Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Question about carpenters practical assessment !!!!Help please xx

Wikiposts

Question about carpenters practical assessment !!!!Help please xx

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:38 am
Just Joined

mazza28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about carpenters practical assessment !!!!Help please xx

Hi,

I did my carpentry practical in july. The assessors make you you feel quite relaxed and they understand everyone is feeling a little nervous. Firstly it is a 1 day assessment which consists of practical tasks and technical interviews. We were asked to make a saw stool,sharpen a chisel,rip and plane some timber construct a hip and gable roof (scaled down on 2400 x 1200 sheet of ply) and mark out a stud pattern. They took us out of the classroom at different points of the day to answer some questions. You will be fine.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Hi, sorry to gatecrash your thread, but... does anyone know what bricklaying models are being built in the bricklayers assessment. And what questions are they asking you in the interview.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Steve.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

charlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nice

Originally Posted by mazza28
Hi,

I did my carpentry practical in july. The assessors make you you feel quite relaxed and they understand everyone is feeling a little nervous. Firstly it is a 1 day assessment which consists of practical tasks and technical interviews. We were asked to make a saw stool,sharpen a chisel,rip and plane some timber construct a hip and gable roof (scaled down on 2400 x 1200 sheet of ply) and mark out a stud pattern. They took us out of the classroom at different points of the day to answer some questions. You will be fine.
hi there
can you give us an example or 2 of the questions they asked.
many thanks
charlie rara
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Hi Charlie rara,

The assessors are not wanting to catch you out or anything they are just trying to determine that you are a carpenter and not just trying to blag it. They asked me things like what an explosive power tool was and how I would store the cartridges, basic health and safety questions, whats a piece of skirting, how would I perform a particular task e.g prepare a run of rafters to take fascia etc etc. The questions are nothing to worry about. They want you to pass, if they see you struggling they almost guide you to the answer. Just keep smiling and nodding!!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

charlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nice

Hi Charlie rara,

The assessors are not wanting to catch you out or anything they are just trying to determine that you are a carpenter and not just trying to blag it. They asked me things like what an explosive power tool was and how I would store the cartridges, basic health and safety questions, whats a piece of skirting, how would I perform a particular task e.g prepare a run of rafters to take fascia etc etc. The questions are nothing to worry about. They want you to pass, if they see you struggling they almost guide you to the answer. Just keep smiling and nodding!!
nice 1 cheers.
its getting to that squeaky bum time with this test and really not looking forward to it at all (as many on here i can imagine)
do you know , if we fail , what the procedure is ie; do you have to pay the fees again , how long to wait for retest, and do you have to do hole test again or only on what you fail on???
many thanks charlie rara
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by charlie rara
nice 1 cheers.
its getting to that squeaky bum time with this test and really not looking forward to it at all (as many on here i can imagine)
do you know , if we fail , what the procedure is ie; do you have to pay the fees again , how long to wait for retest, and do you have to do hole test again or only on what you fail on???
many thanks charlie rara
Not too sure if you have to pay the full amount again or not. You will have to wait untill the next set of practicals which will probably be at least 3 months from when you take your one. And I think I'm right in saying you only have to retake the parts you have failed. Anyway you don't want to think of it like that because you will pass first time!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Not too sure if you have to pay the full amount again or not. You will have to wait untill the next set of practicals which will probably be at least 3 months from when you take your one. And I think I'm right in saying you only have to retake the parts you have failed. Anyway you don't want to think of it like that because you will pass first time!
fingers crossed but need to be prepared.
thanks for the info much appreiciated
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:38 am
Just Joined

adjp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by camacazi
he failed on the roof, he makes kitchens and hadn't done a roof since he was at tech 10 years ago!! he studied like mad for the second test.

hope to be heading to sunshine coast early next year, what about you?
Hi there,

Sorry to crash in here...I was wondering did your hubby have to re-take the whole assessment or just the roof part? Also did you have to pay again for the re-take?

Thanks,

Angie
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:39 am
Just Joined

adjp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for the info!