Quick Question

Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

delama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick Question

Hi All,

I hope this something with an easy answer!! We want to go to Oz, Melbourne actually, but are 5 points short on the points test. Is the only other option to either have a job already (employer sponsored) or go on a 457(which we don't really want to do)?
If our only option is the 457, can we apply for PR straight away, and will this be processed straight away, or we have to wait the 2 years?
Also, does anyone know if we would have to pay fees for our daughter's primary school in Melbourne if we were on a 457? I know this is the case in NSW.
Sorry, it turned out to be a longer post than I thought!!
Thanks,
M
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Question

Originally Posted by delama
Hi All,

I hope this something with an easy answer!! We want to go to Oz, Melbourne actually, but are 5 points short on the points test. Is the only other option to either have a job already (employer sponsored) or go on a 457(which we don't really want to do)?
If our only option is the 457, can we apply for PR straight away, and will this be processed straight away, or we have to wait the 2 years?
Also, does anyone know if we would have to pay fees for our daughter's primary school in Melbourne if we were on a 457? I know this is the case in NSW.
Thanks,
M
Hi,

I think you can pick up an extra 5 or 10 (not sure?) points by investing $100,000 into a bond in Australia. You have to invest it for 2 years, but it's earning interest, so you could think of it as a savings account I know it's a lot of money to tie up, but you'd have the benefit of going on a PR visa. And yes on a 457 you do have to pay for schooling, which I believe is quite hefty!!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:57 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Could you get the 5 extra points for either spouse skills or for investing $100,000 ?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Hi All,

Thanks,
M
As above posters re extra 5 points.
Regarding the 457, you will need a job offer/sponsor for that. Yes you can apply for a PR visa straight away, but obviously you will still be 5 points short for the 136, so it will depend on your employer if they are willing to sponsor for a different class of visa. Usually the main reason for using a 457 in this case would be if the employer wants (or you want!) to be in Aus quicker. ( it is generally believed that processing a 457 is quicker, but this is not always the case)
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

457 is employer sponsored too. If you find an employer, they can usually sponsor for migration instead of 457 if they want. You don't have to "have a job already" and a qualifying job offer will do if you meet the permanent visa requirements.

Download and read migration booklet 5.

Also - is state nomination from Victoria an option? http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

No obligation to wait 2 years if your employer is willing to sponsor and you meet the requirements for permanent residence immediately. Download/read booklet 5 ...

Bear in mind that having a 457 is no guarantee of permanent residence (PR). Many 457 holders are refused PR for one reason or another.

But why do you think a 457 is necessary in the firsy place? Many people start on employer nominated migration visas from Day One.

As far as I know VIC does not levy school fees in this situation but that could change anytime. Check the Victoria State Government Education Department website.