Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Renewing a passport with the visa sticker in it

Renewing a passport with the visa sticker in it

Old Jul 30th 2005, 4:08 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Renewing a passport with the visa sticker in it

What happens when you renew a passport that has a visa sticker in it, as the old passport is cancelled and has the corner cut off etc.. do you have to re-submit the new passport to the AHC to get a new visa sticker put in it. I suppose this is only the case until you are lucky enough to aquire citizenship.

I know you can make sure you renew before you get the visa, it's just my daughters passport is up July '06 and I think you can only renew say... 9 months before it expires and that 9 months gets added onto her new 5 year passport, must check!

Do you know what, I think I've answered my own question, more wine please!!! Shocking, it's only just past 5PM, Oh well, glug glug......

Last edited by rossifumi; Jul 30th 2005 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 5:27 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a passport with the visa sticker in it

Originally Posted by rossifumi
What happens when you renew a passport that has a visa sticker in it, as the old passport is cancelled and has the corner cut off etc.. do you have to re-submit the new passport to the AHC to get a new visa sticker put in it. I suppose this is only the case until you are lucky enough to aquire citizenship.

I know you can make sure you renew before you get the visa, it's just my daughters passport is up July '06 and I think you can only renew say... 9 months before it expires and that 9 months gets added onto her new 5 year passport, must check!

Do you know what, I think I've answered my own question, more wine please!!! Shocking, it's only just past 5PM, Oh well, glug glug......
Found this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316468
and spotted this:

“If you can have the visa issued into the current passport then apply for
the new one, you can travel carrying the 2 passports - one your current
passport and the old passport with the current visa in.

You have to be onshore in Australia to have your re-visa evidenced into
your new passport.

The other option is to get your new passport now, then one you have it
we will require a certified copy of the new passport and complete a
change in circumstances form to update the DIMIA of your new passport
information.�

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 30th 2005, 5:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a passport with the visa sticker in it

Originally Posted by rossifumi

You can renew a British passport anytime provided you are happy to pay the application fee. If the Passport Office ask why, just explain the reason.

Usually they will return an old passport with visa intact, but then you will risk a delay every time you try to travel to Australia if the check-in staff get confused and want to get a pre-board clearance directly from DIMIA in Australia,

The AHC London will not usually re-stamp a visa in a new passport.

Jeremy