Redundancy on 457. My experience so far.

Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:54 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redundancy on 457. My experience so far.

Originally Posted by paddyo
For some reason they have asterisked out my word, just to avoid confusion it was a jovial variation of a popular profanity!!!! Meant in jest!!
We have asterisk police
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As far as I know the company should pay the cost of getting home, but I don't think DIAC can enforce it.
If you are planning on coming back to Australia at any point you might want to rethink your departure date. Becoming an illegal overstayer isn't a good idea and could affect your ability to come back here - especially if you actually get deported.
Well it seems you were right and the 'employer obligations' are apparently just guidelines that don't really need to be followed, unlike the employee ones that could lead to visa cancellation if not followed. What is the point in them? This is the email I received back from business monitoring.

Thanks for your enquiry.
The sponsor does not necessarily have to pay for your return travel cost.
However if the immigration department have to detain and remove you, the
sponsor will be liable to repay the debt to the commonwealth.

So, how do I get home now. Someone mentioned small claims court using the obligations page as evidence and DIAC told me to threaten the company that I will overstay in the hope they will pay up.

This wasn't really meant to be a help thread but now it sort of is. Sorry.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
Well it seems you were right and the 'employer obligations' are apparently just guidelines that don't really need to be followed, unlike the employee ones that could lead to visa cancellation if not followed. What is the point in them? This is the email I received back from business monitoring.

Thanks for your enquiry.
The sponsor does not necessarily have to pay for your return travel cost.
However if the immigration department have to detain and remove you, the
sponsor will be liable to repay the debt to the commonwealth.

So, how do I get home now. Someone mentioned small claims court using the obligations page as evidence and DIAC told me to threaten the company that I will overstay in the hope they will pay up.

This wasn't really meant to be a help thread but now it sort of is. Sorry.
Interesting because the DIAC website says:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/faq-subclass-457.htm

I heard my employer has to pay for my ticket back to my country. Is that true? How about my partner and children?

Your employer is responsible for ensuring that the cost of return travel to your home country for you (and accompanying family member/s) is met. Existing contractual arrangements between you and your employer may indicate whether you or your employer agreed to meeting these costs.

If this matter is not specified in your employment contract and your employer has not agreed to pay your travel costs from Australia, you should contact the department on 131 881 and ask to speak with the Business Monitoring Unit.

What about paying for my possessions to be moved?

This would depend on the contractual arrangements between you and your employer. The migration legislation does not require that employers pay for the shipping of personal possessions.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

It just gets better and better.

Without me realising the company kept back $1200 of my redundancy money. Anyhow i've now noticed and they have said they are holding it in case immigration make them pay for my flight home.

This is turning into a comedy sketch only it isn't funny anymore. What they've done is illegal i'm sure.

I've decided to put in every complaint possible now to DIAC and the fair work ombusdman. They might regret all the times they called me a pommie $%^& soon.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:48 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Without me realising the company kept back $1200 of my redundancy money. Anyhow i've now noticed and they have said they are holding it in case immigration make them pay for my flight home.

This is turning into a comedy sketch only it isn't funny anymore. What they've done is illegal i'm sure.

I've decided to put in every complaint possible now to DIAC and the fair work ombusdman. They might regret all the times they called me a pommie $%^& soon.
Go on my son!!!!! Go for the jugular!!!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:49 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Why not 'discuss' this with the press???? Any light being shed on their unethical activities would soon bring them to accountability!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:49 am

GSNR will become famous soon enoughGSNR will become famous soon enough

Aww, what a terrible situation, I hope you get it sorted soon! I agree, go to the press, they brought you here, so they should pay to get you back home!
Best of luck!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Just an update on an email I received from business monitoring on friday. It reads:-

In response to your email, the department will contact your sponsor and
advise that any monies due to you are
not withheld and paid immediately.
In reference to repatriation costs, as previously advised the sponsorship
undertaking is to ensure that the cost
of return travel is met, however as you departed and returned to Australia
after you received notification of being
made redundant the department does not require the return travel costs to
be met by your sponsor.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:06 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Just an update on an email I received from business monitoring on friday. It reads:-

In response to your email, the department will contact your sponsor and
advise that any monies due to you are
not withheld and paid immediately.
In reference to repatriation costs, as previously advised the sponsorship
undertaking is to ensure that the cost
of return travel is met, however as you departed and returned to Australia
after you received notification of being
made redundant the department does not require the return travel costs to
be met by your sponsor.
Good news on the redundancy withholding but not so good news on the flight costs, which, going by that response sounds valid.
As an option, bearing in mind your company seem so unaware of the regulations, may I suggest you send them a copy of your response from Business Monitoring.....however......if you accidently 'cut' the last sentence out they may actually cough up all monies owing and pay your flight costs!! I know what I have suggested is not fair game old chap and may be unethical but hey, they have not played fair either!!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Good suggestion but better play by the rules. Spoke to a different department in DIAC and they said business monitoring don't know what they are talking about. As long as my visa is valid they are responsible for costs. ?????????????????????????????????????
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:28 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Good suggestion but better play by the rules. Spoke to a different department in DIAC and they said business monitoring don't know what they are talking about. As long as my visa is valid they are responsible for costs. ?????????????????????????????????????
lol...well Martin, as you may have gathered by now, each time you speak to anybody within the same department you will get a different answer!! Just ensure you have a reference which you can refer to and that is not open to interpretation. You seem pretty calm about it and are going about it in a logical manner. Good luck!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:33 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus Martin any more bloody whinging and I will pay yer fare
Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:37 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Jesus Martin any more bloody whinging and I will pay yer fare