Query regarding 2 yr full time study

Old Jul 24th 2004, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Mary_kommareddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Query regarding 2 yr full time study

hello..
I am an international student doing my masters in IT in australia.i would complete my masters by nov 2004. I wish to apply for skilled independent migration and This master's program requires 12 subjects to be completed and a full time
student can take 3 to 4 subjects per semester. If I complete this course in 4 semesters taking three subjects per semester, will you consider that as 2 years full time study in Australia, for the purposes of immigration? could you also let me know if there is a permit to apply for so that i can return to my home country after lodging an application for PR under the onshore skilled independent overseas student category? I would appreciate your reply very much.
Waiting for your reply..
Mary KOMMAREDDY
Old Jul 25th 2004, 3:52 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Query regarding 2 yr full time study

Originally posted by Mary_kommareddy
hello..
I am an international student doing my masters in IT in australia.i would complete my masters by nov 2004. I wish to apply for skilled independent migration and This master's program requires 12 subjects to be completed and a full time
student can take 3 to 4 subjects per semester. If I complete this course in 4 semesters taking three subjects per semester, will you consider that as 2 years full time study in Australia, for the purposes of immigration? could you also let me know if there is a permit to apply for so that i can return to my home country after lodging an application for PR under the onshore skilled independent overseas student category? I would appreciate your reply very much.
Waiting for your reply..
Mary KOMMAREDDY
In the UK, 2 semesters = 1 school year. I assume it works the same over there. Don't know anything about that particular visa though I'm afraid. Have you tried looking at www.immi.gov.au for more information??
Old Jul 25th 2004, 3:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Rules for onshore students wanting to get PR are very complex and deadlines are tight. Thousands of students in the last few years have had to go home because they got confused about what they needed to do.

An online forum is no place to try and work out options in this situation - if serious about getting it right, get professional advice.

Jeremy

Originally posted by mlbonner
In the UK, 2 semesters = 1 school year. I assume it works the same over there. Don't know anything about that particular visa though I'm afraid. Have you tried looking at www.immi.gov.au for more information??
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by JAJ
Rules for onshore students wanting to get PR are very complex and deadlines are tight. Thousands of students in the last few years have had to go home because they got confused about what they needed to do.

An online forum is no place to try and work out options in this situation - if serious about getting it right, get professional advice.

Jeremy
Hi..
Thanks for the reply. The following link displays this information:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...oints_test.htm

You have completed full time study in Australia for a total of at least 2 years (2 academic years) towards the award of a degree, diploma or trade qualification

could you explain this?
waiting for your reply..
Mary
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Goochc0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi..
Thanks for the reply. The following link displays this information:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...oints_test.htm

You have completed full time study in Australia for a total of at least 2 years (2 academic years) towards the award of a degree, diploma or trade qualification

could you explain this?
waiting for your reply..
Mary
Hi Mary

I am planning to go to do a Masters in Business at University of South Australia in Adelaide. I will also be doing the course the way you asked about.
Three subjects every 2 terms (1 semester). The course I am doing will just count as full time (20 hours or more I think) and 4 semesters is 2 academic years.

There has also been a temporary bridging Visa for students whci gives an extra 6 monhs to have skills assessed and arrange Visa application but you need to move fast.

I will be applying for Skilled onshore Visa or SIR/STNI at end of course.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Goochc0
Hi Mary

I am planning to go to do a Masters in Business at University of South Australia in Adelaide. I will also be doing the course the way you asked about.
Three subjects every 2 terms (1 semester). The course I am doing will just count as full time (20 hours or more I think) and 4 semesters is 2 academic years.

There has also been a temporary bridging Visa for students whci gives an extra 6 monhs to have skills assessed and arrange Visa application but you need to move fast.

I will be applying for Skilled onshore Visa or SIR/STNI at end of course.
hi..
Thanks for the reply.could you please let me know could you also let me know if there is a permit to apply for so that i can return to my home country after lodging an application for PR under the onshore skilled independent overseas student category?
Thanks again..
Mary
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Goochc0 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi..
Thanks for the reply.could you please let me know could you also let me know if there is a permit to apply for so that i can return to my home country after lodging an application for PR under the onshore skilled independent overseas student category?
Thanks again..
Mary

Sorry don't know about this - have a look at www.immi.gov.au this is usually where I find out most of the info I need.
I would n't be planning to come back to UK while they were deciding as I personally would not do anything to jeopardise the application.
The extension Visa is only for 6 months I'm sure I could wait until the decision was made then I could come and go as I pleased.

Good luck and let us know how you get on