Questions Regarding Employer Sponsorship

Old Mar 11th 2002, 10:35 pm
Jill

Default Questions Regarding Employer Sponsorship

Hello,

Can anyone help me???

Is there a length of employment requirement with the employer that sponsors a PR?

Is there any other requirements by me to the employer for sponsorship?

Does anyone know what would happen if the company that sponsored me happen to go out
of business and/or I lose my job? Would I have to find another company to sponsor me
or be deported?

Also, the PR application awards points for Australian work experience, is working
during application processing frowned upon when applying for PR while there on a
visitor visa?

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks/Cheers, Jill

Old Mar 11th 2002, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions Regarding Employer Sponsorship

Hi,

As far as I know you have to stick with your sponsors for a min. of 2 years. That's the reason I went for skilled independent. Applying while working here is no problem. You will have to leave the country for 5 days (I think) if/when you get your PR visa.

Good Luck.
Old Mar 12th 2002, 9:31 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Jill,

I am currently going through sponsorship, and asked my agency the exact same question regarding losing my Visa. This is what they said :

"Our sponsoring company is called Pendragon Management and
they provide all kinds of tax benefits to you. For more info look at
www.pendragon.net.au
If they go bust or lose their visa status you keep your visa."

Now I don't know exactly how it works, but I have seen information out there somewhere that says if you lose your Sponsor, you have 28 days to get another or get out.

With regards the length of time you are obliged to stay with the Sponsoring company, I need to check that. It says 4 years on my contract...
Old Mar 12th 2002, 10:06 pm
Jaj

>On 11 Mar 2002 14:50:11 -0800, [email protected] (Jill) wrote:

>Hello,
    >
    >Can anyone help me???
    >
    >Is there a length of employment requirement with the employer that sponsors a PR?

If you mean Employer Nomination, the job should be intended to last at least 3 years
with the prospect of renewal. But once you have your visa you can leave if you wish.

An employer might write a clause into your contract penalising you for doing this,
but that would be between you and him (and Australian employment law), nothing to do
with DIMIA.

If you get an employer sponsored visa under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme
it's a bit different - the visa can be cancelled under certain circumstances within 2
years if you don't join or stay with your sponsoring employer.

>
    >Is there any other requirements by me to the employer for sponsorship?

Not sure what you mean.

>
    >Does anyone know what would happen if the company that sponsored me happen to go out
    >of business and/or I lose my job? Would I have to find another company to sponsor me
    >or be deported?

If you're on a PR visa you keep it and go work somewhere else in Australia.

If you're on a temporary visa (eg subclass 457) you would have to find a different
employer to sponsor you or go home.

>
    >Also, the PR application awards points for Australian work experience, is working
    >during application processing frowned upon when applying for PR while there on a
    >visitor visa?

You may be confusing Skilled Independent with Employer Nominated PR. The two are
different. There's no points test for Employer Nominated, but you do need to be
sponsored by an employer and different requirements to skilled independent need
to be met.

Working on a visitor visa in Australia most certainly is frowned upon (that's an
understatement, actually ... ) But most people who apply for onshore Employer
Nominated PR already have a temporary visa allowing them to work for their employer.

Jeremy

Old Mar 13th 2002, 7:37 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the answer my agency (Eagle) gave me regarding length of contract. Pendragon is a management company for contractors :

"The reason 4 yrs is on the contract is purely for Immigration
purposes so they give you a 4yr visa. You are not tied to us for that time. You are not tied to Eagle at all. You are free to leave Pendragon at any time but of course need to find another sponsor to do so as we will revoke your visa once you leave our employ. you are given 28 days to do this."

So I can find jobs through any agency, but to keep the sponsorship for my Visa I would need to stay with the management company, Pendragon. Of course, if my application for PR is successful, I can leave Pendragon any time should I want to...