Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Regional Visa 475 and Job Ops outside of Perth

Regional Visa 475 and Job Ops outside of Perth

Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

chrissyclements is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Regional Visa 475 and Job Ops outside of Perth

Hi All,

My partner Tim and I started the application process around June time last year. We originally applied for a 175 visa but were later told by our agency that Tim's job was no longer on the demand list and that we should apply for a 475. They said that this was a good visa and we would have no problems with gaining perm residency after 2 years.

This application is now underway and we expect to be allocated an officer in the next 4 months or so (according to current processing times).

Anyhoo, since this change means that we are not eligible to live or work in Perth I have been looking at jobs in the Peel region. As a senior test analyst I am kinda scared to see that there is not one testing opportunity outside of Perth and, with previous IT Helpdesk experience, a bit more worried that there is only 1 position being advertised on seek.com.au.

Has anyone on the forum experienced issues working outside of Perth? Can anyone offer me some advice?

Has anyone successfully gained perm residency on the back of a 475 or have our agency given us a raw deal?

Any help/advice or work would be much appreciated.

I have forwarded my resume to several agencies but no positive feedback as yet. See below.

ps sorry for the massive post

a very worried Chrissy

1. Unfortunately we don't get many requirements for test analysts to be based in regional centres such as Mandurah or Margaret River. I will keep an eye out however and if anything comes to light I will be in contact with you.

2. Thank you for your email enquiring about Job Futures and our services.

Job Futures operates through its member organisations from over 160 locations nationally. It is Australia's only national network of community based and not-for-profit organisations which provide employment, training and related services.

Job Futures does not directly deliver all services it holds under contract; rather it subcontracts its member organisations to deliver the services under Job Futures guidance. Thus Job Futures does not directly employ the staff who deliver these services to the jobseeker.

For all employment opportunities, I suggest that you contact the relevant Job Futures member in the location at which you are seeking employment. The details of our members who deliver services throughout Australia, can be found at:

http://www.jobfutures.com.au/sites;search

3. Thank you for your recent enquiry to Talent International in relation to employment opportunities. We have received your CV and are currently evaluating it against our list of requirements and job specifications.

Should your experience appear appropriate for any of these positions, we will be in touch to discuss your application. If you do not hear from us during the next two weeks, it is likely that we have been unsuccessful in aligning your skill set and experience to the immediate needs of our clients. In this event, we would like to retain your details on file for further discussion specific to future positions that appear suited to your skills and personal requirements.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regional Visa 475 and Job Ops outside of Perth

Originally Posted by chrissyclements
Hi All,

My partner Tim and I started the application process around June time last year. We originally applied for a 175 visa but were later told by our agency that Tim's job was no longer on the demand list and that we should apply for a 475. They said that this was a good visa and we would have no problems with gaining perm residency after 2 years.

This application is now underway and we expect to be allocated an officer in the next 4 months or so (according to current processing times).

Anyhoo, since this change means that we are not eligible to live or work in Perth I have been looking at jobs in the Peel region. As a senior test analyst I am kinda scared to see that there is not one testing opportunity outside of Perth and, with previous IT Helpdesk experience, a bit more worried that there is only 1 position being advertised on seek.com.au.

Has anyone on the forum experienced issues working outside of Perth? Can anyone offer me some advice?

Has anyone successfully gained perm residency on the back of a 475 or have our agency given us a raw deal?

Any help/advice or work would be much appreciated.

I have forwarded my resume to several agencies but no positive feedback as yet. See below.

ps sorry for the massive post

a very worried Chrissy

1. Unfortunately we don't get many requirements for test analysts to be based in regional centres such as Mandurah or Margaret River. I will keep an eye out however and if anything comes to light I will be in contact with you.

2. Thank you for your email enquiring about Job Futures and our services.

Job Futures operates through its member organisations from over 160 locations nationally. It is Australia's only national network of community based and not-for-profit organisations which provide employment, training and related services.

Job Futures does not directly deliver all services it holds under contract; rather it subcontracts its member organisations to deliver the services under Job Futures guidance. Thus Job Futures does not directly employ the staff who deliver these services to the jobseeker.

For all employment opportunities, I suggest that you contact the relevant Job Futures member in the location at which you are seeking employment. The details of our members who deliver services throughout Australia, can be found at:

http://www.jobfutures.com.au/sites;search

3. Thank you for your recent enquiry to Talent International in relation to employment opportunities. We have received your CV and are currently evaluating it against our list of requirements and job specifications.

Should your experience appear appropriate for any of these positions, we will be in touch to discuss your application. If you do not hear from us during the next two weeks, it is likely that we have been unsuccessful in aligning your skill set and experience to the immediate needs of our clients. In this event, we would like to retain your details on file for further discussion specific to future positions that appear suited to your skills and personal requirements.

My nephew has recently joined us here on skilled migrant and is in IT with many years running hep desks. He has found nothing outside Perth. What does your partner do? They may be a better option?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

He works with pressure gauges; calibrating, refurbishing etc. We have looked into this and all of the engineering companies are also based in Perth where we are not allowed to work.

I am beginning to wonder if our migration agents have stiched us up just to get their astronomical fee
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:52 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

He works with pressure gauges; calibrating, refurbishing etc. We have looked into this and all of the engineering companies are also based in Perth where we are not allowed to work.

I am beginning to wonder if our migration agents have stiched us up just to get their astronomical fee
If he has those skills I'd suspect he could get work. Engineering/instruments is HUGE in WA and we have a labour shortage. Might mean the mines but not necessarily. Is WA only option - at least for 2 years?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Hi Chrissy

Only 1/4 of jobs are ever advertised, you're best to make direct approach to employers in particular with your partner's occupation.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EvannTel
If he has those skills I'd suspect he could get work. Engineering/instruments is HUGE in WA and we have a labour shortage. Might mean the mines but not necessarily. Is WA only option - at least for 2 years?
I have heard that you maybe able to change states if you are unsuccessful in seeking work. If we were to look at the NT or VIC we would be allowed to work in the city regardless of the regional visa name as they don't get that many applicants.

I'm really peeved as when we applyed last June, we were s'posed to be going in on a 175 which would allow us to live and work anywhere but then in Sept, apparently Tim's occupation was removed from the in demand list and as our application was not fully submitted, we were no longer able to take that route. The agents said that the 475 was a good route for us and as we had been to WA previously and I had obtained IT work easily, I assumed we would be fine.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jamie Smith
Hi Chrissy

Only 1/4 of jobs are ever advertised, you're best to make direct approach to employers in particular with your partner's occupation.
Hi Jamie,

I was hoping this to be the case! I have contacted IBM directly and I may post my CV to a few others now. Thats the most positive advice I have had in days
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

Hi Jamie,

I was hoping this to be the case! I have contacted IBM directly and I may post my CV to a few others now. Thats the most positive advice I have had in days
Its certainly good and accurate advice BUT (not wanting to dampen your new newfound hope) there is little or no IT outside Perth. Users and support people yes but not of yout calibre (that I know of).

Although I am WA for years, I think Melbourne is great - lacks the climate but much more cosmopolitan than Perth - dont rule it out.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Its certainly good and accurate advice BUT (not wanting to dampen your new newfound hope) there is little or no IT outside Perth. Users and support people yes but not of yout calibre (that I know of).

Although I am WA for years, I think Melbourne is great - lacks the climate but much more cosmopolitan than Perth - dont rule it out.
Other than mining work, what job ops can we expect to find between Mandurah and the Margaret River?

We have set our hearts on WA after an amazing holiday in 2004/2005. We have seen most of the south coast as we drove from Perth to Kalgoorlie, to Esperance and back up the coast stopping at pretty much every town on route. We both really like WA and weren't that taken with Sydney. I guess further north to Melbourne could be an option but we never made it that far. Unchartered territory for us.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

Other than mining work, what job ops can we expect to find between Mandurah and the Margaret River?

We have set our hearts on WA after an amazing holiday in 2004/2005. We have seen most of the south coast as we drove from Perth to Kalgoorlie, to Esperance and back up the coast stopping at pretty much every town on route. We both really like WA and weren't that taken with Sydney. I guess further north to Melbourne could be an option but we never made it that far. Unchartered territory for us.
Further north to Melbourne? Women and maps eh? Only joking. I much prefer Melbourne to Sydney but hey thats me!

Anyway best bet is probably where we are - Bunbury. There are several mining/mineral processing plants within travelling distance. And a couple of power stations.
Perth is 2 hours drive away, MR about 90 mins so a good spot.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Further north to Melbourne? Women and maps eh? Only joking. I much prefer Melbourne to Sydney but hey thats me!

Anyway best bet is probably where we are - Bunbury. There are several mining/mineral processing plants within travelling distance. And a couple of power stations.
Perth is 2 hours drive away, MR about 90 mins so a good spot.
Just looked at a map and realised that I was talking of Brisbane! Better not think of sitting any citizenship exams anytime soon lol