 Dec 31st?
OR
(B) I can wait until before the PR visa expired, for example 2004 Dec 1st, then start to stay in aust for 2 yrs and then I apply for the citizenship in Dec 2006?

note: I got my PR onshore,and i left aust and work outside australia at the moment and that's why i have such concern. I hope the (B) above is correct, otherwise I will have problem to fullfill the requirement.
From what I've seen posted by Jeremy on various threads, the simple answer is that you can do what you propose in "B", but the risk you run is that if you need to leave Australia for any reason during the 2 year waiting period you may have trouble getting a RRV to be able to come back. I don't know the details of this, but the typical recommendation given by the agents here is that you enter Australia permanently within 3 years of the start of your PR so that you can get your 2 years residency in prior to the PR visa expiring. This will allow you to apply for citizenship before the end of the PR visa and avoid the need for an RRV. If you have to leave Oz for some reason after your PR has ended and can't get a RRV you will be giving up your PR status.

Cheers,
Brian