Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Skilled - Australian Sponsored (138) and Skilled - Designated Area

Question regarding Skilled - Australian Sponsored (138) and Skilled - Designated Area

Old Aug 12th 2004, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

ben8118 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question regarding Skilled - Australian Sponsored (138) and Skilled - Designated Area

Hi

I have a question to ask regarding the above matter. I have an uncle who's staying in Perth around 1.5yrs and is currently a PR holder.

I've gone through the information regarding both subclass 138 and 139. For subclass Designated Area Sponsored 139, it says that:-
----
Relatives eligible to sponsor this category of visa are a parent, a non-dependent child, a grandparent, a brother or sister, an uncle/aunt, or first cousin of the main applicant.
----

As for Skilled - Australian Sponsored (138), it says that :-
----
Relatives eligible to sponsor this category of visa are a parent, a non-dependent child, or a brother or sister of the main applicant.
----

For 138, it didnt mention uncle/aunt. Does that mean my uncle is not eligible to sponsor me under subclass 138?

Please do advice. Thank you.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:24 am
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Question regarding Skilled - Australian Sponsored (138) and Skilled - Designated Area

Originally Posted by ben8118
Hi

I have a question to ask regarding the above matter. I have an uncle who's staying in Perth around 1.5yrs and is currently a PR holder.

I've gone through the information regarding both subclass 138 and 139. For subclass Designated Area Sponsored 139, it says that:-
----
Relatives eligible to sponsor this category of visa are a parent, a non-dependent child, a grandparent, a brother or sister, an uncle/aunt, or first cousin of the main applicant.
----

----
Relatives eligible to sponsor this category of visa are a parent, a non-dependent child, or a brother or sister of the main applicant.
----

For 138, it didnt mention uncle/aunt. Does that mean my uncle is not eligible to sponsor me under subclass 138?

Unsure about 139, I'm currently awaiting grant letter for 138. My aunt sponsored me. As far as I am aware though the person sponsoring you has to be an Australian citizen. Have you checked booklet 6, downloadable from DIMIA website.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Question regarding Skilled - Australian Sponsored (138) and Skilled - Designated Area

Hi marie,

Thank you for your reply. So, is your aunt an australian PR or citizenship?
May I know which part of Australia ?

Hope to hear from you ASAP. Thank you.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:39 am
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi marie,

Thank you for your reply. So, is your aunt an australian PR or citizenship?
May I know which part of Australia ?

Hope to hear from you ASAP. Thank you.
She's now a citizen
Old Aug 12th 2004, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point

Your sponsor can either be an Australian citizen or have PR, it doesn't matter which

Alastair
Old Aug 12th 2004, 7:55 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Hi

----
----

----
----

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct, but for someone to sponsor you, they have to be a PR for 2 years. Can't advise on whether a relative (Uncle) can do that. Maybe seek advice from an agent or have a look on the DIMIA website.
Good Luck!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 11:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding Skilled - Australian Sponsored (138) and Skilled - Designated

Originally Posted by claire edwards
I'm not sure if this is 100% correct, but for someone to sponsor you, they have to be a PR for 2 years. Can't advise on whether a relative (Uncle) can do that. Maybe seek advice from an agent or have a look on the DIMIA website.
Good Luck!
Not correct for skilled sponsored. PRs can sponsor provided they are usually resident and can demonstrate ability to fulfil sponsorship undertakings. It is true (settlement requirement) for many other visas like parent.

This issue obviously confuses people like anything (many less experienced agents get confused about it too).

However, if someone has only been in Australia 1.5 years they most likely will not be able to provide an Assurance of Support - someone else eligible and willing will need to do so.

Jeremy
Old Aug 16th 2004, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi Alan Collette/George,

Regarding the below question, can anyone confirm whether uncle/aunt is not eligible to sponsor someone under subclass 138? Advice needed. Thank you.

----------------

----
----

----
----

Old Aug 16th 2004, 6:57 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should have a read here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/sponsor.htm

I think you'll find an uncle can act as a sponsor for a 138-visa ... :-))

As Jeremy has said though, don't overlook the requirements placed on an Assurer (mandatory for a 138-application) in terms of the need for income that is assessable in Australia for two (emphasis - TWO) years, as evidenced by Tax Assessment Notices.

Best regards.

Hi Alan Collette/George,

Regarding the below question, can anyone confirm whether uncle/aunt is not eligible to sponsor someone under subclass 138? Advice needed. Thank you.

----------------

----
----

----
----

Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Regarding the question on Assurer,
I have a friend staying in Melbourne for 20 years and is a PR holder. Can he/she be my assurer?

My uncle has been staying in WA for around 1.5 years. Is he eligible since he did not exceed the 2 years limit staying in australia?

Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:26 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Answers below ...

If you are still confused it is probably time to consider paying for some professional advice.

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Regarding the question on Assurer,
I have a friend staying in Melbourne for 20 years and is a PR holder. Can he/she be my assurer?

=> Probably. Depends on his/her assessable income ...

My uncle has been staying in WA for around 1.5 years. Is he eligible since he did not exceed the 2 years limit staying in australia?

=> Do you understand the requirement as to the assurer's assessable income? Your uncle may have income that has an Australian source that was assessable in Australia before he became tax resident, but that wouldn't be customary.

Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

HI Alan,

I'm in the process of applying for Skilled Australia Sponsored subclass 138 visa. I have a few question to ask.

1) Since my sponsor is my uncle, do I need to enclose my dad's birth certificate to proof the relationship between him and my dad? What other documents are needed from the sponsor besides his/her birth cert?

2) As for the AoS part, do I need to apply now ? Or will DIMIA automatically contact my assurer once they have assess my application form?

Advice needed. Thank you
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:52 am
Migration Agent

Ben,

Can I refer you to my last answer ... our fee paying clients wouldn't thank me for giving detailed advice for free ... hope you understand ...

Best regards.

HI Alan,

I'm in the process of applying for Skilled Australia Sponsored subclass 138 visa. I have a few question to ask.

1) Since my sponsor is my uncle, do I need to enclose my dad's birth certificate to proof the relationship between him and my dad? What other documents are needed from the sponsor besides his/her birth cert?

2) As for the AoS part, do I need to apply now ? Or will DIMIA automatically contact my assurer once they have assess my application form?

Advice needed. Thank you
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Okay. Thank you for your reply. Just a small quote

"Human Knowledge Belongs to the World"
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:38 am
Migration Agent

Sadly not when I am running a business and I have a family to feed ... :-))

Best regards.

Okay. Thank you for your reply. Just a small quote

"Human Knowledge Belongs to the World"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.