Question regarding WH-visa form

Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:52 am
Just Joined

jon-thomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question regarding WH-visa form

Hello!

I have been approved a WHV a couple of months ago, but im starting to get a little bit paranoid that problems might occur.

A few days ago I heard from a friend that he had to do a chest x-ray due to being outside England for more then 3 months. I remember myself that I really didn't know how to answer that question (about having visited or lived outside GB for more then 3 months), but I ended up answering 'No'.

The reason I didn't know what to answer is this.

At the beginning of 2013 I went travelling in South-east Asia for 3 months. Kuala Lumpur was the start and end-point of the trip. I also had a connecting flight in Beijing both on the way to KL and on the way home. But I never left the airport in Beijing, I never went through customs and I never had a visa. I was always in the airside area of the airport. In my opinion I never visited China.

* If I count from when I arrived to and left from Kuala Lumpur, I have been away for 1 day less than 3 months.

* If I count from when I left GB and got back to GB, I have been away for 1 day more than 3 months.

* If I count from when I arrived at Beijing and left from Beijing (for my connecting flight), I have been away for a couple of hours more than 3 months.

So question is, what counts as "visited outside GB"?

Is it when I left GB in air on the plane?
Is it when I went through customs and left the airside area in Kuala Lumpur?
Or is it when I landed in and left from Beijing (for my connecting flight)?

And is there any risk that I will be rejected entry to Australia?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:19 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding WH-visa form

Originally Posted by jon-thomp
Hello!

I have been approved a WHV a couple of months ago, but im starting to get a little bit paranoid that problems might occur.

A few days ago I heard from a friend that he had to do a chest x-ray due to being outside England for more then 3 months. I remember myself that I really didn't know how to answer that question (about having visited or lived outside GB for more then 3 months), but I ended up answering 'No'.

The reason I didn't know what to answer is this.

At the beginning of 2013 I went travelling in South-east Asia for 3 months. Kuala Lumpur was the start and end-point of the trip. I also had a connecting flight in Beijing both on the way to KL and on the way home. But I never left the airport in Beijing, I never went through customs and I never had a visa. I was always in the airside area of the airport. In my opinion I never visited China.

* If I count from when I arrived to and left from Kuala Lumpur, I have been away for 1 day less than 3 months.

* If I count from when I left GB and got back to GB, I have been away for 1 day more than 3 months.

* If I count from when I arrived at Beijing and left from Beijing (for my connecting flight), I have been away for a couple of hours more than 3 months.

So question is, what counts as "visited outside GB"?

Is it when I left GB in air on the plane?
Is it when I went through customs and left the airside area in Kuala Lumpur?
Or is it when I landed in and left from Beijing (for my connecting flight)?

And is there any risk that I will be rejected entry to Australia?
Welcome to the forum.

You left the UK as soon as you went through immigration at the UK airport - not when you landed at KL. Heck, if that was the case (that it was when you landed at KL), then the UK's airspace has increased considerably!

Not everyone is asked to do a chest x-ray. I received a grant for a 651 tourist visa recently (which is valid for a year, but maximum stays of three months each time), and I've been out of the UK for about a year and a half. Granted, a year of that was in Australia, but the last six months have been around SE Asia.

I honestly wouldn't be too worried about it.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:48 am
Just Joined

jon-thomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

What the question in the application form says though is if I have "visited or lived outside UK". So my question is about the definition of 'visited'.

And I have already applied and been granted the visa. I'm leaving in less than a month, tickets booked. What I'm afraid of is that they will reject my entrance to Australia because of my answer on this question. You think I should stop worrying though, even if I've already answered 'No' to the question in the form. I've no idea how strict they are... Just to clarify my question

I really hope I can stop worrying about this "matter".

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:55 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon-thomp
Thanks for the reply.

What the question in the application form says though is if I have "visited or lived outside UK". So my question is about the definition of 'visited'.

And I have already applied and been granted the visa. I'm leaving in less than a month, tickets booked. What I'm afraid of is that they will reject my entrance to Australia because of my answer on this question. You think I should stop worrying though, even if I've already answered 'No' to the question in the form. I've no idea how strict they are... Just to clarify my question

I really hope I can stop worrying about this "matter".

Thanks
Personally I would have answered yes. There's little point quibbling over a few hours. To all intents & purposes, you were out of the UK for three months, so you should have said that on the form. I'm not sure what you can do about it now though, as you don't have a CO anymore. The immigration officers can always stop people from entering, but I would think it's unlikely you'll have any problems. Obviously I can't guarantee that, but it's just my opinion.